Anime is now 100 years old!

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Kerberos, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos elitist in denial
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey guess who just turned 100 today? That's right, anime! It's been exactly 100 years since the release of the first official piece of Japanese animation. Though earlier pieces are rumored to exist, their exact dates cannot be specified hence 1917 is often regarded as the year anime was born.

So happy birthday anime. And may you continue to live and thrive and give immense joy and pleasure to audiences around the globe for another century.

Source: http://www.anime-now.com/entry/2017/01/11/000040?utm_campaign=ANN

käwäii, Narilka and tripplej like this.
  2. Kuze

Kuze Review Bot Reloaded 2.0
    Contributor

Certainly the hippest anime ever. Attack On Titan? Pffft.

tripplej likes this.
  3. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo Lovely Rapist
    Silver Founder

Happy Birthday Anime!!!!!

How terrible and boring my life would be without you.

4. Novaire

Novaire Wrestling Enthusiast, Serial Editor
    Gold Founder Contributor

I've got nothing clever to offer in terms of commentary. Happy new year.

Maybe I'll watch something today.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  5. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

What, 100 years? Wow, that's actually pretty impressive. I had no idea it had been around so long.

6. StrawHats

StrawHats Fruits Chinpo Samurai G
    Moderator Founder

First 90 years were great, more or less. But the previous decade has been eh. A few juicy grapes in the bunch, but the majority has been nasty raisins. Here's to hoping the following years pick up the slack so anime can reach 200.

7. DamianWinters

DamianWinters Active Member

haha what? have you even watched an anime thats over like 30 years old? some of the best anime ever have come out in the last decade.

8. StrawHats

Moderator Founder

Son Goku is disappointed and Roshi is just face palming (or maybe he's stopping a nosebleed). Meanwhile Mifune is just speeding through, laughing.

If you didn't catch it, the answer was yes. And like I said:

9. Kerberos

Staff Member Moderator

Hmmm I have to respectfully disagree. It all depends on your tastes ofc but I would say that with the exception of a dip in quality between 2008 and 2012 due to the Japanese economy being in the gutter anime hasn't really gotten better or worse. There are good years, there are average years and there are great years. Like for instance 2016 which honestly could rival 2007 in the amount of quality shows and hidden gems that were released.

Anime is changing ofc but I don't think it's getting better or worse. Just different. One major change that I've been seeing for the past two years is that anime is starting to target an older audience than it did before. I've noticed that people who got into anime in their teens continue to watch it but the next generation isn't as fond of the medium as our generation is. And this apparently is also somewhat of a problem in Japan. So what you see now is more and more shows geared towards twenty-somethings. Rather than teenagers.

Just look at the huge amount of shows from last year that were targeted towards an olr with all adult casts. In terms of historical series you had dramas about actors in the 1920 (Showa Rakugo) gangsters in the 1930s (91 Days) and spies in the 1940s (Joker Game). We got a terriffic office drama with The Great Passageand there was Erased, a sci fi thriller based on a seinen manga with an adult lead character. Hell we even got a high school slice of life show with a cast that consisted of largely twenty-something in the form of ReLIFE. And let's not forget we got two moe shows with a cast consisting entirely of adults in the form of New Game and Girlish Number. We also got two different shows abour parenting with Sweetness and Lightning and Poco's Udon World. We had a sports drama featuring two leads in their twenties in the form of Yuri on Ice and even the big action fantasy blockbusters like Berserk and Drifters featured all adult casts. And this trend is continuing this year if winter's any indication. We have Acca, a show based on a seinen manga with an all adult cast, Interviews with Monster Girls which is a high school slice of life show (of sorts) but the main character is the teacher and not a student. The wonderfully whacky looking Miss Kobayashi's Dargon-Maid which is a show about an office lady, Onihei which is a historical police drama and Saga of Tanya the Evil which features a little girl...who is actually an adult.

There are of course still a good number of shows targeted at teenagers. And there should be because they are still the demo as well. But we're starting to see a much more diverse landscape in terms of demographics. Which you may or may not like but for anime to diversify and evolve is necesarry for it's continued existence.

10. DamianWinters

Oh yea I forgot how old Dragon ball is, watched anything older than that though?

11. StrawHats

Moderator Founder

^ Google it if you have to

@Kerberos: I'd have to disagree to a certain degree as well; 2016 for anime was disappointing. I watched 2 or 3 that came out last year (excluding new seasons of past series) and they were decent at best. For example, I'm currently watching Occultic;Nine with my girlfriend and we just don't have the enthusiasm to watch it and I had high hopes for it. We'd choose between anime or Dexter and we won't even hesitate to go with Dexter. I've watched so much in the past that my standards for anime is either really high or really crappy that I need to see just how crappy it is to verify and enjoy it's crapiness. Good way to waste time and laugh (similar to what @Narilka does with horror b-movies). Of course there are exceptions like ongoing anime that's been running 1998-present.

Don't get me wrong, anime is still coolio. But I find myself re-watching older series than getting into new ones because I've been let down one too many times.

12. DamianWinters

2016 had some great to amazing anime, My Hero Academia (my now favourite), Grimgar of fantasy and ash, Dimension W, Handa-kun, Planetarian, Saiki K, Season 2 of Assassination classroom, Haikyuu season 3, Magi: Sinbad adventures, Ajin season 1. Almost everything I watched from 2016 was good to literally my favourite ever.

13. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou Greasy Knucklehead
    Contributor

Same here. The difference between anime series then and now is very telling - as most new series are a lot tamer and less willing to explore darker topics, I find that the older series have the themes I'm looking for. Off the top of my head, I've seen kids call Attack on Titan one of the grittiest shows they've seen. But if you put that next to some of the older series, AOT doesn't stand a chance.

But the later series have their merits, too. I've come to appreciate the newer crop just recently, because I find them a lot funnier and that they progress quicker than the older series. What I think this is, is just a sign of the changing times. Which is good, of course. With this many changes in the anime scene, we're guaranteed a wide variety of choices to choose from, no matter the genre.

I used to think all new anime was crap, but some of the more recent series are forcing me to change my mind. So, while I'll always prefer the older series, I admit that all generations of the industry have their own merits and demerits. Makes me wonder now how anime'll look like in the next ten years.

14. StrawHats

Moderator Founder

This is a good example of my experience. When Magi's anime first came out, I was hooked. And I loved the first season. When season two came out, I still liked it but it was not as good. Then Sinbad no Bouken started. That's when I dropped it. My interest in Magi was ruined. That applies to D-Gray Man: Hallow and Berserk (2016) as well.

15. Kerberos

Staff Member Moderator

@StrawHats, @Tonto-banchou : I think you've simply looked past the shows that would appeal to you and your tastes. There are so many anime these days it's hard to find shows that will appeal to you.

For instance @Tonto-banchou you said you're looking for something grittier. Last year's Ajin will probably be right up your alley. I don't think I mentioned this in my review since it wasn't a focal point for me but Ajin is kind of a dark and violent show with a very pessimistic worldview. I would also recommend 91 Days which is definitely somewhat grittier as well. Focussing on gangsters in the 1930s and has a few really rather dark moments. And trust me, I know dark and gritty when I see it. I've seen Texhnolyze...twice...

List some of your favourite shows from the past and I'll see if I can find a more modern equivalent that's just as good if not better.

Also a bit OT but necessary: if you;re watching Dexter. Do yourself a favor and stop after season 5. It's for the best. Trust me.

16. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou Greasy Knucklehead
    Contributor

I guess this is a factor, yeah. But I guess I was talking about the more mainstream anime series that came out. Of course, I'm not speaking for all of the new stuff, but there was a time that the most popular ones had a "cutesy," schoolgirl, lolita trend to them. I like that the newer series, especially those that came out in 2016, are looking to change the trend.

It's kind of hard to explain properly, but there's just that different sort of feel with older anime you don't get with the newer ones. To me, they feel way darker and angrier. Kind of like how movies made in the 90's had angrier tones than movies today. Also kind of like the popularity of detective/law enforcement TV shows in the 90's to early 2000's, compared to dating/awkward protagonist-fueled sitcoms now.

lols my brain did a fart and I forgot about this for a minute. Have to agree, this is a great example of the dark, newer series.

Kerberos likes this.
  17. Kerberos

Staff Member Moderator

Well yeah, mainstream anime is a bit more tame nowadays perhaps but then I don't really are about mainstream anime in any case. Also there have been some rather hardboiled, gritty mainstream shows in recent years. Like Jormungand for instance. Or Psycho Pass. Like I said just throw some shows at me that you really liked and I'll see if I can come up with a contemporary equivalent that's just as good if not better.

*cough* True Detective *cough* ;)

Tonto-banchou likes this.
  18. Narilka

Narilka Well-Known Member
    Moderator Platinum Founder

@StrawHats I watched a couple of new anime this season and they are definitely worthy of making fun of.

StrawHats likes this.
  19. DamianWinters

Theres always terrible anime from every year and if you only try a couple then its pretty likely you will find bad ones, what shows did you actually watch? for me I think I only watched one bad anime called Servamp and one rather meh anime called Drifters, the rest were all very good.

#19 DamianWinters, Jan 13, 2017 at 3:02 PM
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017 at 5:35 PM
  20. Narilka

Narilka Well-Known Member
    Moderator Platinum Founder

@DamianWinters I watched Hand Shakers a couple of days ago and I am still laughing about how bad it was and that I actually got fooled by the pretty artwork into watching it. But as from last year I was pretty picky so I didn't watch many and what I did watch I liked.