Fantasy 18if

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Shannon Apple, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Genre: Fantasy
    Studio: Gonzo
    Source: Mobile Game

[​IMG]

Synopsis
    Haruto Tsukishiro wakes up in a dream world and sees a mysterious girl named Lily. He meets Katsumi Kanzaki, learns of the existence of witches, and gets involved in various incidents. (source ANN via Anime-Planet.com)

There is a limited amount of information available on this show at this time. From what I've learned from other sources online, this anime is based on a mobile puzzle game. Each episode is directed by a different person.

First episode airs on 7th July

2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Crunchyroll announced that it'll stream the series starting on Friday for members in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and the Netherlands.

Funimation will stream a simuldub of the series.

3. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Was intrigued by the presence of Koji Morimoto on the staff, so figured I'd give this a shot. Unsure if I'd want a huge amount of it, but it's not bad - I like its psychedelic Alice in Wonderland schtick. The obvious lack of budget is a bit disappointing and it seems quite low stakes at the moment, but I'll give it a couple of episodes at least.

4. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

18if Opening Full - Red Doors feat. Yoshikazu Mera by TeddyLoid

5. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Aesthetically, this game is definitely taking some inspiration from Catherine.

The logo on the promotional image shares several similarities, it's the same color, and the font styling is also incredibly familiar. The promotional image also uses the split character image from Catherine's logo. The more normal looking lady has darker hair and glasses, whereas the mysterious one has blonde hair and I believe a white dress, The other world is more colorful, but not especially different from the one in the Atlus game, though I suppose Catherine's is also just a surrealist world and not super unique, so I can't fault it for that.

Hell, it even has sheep in it.

---

With all that said, this was one of the more interesting series of the season for me, so I'll be checking it out at some point.

6. DamianWinters

DamianWinters Active Member

Episode 1 of this show was definitely a miss for me, but episodes 2 and 3 were just awesome. If anyone dropped this because of episode 1 I urge them to give the show another shot because each episode is very different from the next. Im sad that this show has such a low score of MAL and the only reason I can think for it to be that low is from everyone dropping it on episode 1 or rating it because of episode 1 and not changing their score later.

I look forward to more episodes like 2 and 3 from this anime, because if so it should be one of the best this season.

7. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

@DamianWinters

Is the animation similar to the MekakuCity Actors anime? Or to be more specific, how is the animation of the show?

8. DamianWinters

DamianWinters Active Member

I haven't watched MekakuCity Actors, but the animation and art varies between each episode because a different director is in control each time. I really like the way that it changes between each episode to match whats happening in the episode, goes well with the dream aspect of the show. This does mean it can vary in quality though and I don't think its a very big budget anime but beyond the first episode I like what they do with what they have.

Kuze likes this.