3 Things Naruto Did Amazingly Well (But Eventually Ruined)

KT takes a look at the strengths and weaknesses of one of the most popular anime of all time
By KT Samurai, Dec 16, 2016 | Updated: Dec 19, 2016 | |
Average User Rating:
5/5,
  1. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

#1 KT Samurai, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Raffee, Shi, Matemar and 1 other person like this.
  2. Captain Picard

Captain Picard Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.
    Platinum Founder

Agreed on all points. Naruto was an awesome show which got worse as Shippuden progressed.

3. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Spoken like any true jaded fan of a series. I'm at work, but I had to log in quickly just to tell you how much I enjoyed reading it. I was a casual Naruto viewer when it started out, but my interest began to wane when I moved over to Bleach.

And speaking of familiar feelings, that frustrated tone you used for this piece reminds me a lot of my own personal feelings for Bleach. They're kind of the same, now that I think about it - good series that started off with so much potential and promise, only to fizzle out into a pile of dipshit towards the end.

4. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

This was a really good review! You should do more of these when you have the time.

5. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I liked the series for a brief time before the... forest test? It's been more than ten years, you've gotta cut me some slack. I ended up bowing out during that arc, so quite early. Something about it was really rubbing me the wrong way.

6. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

KT is such a hater. Naruto is the greatest anime series ever created. Shippuden just made the series Great again. You guys just don't see the awesomeness of Naruto. You guys need to watch and study this anime closely to see how to make perfect anime. This is the greatest anime there is, there ever was, and there ever will be!!!!!!

Yes I am using Bullshit-No-Jutsu right now.

7. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Reminds me of Trump's campaign platform.

Also, Bret Hart.

#7 Novaire, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Matemar, Dunn x Dolo and Shi like this.
  8. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

Shippuden definitely ruined the series.

I loved the beginning of Naruto a ton, with all the teamwork stuff. Honestly, if it drew more inspiration from sports manga, I think it would be the coolest shit ever.

In recent history, I think Kuroko no Baske and Haikyuu handled what Naruto tried to do best.
    Using the idea of ridiculous abilities and skill along side teamwork.

Kuroko took that idea to the extreme for sure, but with every extreme, there was a counter or a level of effort required to do well against unwinnable odds. Towards the end, it definitely got a bit stupid, but the author definitely knew when to quit while he was ahead.

Haikyuu, on the other hand, is a little more grounded, but it's fun seeing a team get trashed completely for 2 seasons straight, then come back and win with their wits alone. In most cases, it always doubles back to trusting your team and working together... and they double down on this a lot more than any other sports series I've ever seen. No one has stupid abilities or eye jutsu or nuclear weaposn. Essentially, the equivalent to a nuclear weapon in this series is just raw talent and skill.

I think if Naruto kept with it, it would've been a lot of fun and towards the end, it definitely showed the potential of what it could have been. For example: When Sasuke used Amaterasu, Naruto knowing that wind will fan the flames and spread it, used nature affinity to boost the effectiveness of that ability.

In my honest opinion, the teamwork stuff completely outclasses the "parallels" that Kishimoto tried to draw.
    I much rather see Sasuke and Naruto grow as a team, using their abilities and skill to augment one another than the stupidity of them having almost the same childhood experiences going separate paths.

Just think of the missed opportunities, especially against Pain.
    Naruto throws a Resengan that was augmented with wind.
    Sasuke uses his fire to turn it into a god damn flaming ball of doom.

Another missed opportunity is doubling down on the different villages. Mist being known to have affinities toward Water and with most people knowing that the Uchiha clan is about Fire, they would have destroyed a Naruto + Sasuke combo.

But because Sasuke also learned how to master lightning, he would've been able to fight back, leaving Naruto to come up with a solution to boost his effectiveness.

... Ugh. It's shit like this that makes me sad, because there is so much lost potential.

9. Zoltor

Zoltor Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Wow, and I always thought I wrote big posts.

There's a lot more direct way to fix Naruto. Remove Sasuke, and Sakura altogether, they are among the worst, most uninteresting, useless characters ever created. Then make Hinata a main character(You know, a character that is not only very interesting, but very likable as well), which would also make neiji a pretty major character as well(also not a bad thing, as his hostility towards Hinata will further encourage char development), and remove that 2nd series from existence(It's the series that caused most of your issues anyway I gather, out side of Sasuke/Sakura existing that is). Turning a properly made long series into a cash cow, is the fastest way to ruin a awesome franchise.

10. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Hmmm that sounds kinda interesting. I'm curious too see how this version would turn out.

I prefer Slam Dunk over Kuroko no Basket. I wish Slam Dunk had more episodes and the manga more chapters.

I actually found Hinata to be quite annoying, but I changed my mind later on when her character developed more. I like her better in Shippuden.

Tonto-banchou likes this.
  11. Zoltor

Zoltor Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Well if Sakura, and Sasuke didn't exist, Hinata wouldn't have been basically ignored in the original series to beginwith sigh

12. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Sakura was, and still is annoying, and Sasuke is.... well.... he is just being a Sasuke. In the Naruto abridged they made him an emo, and it was totally on the mark.

Chloe likes this.
  13. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

I really enjoyed Naruto, but Shippuuden was terrible.

14. Zoltor

Zoltor Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Not surprising, I mean that's her entire concept to beginwith, without that, what would Sakura have to define herself by.

He has no personality, no desires/wants, and no will to even exist, there really Isn't much of anything you can do with it.

For ref, a actual great example of how to do a dark/gloomy char, is Eugene in Hanasakeru Seishounen. The author of Naruto should take notes.

15. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

Slam Dunk was actually realistic.

16. Raffee

Raffee Panda
    Platinum Founder

Thanks for posting this amazing review here, KT! This is honestly the best Naruto analysis I've read. Every point is so accurate.

I'll use this as a weapon if I happen to have a petty Naruto argument with a friend in the future mwehe.

17. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Most definitely. Kuroko was too cutesy for me and I wasn't able to get into any of the characters. But Slam Dunk, besides being more realistic, had the more relatable and well-written characters. I always say that Sakuragi Hanamichi had one of the better and more realistic shonen hero character arcs I've seen.

As for Sakura, I actually thought she got better as the series went on. Outside her obsession with Sasuke, I thought she was a pretty okay character, if not a little damsel-y in some instances. But I think she really started to come into her own when she started to train under Tsunade. At least then, she had a new identity to live by besides being Sasuke Fangirl #167.

Plus, I really did think she was a much better match for Naruto than Hinata. It really bummed me out to see her get back with Sasuke in the end - felt kind of like the author completely undid every character development episode she got.

18. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Yes, it was. As someone who plays and practices basketball I never had that moment where I jumped and yelled "that's some BS right there!". Everything was in the limits of possible, while Kuroko was almost a superpower anime where they yelled the move they were doing out loud.

Yes, I actually agree. At one point I found Sakura to be getting much better after training with Tsunade, but then I got pissed when she casually forgave Sasuke for running of, almost killing Naruto, being a rouge ninja, doing various crimes and almost killing her (all that happened recently). I would have been much happier with her if she used at least one super punch on him, and Sasuke taking it like a man.

Tonto-banchou likes this.
  19. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

Yeah, Naruto was full of dumb plotholes.

20. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

This is probably the best thing that I have read all week. Way to go @KT Samurai

KT Samurai likes this.