Discussion Ad supported mobile games

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Daniel, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Daniel

Daniel Newbie

Lots of mobile games that are free tend to have ads in them. Do you not play those games or do you only have a problem with the ads if they are super intrusive? I usually do not have an issue with ads in mobiles games (especially when the games free) as long as they aren't popping up every 5 seconds or are right where I need to touch to play.

2. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

I don't mind the presence of ads themselves unless they're the pop up kind that pop up at random, or the kind that pop up so often the game is more ad than it is game. Also those ads that last 30 seconds before you can click the nearly invisible X can go to hell.

Daniel likes this.
  3. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I hate ads in games, which is why I usually will pay money for an ad-free game. There are some games though that at least know how to make ads that don't mess up gameplay and I can tolerate those at least. Games that force you to watch an add though really annoy me and is usually an auto uninstall from me.

I mean I can understand some games and apps use ads to make a profit if its a free game, but at least make the ads as non-disruptive as possible.

Daniel likes this.
  4. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

I agree with Dunn, I don’t have a problem with ads, just not the ones that pop up and block the whole screen. Same can be said with websites.

5. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I don't mind ads if they're done tastefully. Some of them might have a small pop up that appears and disappears in the bottom right corner asking you to try out a similar game, or whatever. Those ones are acceptable because they normally appear on the map or menu screens and not in the middle of your game. I understand that the people who make these games and provide them for free need to be making some sort of income, and that's fine.

BUT... if like the other guys said, the ads pop up in the middle of your game and block the entire screen forcing you to watch a video or some other crap, it's an instant uninstall. Most of those videos, I never remember watching anyway and I don't want to be forced to watch them at ANY time, even during the game's intro. It is far more effective to blend the ads into the game's interface, a small bar, or something, than to interupt players and annoy them.

I've seen cases where a game offers you some reward for watching an optional video. You actually have to click on an icon/button in order to watch it, so the player gets to decide if it's worth it. That's acceptable to me as well.

6. Daniel

Daniel Newbie

It is kind of ridiculous how tiny the X tends to be on some of those ads, I can wholeheartedly agree with you on that. It seems to be another trick to try and get you to click on the ad.