Sci-Fi A.I.C.O. - Incarnation

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Kerberos, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

Set in the near future in Japan, year 2035. A major incident was known as "Burst" which was caused by researching artificial life. A certain AI called "Matter" has eroded the Kurobe Gorge. Entering the research city, which has been called as humanity's last hope, has been prohibited by the government. Two years later, Aiko Tachibana, a 15-year-old girl who lost her family from the incident, was told by a transfer student named Yuuya Kanzaki the truth that Aiko didn't know regarding a secret hidden within her body. The key to solve the mystery is said to be in the Primary Point, the center of Burst. When a boy and a girl, who bears the future of humanity, meet, what will be the new truth?

(Source: MAL News)

2. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Just finished this and well...to be completel honest...

This was the best experience I've had watching anime in several years!

This is the third anime directed by Kazuya Murata who previously directed the teriffic Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet and the flawed yet incredibly unique and thought provoking Kado - the Right Answer. And this show is yet again another highly entertaining and thought provoking sci fi anime. In fact I'd say it's his best work to date. The show starts off strong and keeps up that level of quality throughout without a single slip up. The writing is impeccable. It presents us with a very well realized setting full of interesting technology and cool new concepts and from ther egoes on to deiscuss a variety of compelling thematic ideas. It introduces a cast of characters that it then goes onto to all flesh out throughout the story. It gifts us an edge of your seat exciting grand adventure where everything is at stake and you can feel the clock ticking and a complex plot full of mysteries and sudden reveals yet ultimately manages to tie up every story strand in a wholly sattisfying manner with one of the best climaxes in recent years.

Visually this show is also quite impressive with a nice and consistent eastethic and really awesome action sequences. Murata isn't exactly an experienced action director with Gargantia only having a handful of action sequences and Kado having none. Nonetheless he proves himself most adept at creating cool looking action over and over again with some very inspired camera angles and movements.

Backing this up is a fantastic soundtrack. Like Murata's previous two works the music was once again done by Taro Iwashiro and while I don't recall much about his Gargantia soundtrack other than that I really liked it, I remember with his OST for Kado I loved his grand orchestrations but sometimes felt they seemed a little out of place given the more toned down nature of that show. Here though they really shine and makes this sci fi adventure feel even more epic than it already is.

All in all A.I.C.O. Incarnation was a phenomenal show. In 12 episodes it told a complete story and it was an amazing story told very well. It knew exactly the kind of show it wanted to be and went for it straight away creating an epic sci fi adventure with pitch perfect pacing, a teriffic story full of cool concepts and interesting thematic ideas backep up by a solid visual presentation and an amazing soundtrack. This is by far the best anime Netflix has produced so far as well as the first real winner of 2018. And it for me it is an instant favourite.

And yes I'll say it...hands down AOTS!

This is a solid recommendation for everyone but the most ardent sci fi haters.

And since I don't plan on doing a full review for this anytime soon I'll just outright say it: this show is most definitally

KERBEROS RECOMMENDED

#2 Kerberos, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  3. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Netflix sent me an email recommending this. Actually they sent my wife a message, even though they ask who’s watching they always seem to cross up the recommendations. I thought it sounded interesting from their write up, but now Kerberos makes it into a must see. Looks like it’s going in the queue.

Kerberos likes this.
  4. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I will say though...that line about it being the best experience I've had with anime in several years, while entirely true, is just a personal observation and has everything to do with my taste so it might well not be for you.

That being said it is imo one of the most well written and well executed anime of the last few years and definitely the best new anime of 2018 thus far.

So in short I'm more than willing to vouch for the quality of this show. Just not the enjoyment factor since that's such a personal thing and a trap I've fallen into many a time with people who recommended me anime they really enjoyed.

I hope you do enjoy it though. Hell if you enjoy only half as much as I did it you'll still have an amazing time!

5. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

You had me at director of gargantia. Definitely gonna check this out

Kerberos likes this.
  6. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

This better not be a waste of weed.

7. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

If you're smoking it is it really being wasted?

8. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

I like to partake in origami during the intro. So yes.