What are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Scruffie, May 23, 2016.

1. Novaire

Novaire Wrestling Enthusiast, Serial Editor
    Gold Founder Contributor

I spent an hour trying to brainstorm features or things I wanted to review, and I had nothing substantial, so I started playing Dead Rising 4 while I thought about it, and then I forgot to do said thinking. The humor in this game is good. It reminds me more of Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent than previous Dead Rising games, but maybe I'm projecting.

Was planning to play the Doom reboot, but that ended up being a 40 gigabyte install with an additional 31 gigabytes in patches. It's still not done!

I also need to get into Catherine at some point. I picked that up for three dollars, which, for any game with Shoji Meguro's composition, is one helluva steal. Thankfully it's backwards-compatible, so I don't have to figure out where to hook up my 360 on my massively overcrowded desk. Ghostbusters (Atari) has also been added, so I'd like to get around to that eventually. Never finished it.

#501 Novaire, Jan 11, 2017 at 2:41 PM
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 2:57 PM
  2. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I haven't played a game in a couple months! man between guitar, doing workouts again and anime i just haven't picked up a controller in a long time.

I haven't even started let alone opened my copy of the most recent sao game. though i did put the figurines together. it was the limited edition. argh i don't even remember the subtitle of the game.

edit - I have had short stints with my retron3 console but no long sessions with real story based games.

#502 yoda313, Jan 11, 2017 at 2:47 PM
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 2:57 PM
  3. Novaire

Gold Founder Contributor

Finally got into Doom. Played a bit over an hour, two levels. I wasn't big on the Wolfenstein reboot, though admittedly I didn't devote more than a half hour to it. Still, I'm very pleased with Doom. Had a lot of fun smashing heads. Very respectable game, feels like modern Doom, and I guess that's what a reboot should be. Worth checking out for sure.

Narilka likes this.
  4. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Apothicon Cultist
    Platinum Founder

@DamianWinters @TonyTony

Play whatever is fun for you, if you don't like PvP that's cool whatever mang.

Despite the lag and other issues I've found the souls series PvP to be really fun. I was incredibly disheartened by how much they shat on invaders in DS3 to conform to all the "plz no bully" players. One thing that bothers me is that the games are clearly not designed with coop in mind, there needs to be new areas, enemies, enemy behaviors/attacks, and other player nerfs to make it actually challenging/fun. Anything to give coop some actual depth beyond being "singplayer+" would be great. Moundmakers covenant was a really good idea, I had a ton of fun doing that.

Magic was broken in previous games for both PvP and PvE, it needed a severe nerf. The new shared estus mechanic forces players to be more strategic, but also encourages players who wouldn't use magic to do so.

It's cool if you don't like PvP, the offline option exists for you, the rest of the community cropped up almost entirely around the multiplayer mechanics though.

I'm currently waiting for Yakuza 0, Resident Evil 7, and Nioh releases. In the meantime I have gone back to BloodBorne since there has been somewhat of a renewed playerbase with the holiday sales. I'm STILL finding new stuff in BloodBorne, it blows my grey matter.

#504 ThisGuy, Jan 11, 2017 at 7:31 PM
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 7:38 PM
  5. DamianWinters

DamianWinters Active Member

Nioh looks really awesome being described as Dark souls mixed with Shadow warrior, Ill have to buy a PS4 this year because there are just to many awesome games coming out and that have already come out. Im excited to play bloodborne sometime, if you had to say which Dark souls do you think it is more like 1, 2 or 3?.

6. Novaire

Gold Founder Contributor

Is there another beta period planned for Nioh? I'd like to try it, and I missed it entirely the first time round.

7. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Apothicon Cultist
    Platinum Founder

@DamianWinters
    Somehow you quoted me but it says you quoted DnJ so I didn't get an alert that your had a response. I've played DeS, DaS, BB, and DaS3. I didn't play DaS2 so I can't speak to that. It's definitely not like Shadow Warrior unless someone is talking exclusively about aesthetics, they have completely different mechanics, stories, perspectives etc. It's kind of like the souls games in that you fight through locations, level up, find checkpoints, and fight a boss at the end of each area.

The big differences lie in the combat mechanics. Each weapon has several styles, each style has it's own set of moves and speed/damage/block modifiers. Overhead style will give you big damage but sacrifice speed and blocking, low style will give you speed and longer reaching moves, middle style will give you the best block with moderate damage and block modifiers. Each style has a combo tree you can unlock, level up, and modify. Much of the combat focuses on managing your stamina called "Ki" in the game. You can switch between styles mid-combat, this lets you combo various attacks and recover Ki. As you expend Ki from attacking you gain it back by resting, you can gain more back during combat by doing a "Ki Pulse" which is like the Gears of War reload minigame where you have to execute a timed button press to regain your energy. Ki pulses are not only important to regain your fighting stamina but they will cleanse Ki sapping pools demons generate in combat. Heavy attacks do big Ki damage so you can stun/exhaust opponents, you can be exhausted if you get hit by Ki damaging attacks which leaves you open.

As you fight and combo you increase your spirit bar, when it's full you can unleash the power of your spirit animal. Which animal you decide to be your spirit will affect some passive bonuses as well as your super attacks. If you die your spirit animal will wait at your grave much like the Souls bloodstains or BB's blood echos. You loses your bonuses until you either recall your spirit or go retrieve it.

Another big difference is the loot system, there's lots of loot, most enemies drop some piece of armor or weapon, when you summon in Revenants (ghosts of other players) you see what rarity of armor they have so you can debate whether it's worth fighting them for a chance for a drop.

The weapons are all Samurai standard variants: Katana, Axe, Naginata, Bows, Matchlocks. All are pretty fun to use, I really like the Naginata+matchlock combo.

You can coop missions but coop suffers the same problem the Souls series does in that it can be a bit easy. In the beta they added Twilight missions which are modified missions that have new enemies, and a higher difficulty. IMO Twilight missions should be multiplayer variants of the standard missions.

In the Alpha/Beta each mission was separate with like mission select map screen, so it lacks the continuity present in the Souls games.

Good news and bad news for you dude,

The good news is you can play the full game soon because the full game is being released at the beginning of Feburary., the bad news is that you missed out on earning the alpha/beta unlocks for the full game. It's not a big deal because they are some helmets if I recall.

Some of us here were playing the alpha/beta builds and have some thoughts in this thread for anyone who is interested: http://www.sakugacity.com/threads/nioh.190/

8. DamianWinters

DamianWinters Active Member

The Ki thing with timers that you have to pull sounds annoying to me, its like putting quick time events in combat, I like that theres more loot though but does it also mean the loot is going to be randomly generated? ive never liked randomly generated loot over specifically selected stuff placed where it should be. I didn't even like in Dark souls that the enemys didn't drop everything they had even though you can see the damn equipment on them, but it definitely didn't stop me liking them alot.

Those aren't huge things though and the game still looks like it will be alot of fun and the shadow warrior thing is just the setting but non modern with the demons and samurai stuff going on.

9. Novaire

Gold Founder Contributor

Bummer. Don't really mind the early unlock stuff, but I'd have liked to have tried it.

I'm not huge on the Souls style of game, but I like Onimusha, and aesthetically, this could very well be one of them.

---

I've played a bit more of Doom today. I maintain everything I said before. It is the perfect revival of a dormant franchise. Maintaining the core mechanics of the series, and bringing in new ones which allows them to keep that Doom pace. It's a thing of beauty, not something I'd expect to say about a game in the series, I must admit.

I picked up God Eater 2: Rage Burst today. Gamestop had the Day One edition, so I managed to get a copy of God Eater: Resurrection as well. Dunno what I plan on doing with that, as I jumped right into Rage Burst. Really fun. Customization is good, there aren't a massive amount of options, but, more importantly, they all look nice.

#509 Novaire, Jan 12, 2017 at 8:00 PM
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017 at 6:18 PM
  10. Novaire

Gold Founder Contributor

I traded God Eater 2: Rage Burst back in for a refund. I really like the game, but $40 is an iffy investment when I have no real problem with waiting for it to drop a bit lower. I might even use the opportunity to play through the first one on PSP, as I have yet to do that.

I had a buy-one-get-one-free coupon on pre-owned games, of which I took advantage. I got Samurai Warriors 4: Empires and Tales of Zestriria, and got Toukiden: Kiwami for free. I basically got Tales because I couldn't find anything else I wanted, and I needed to use the coupon.

I've only gotten into Samurai Warriors 4: Empires thus far, and It's really good. A large improvement over Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires, which I found to be a lackluster entry into the sub-series. I was skeptical about the changes here, but I think they've worked out for the better. Genesis mode is really cool, being able to set ambitions and the like is just great. I haven't played a Samurai Warriors entry since the first game on PlayStation 2, so it's been interesting to see where this and DW have differed.

---

Forgot that I also started playing Catherine this morning. I love it. Super weird, but really fun. The music has been great, as expected from Shoji Meguro. The song in the sort-of intro movie could've been cut from Persona 3, so you know I'm digging that.

#510 Novaire, Jan 14, 2017 at 6:21 PM
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017 at 6:41 PM
  11. Narilka

Narilka Well-Known Member
    Moderator Platinum Founder

I have been playing Grand Theft Auto Final Fantasy verson. Ugh, feels like it takes forever to get to quests, and Prompto and his lame selfies. There are soooo many cool things about it but yea it's definitely different than the other FF games I have played. So far I give it a 7/ 10, but I am not finished it yet.

12. Novaire

Gold Founder Contributor

No kidding. If you played the Advance version of Final Fantasy IV during the mindless running and driving, you'd probably finish it well before XV comes to a close, haha.

13. Narilka

Narilka Well-Known Member
    Moderator Platinum Founder

@Novaire this is the first FF I have played since 11 I think. Very different than what I am used to with FF.

Novaire likes this.
  14. Wind Adept

Wind Adept New Member

I got myself The Witcher 3 over the holidays. My opinion? this game is quite incredible! I was pleasantly surprised. It's been several years since I've been this immersed in a game's world.
    There's just so much to do, even if you're adamant on continuing the main quests you could still waste hours just doing all the secondary quests. I'll admit the battles are taking me a bit to get used to (I was dying quite a bit when I first started :p) but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.
    There's still a lot of things I have yet to fully figure out (mainly the alchemy and crafting stuff) I'm only about 10 hours into the game though and from what I've heard I have a crap ton to go so I'll have plenty of time to figure that all out XD

15. Novaire

Gold Founder Contributor

Played a lot in the past couple days.

Haven't gotten back into Doom or Catherine yet, though I find myself thinking about how much I like the latter quote a bit.

I've played about three campaigns in Samurai Warriors 4: Empires. Rarely do I find games where I'll just sit and play ten hours or so straight, but this is doing it for me. It's not anywhere near as impactful as Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires was for me, which probably ate up an entire month of my life, but I'm having a good time with it.

I'm about ten hours into Toukiden: Kiwami, which has been really fun. I was using the rifle, but when I had to do a solo boss battle, I realised how ineffective it was, possibly because of mine own ignorance, but I digress. I ended up switching to the spear, which helped me to complete that quest far quicker.

Tales of Zestiria too. I played through the first two hours or so twice. There's a bit where you could avoid selling a key item by talking to a particular NPC, and for whatever reason, they made that only work the first time you talked to them, so like a good role-player, I went and did everything over again. Haven't gotten much further than that really.