Yugioh Card Game

Discussion in 'Table Top & CCG's' started by Kaynil, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Kaynil

Kaynil Newbie

I'll bite the bullet.

During high school, Yugioh used to be big. A few of my friends were into it so I decided to give it a go. It was my time with any kind of card trading kind of game. I was also enjoying the first seasons of the anime so the gaming decks of the characters from the show were being sold.

My base deck was that of May, but it has gotten mixed with Joeys and Yugi's, as my brother also got into it really quickly and we started buying what we could of it. So my deck right now is a mixture.

I haven't played in over a decade and I haven't done anything to keep in the loop or better my deck, it is more of a vault of memories of the fun I had back then with it. One of our friends kept snubbing us for playing that instead of MTG, haha. But in Mexican pesos , Yugi ones cost just a fraction of MTG and we had already spent too much money like to commit to a whole new game and new expenses with only one more person to play with, so my friend and I would keep on playing our decks even if we even got called names for it, since Yugi "is such an obvious ripoff" and "we should be playing the original and superior one instead".

The cards I remember being attached to were the Neo knight (boy that guy just would pop at the right time) and the spirit of the rolling flame. People minimised him and that allowed me to turn the tables around if I could protect him for the first few turns. :D

Anyway, good memories. Did anyone ever give Yugioh a try?
    Maybe recently? I'd be at loss with a recent deck. I bet a lot has changed.

2. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 lord jupiter

I played off and on since the first packs hit shelfs up untill just a few years ago. By that time the game had gotten super meta and it seemed like the way to play was whoever had the fastest deck wins and honestly it just wasn't fun anymore. When i did play i usually did my own thing and formed and occasionally upgraded what i eventually began calling a power burn deck, which was filled with strong monsters and cards that dealt damage to my opponents. My favorite cards were firedarts, volcanic slicer, needle wall, and barrel dragon.
    i also made other decks like one i called shifting shadows which centered around the card of the same name. Basically it's a deck based on psychological warfare, what would happen is along with flip and trigger effect monsters i also had monsters that could be flipped face down after being flipped face up and due to the shifting shadows card i could shuffle up all my monsters and then place them back down in any order i chose. I also played with more traditional decks. I was particularly fond of the Gemini monsters as well as the morphtronics and roid monsters. It was a realy fun game and i kinda miss playing it but I've been out for so long if i were to start back up now i wouldn't know where to start

3. Novaire

Novaire Wrestling Enthusiast, Serial Editor
    Gold Founder Contributor

I played Yu-Gi-Oh for many years, but the balance and ban-list just became impossible to deal with. Eventually I stopped buying cards, still competing with my Dark Magicians and a few other decks with friends online, but at a certain point, when you have no interest in the new archetypes, it's just not really possible to stay in contention with people that use those actively. I haven't played in years now, but I still keep my cards, I've had a lot of fun with them, and they've given me a lot back, I met a few of my closest friends playing it.

Music To Duel By is also a dope album. :notworthy:

4. Kuze

Kuze Review Bot Reloaded 2.0
    Contributor

Same here. I think I threw them out a few months back (or maybe not, can't remember). I was more into Duel Masters though. They were the greater rage in my circle.

5. Randoms

Randoms Ridiculously Awesome Randomness
    Silver Founder Plus

I used to collect the cards, but eventually stopped. No one I knew played so it was just me vs my siblings. I now play off and on at the Duelnetwork website where I can make any deck I want. I do it mainly for fun. I've stopped trying to get back into the game since dueling has become annoying complicated between pendulum summons and XYZ summons and cards that let you summon powerful monsters for free with no consequence to the summoner.

My favorite card is Solar Flare Dragon. It's effect prevents it from being destroyed with another pyro on the field while at the same time hurts your opponents lp each turn. It's a pyro itself so two of them can be hard to deal with.

6. Matemar

Matemar Well-Known Member

Ummm.... Duel Network was shutdown because of legal problems....

7. Randoms

Randoms Ridiculously Awesome Randomness
    Silver Founder Plus

Well I now no longer play off and on. Now it's just off.

8. Struggler

Struggler Sentient Meat
    Platinum Founder

I only ever collected the cards, just like with Pokemon and Digimon, never played the card games. I recently found the book with all my Yugioh cards in it, too.

9. Ravok

Ravok ~Hoping he will get a reply soon

I used both a cloudian deck and a heroic challanger deck, the heroic challanger deck basically had an xyz monster as win condition, not fun for a lot of people, but summoning it is the bes tthign ever

10. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo Lovely Rapist
    Silver Founder

I used to play a lot when I was younger. I had a ton of decks but my favorite was a forbidden deck based around Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End, which just happens to be my favorite card. Too bad he was so broken.

I had a lot of rare cards and they were worth a lot if I remember correctly. Sadly, one big argument with my wife and she had poured water all over them and basically ruined like 70% of my cards. I salvaged what I could but I started drifting away from them. Once they started coming out with these complicated ass ways of summoning cards like Synchro summoning, pendulum and all that shit, I just totally lost interest and ended up throwing the rest away. I kinda miss it, but doubt I would invest in it again like I did unless they went back to how it was before all the crazy ass summoning shit.

11. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 lord jupiter

I will say, i did like xyz monsters because they were atleast original unlike synchros which i always looked at as a cheap fusion/ritual hybrid knockoff