Horror Reading horror?

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by JennyorAlice, Nov 4, 2016.

1. JennyorAlice

JennyorAlice New Member

Does anyone here like reading from the horror genre? What is your favorite novel/series from the horror genre?

Do you tend to read it at certain times of the year, like around Halloween? Or do you read it all the time?

2. Kuze

Kuze Review Bot Reloaded 2.0
    Contributor

I'm a big fan of the genre but I'm not what you'd say a seasoned reader. I need to read more books definitely. I try to read horror genre any time irrespective of Halloween.

As for favorites I'd list The Tell-Tale Heart and works by M.R. James, Le Fanu, Guy de Maupassant, Nathaniel Hawthorne and others I"m forgetting.

3. Yog Sothoth

Yog Sothoth Visitor

The Fall of the House of Usher by Poe.

4. Setzu

Setzu Senior Member

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. It's basically a fictional journal about a man investigating a home that seems to bend all physical laws. Bigger dimensions on the inside, rooms that shouldn't exist, etc. Almost every page is written differently, sometimes having these madly scrawled diagrams or just blurts of words and nonsensical phrases. I got chills just turning the page, wondering what kind of weird stuff would be on the next one.

5. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

Uzumaki

6. Novaire

Novaire Wrestling Enthusiast, Serial Editor
    Gold Founder Contributor

We read Fevre Dream, George R.R. Martin, recently on Sakuga, which has some prominent horror themes. That's one of my personal favorites.

I've got Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Robert Louis Stevenson, on my desk to be read soon as well.

Narilka likes this.
  7. Narilka

Narilka Well-Known Member
    Moderator Platinum Founder

The Girl next Door by Jack Ketchum it is an amazing psychological horror book, creepy as hell.
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/179735.The_Girl_Next_Door

Pet Cemetery by Stephen King, really good classic, but I remember being it being creepy
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10583.Pet_Sematary

Dark Tower Series by Stephen King, I have never really like westerns but I like this series for some reason. Westerns are set in areas like deserts are so ugly to me.
    https://www.goodreads.com/series/40750-the-dark-tower

Swan Song by Robert McCammon- really good book, I don't hear much about this one but really really well written.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11557.Swan_Song

Scary Stories to tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz- I was really young when I read these books but I still remember them, they are meant for young readers.
    https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/13728.Alvin_Schwartz

8. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

Stephen King lives relatively close to me.

9. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

I like the classics but horror is grey area for me. Its usually page turny if formulaic generally speaking. Last horror book I read was GRR Martins 'The Armageddan Rag.' It was alright, not as good as Fevre Dream which also kinda punched under its weight as a whole.

I liek stories with aspects of horror as opposed to genre pieces. Cormac McCarthy does fantastic horror imo, especially in Blood Meridian. Neil Gaimann and Roald Dahl also spring to mind.

#9 Oh Snape, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  10. JennyorAlice

JennyorAlice New Member

I generally like to read stuff from Joe Hill. Stephen King has a son that is also an author and he writes under the pen name of Joe Hill. He wanted to do this towards the beginning of his career because he wanted to become known for his own work and not for being the son of an already famous author.

Anyway, I have read several of this things and I have several more I need to sit down and read.

11. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Apothicon Cultist
    Platinum Founder

I'll add Bram Stoker's "Dracula," it still holds up pretty well today. Probably the first scary book I couldn't put down.

"I am Legend" was pretty good, the realizations toward the end were interesting and chilling. The 2007 movie doesn't really follow the book, it actually misses the more interesting aspects of the book, so it's totally worth a read even if you watched it.

I mentioned this one before, but: "The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories." There's some masturbation about what the "strange" literary genre is, but the stories are pretty good. I think Lovecraft is pretty good, but this really showed how wide horror genre could be.

12. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Dracula and Frankinstein really are bench marks of the genre.

Have you seen the deleted scene? Its like the book but this was around 9/11 and was deemed too 'terrorist friendly' for audiances.

I think 'The Omega Man' is a better adaptation.

13. Chibiurd07

Chibiurd07 Newbie

In the Miso Soup
    Piercing

Both of those books are by Ryo Murakami