Adventure AJIN 2

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Kuze, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

[​IMG]

Lowdown
    :

(Source: Vertical)

Air date: Check here

Official Site: here

Twitter: here

Trailer:

You may rejoice.

2. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Sweet. I kinda like Aijin. Minus the MC, but hopefully he gets a little more likeable in Season 2. Fingers crossed.

3. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Some good news for Ajin fans.

Ajin manga's 10th volume to bundle anime dvd (OAD) in April. Anime shipping on April 7 to focus on Sato's past.

Further read: here

[​IMG]

4. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

OH HELL YES!!! I AM SO FREAKING READY FOR THIS!!!

5. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

I dropped the anime like (7?) episodes in. Should I start it up again?

6. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Depends on why you dropped it?

7. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

I don't remember.

8. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Well if it was because of the animation then its the same throughout. If it was because the plot didn't feel all that engaging or it was progressing real slow then there's good news cause Sato just took it to the next level. Anyways, its definitely worth a shot cause of Sato (the antagonist of the show) alone.

9. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

Good to hear, I'll pick it up again.

10. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

11. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

WOOOOT!!!!

AJIN!!!

AJIIINNNN!!!!

AJIN-DESU YO!!!!!

Suck it 24, Homeland and other American crap. THIS is how you do a terrorist action show!

My only dissapointment so far is that the OP isn't anywhere near as good as the season 1 OP but even that is starting to grow on me. When I heard it for the first time last week I absolutely hated it. When I watched ep1 I didn't mind it as much anymore and by ep2 I started liking it a bit.

12. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

I kind of like the ED by CreepHyp. It kind of echoes Nagai's wish to exchange his life with someone else.

13. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't like the ED at all but I wasn't terribly fond of the first season ED either so the dip in quality there btohers me less than with the OP. I mean damn why couldn't they just get Flumpool to do the OP for both seasons. I really like Angela (Fripside not so much) but they're not the best choice for this show and Flumpool was a perfect choice.

14. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

@Kerberos

Imagine a Las Vegas track. All hell would have broken loose.

15. Shanigami

Shanigami Actually a Ghost
    Gold Founder

eyy, I just watched the first 2 and felt the same way. Satou is always too cool, and Nagai made me laugh with his "I don't even want to do this anymore"

Ah, now I know why that sounded so familiar. Angela has a really distinctive voice that I like. I've heard fripSide before but to me they sound the same as a lot of other groups so I can never really pick them out (plus I'm not a fan of them).

I do agree with @Kerberos though that it's not as good as season 1's music (My current ranking is S1 OP > S2 OP > S1 ED > S2 ED), but I still enjoy it. I'm also really glad they still play the Ajin main theme for the end of the episode/next episode preview, it always gets me hyped.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out what's going on with it especially after ep 2. To me it kind of seems like it's growing up (like a person). At the beginning of season 1, it pretty much just said and acted off of things Nagai thought but never said aloud (not sure if that's completely accurate). Then later in to season 1, when Nagai was able to produce the Ajin on his own, it started to act like it had more of a will of it's own, in how it would repeat things Nagai said and do the opposite of what he commanded, much like young children will do. Then we saw what it did at the end of S2 ep 2, which again,
    rebelling against your parent(s)
    is another thing children usually do as they grow up.

So my thinking based off of that is that it might be possible for Nagai's Ajin to eventually be "friends" and cooperate with him or even act independently (in a way other than rampaging), given enough time/training.

Another thing I noticed was that for most (if not all, I don't remember everyone) of the adult Ajin users, their Ajin's head was mostly missing, or most importantly, where it's brain would be (if it were human) is missing. The reason for this seems to be what the American researcher guy said about
    what happens when you bring out your Ajin, and then leave it alone for a long time

So based on that my other theory on what Nagai could do, is to somehow cut off the head of his Ajin to make it like the others and have more direct control over it.

I feel like the former would be more useful though.

[Note: oops, Technically, the people are the Ajin, and their monster things are called IBMs or Ghosts or Black Monster things, but I saw Kuze called them Ajin and I did the same. Now I'm too lazy to change it. Oh well.]

Yay, I'm excited for more Ajin!

Kuze likes this.
  16. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

@Shanigami

Excellent point about the Ajin/ghost (screw Ogura and his lame classifications) undergoing a growth phase.

However the series hasn't delved into/accounted for every possible inconsistencies for an IBM's behaviour specifics so we are left to speculate and take in whatever the show throws at us.

I was kind of leaning towards the feeling that the Ajin attacked Nagai because Nagai lied to himself about the fact that Kaito was just a pawn and nobody important in his life in the washroom scene and felt bad about it. But yeah the growth phase idea is more logical and actually explains a bigger chain of events.

Every Ajin HAS a distinctive looking head though and in a 1v1 Ajin fight, striking the head actually kills the Ajin for a brief period of time before the human regenerates another Ajin (as per Tanaka vs Shimomura fight in the hospital S1)

What Ogura (the scientist) was referring to in his meeting with Nagai in episode 2 was about the unexplained behavior of IBMs and the density of the black matter, wasn't he? Since Nagai's Ajin made its first appearance when he was a child.

Shanigami likes this.
  17. Shanigami

Gold Founder

true, the thing that really triggered that idea in my head (and made me think about Nagai's ghost's development in S1) though was when Ogura mentioned the Ajin in America who eventually had his ghost driving a tractor, which made me think that they could learn/develop in some way. Although it could have just been that the farmer got better at controlling his ghost, to the point where he could remotely drive his tractor with it.

I think that makes sense as well, and doesn't necessarily conflict with my theory. Even if Nagai's ghost has it's own consciousness, I would assume it can still hear his thoughts/feelings to some degree. So then when it hears Nagai say something mean/not true about their friend, it made the ghost mad at the one who said it, kind of like how it attacked Nakano when he laughed at it/Nagai while they were talking to Ogura earlier.

oh you're right about that. I had to go back and look at a bunch of the different ghosts to remember. Tanaka's even has a full human-ish head like Nagai's (although his has a big spooky mouth in the middle). So I guess that debunks that theory. Also I remembered something similar during Nagai vs Satou on the roof of the research building, where the two ghosts headbutted and Nagai/Satou saw each other's memories, so I guess that's double evidence for them actually having some sort of brain there even if it doesn't look like a human head.

yeah, my theory on that was that ghosts would first be created without a full head, and if you leave them alone for a long time it will grow a head and gain consciousness, which you proved wrong in the quote above, and I just remembered that when Nagai first made his ghost when he was young, it already had a head, so never mind on that point lol.

edit: ehh, I seem to have done something bad with all my copy/pasting, and now all the text links to my profile. I'll see if I can fix it
    edit2: ha! fixed it. Glad no one saw that. That would have been embarrassing.

#17 Shanigami, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Kuze likes this.
  18. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

I wonder if the Nakamura Shinya incident will be in any way tied to the series (Nakamura unleashing his Ajin flood on Sato would be a hell of a scene)?

19. Shanigami

Gold Founder

yeah that would be pretty cool. I'm sure it'll happen at some point, you don't just show something that cool once.

Kuze likes this.
  20. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Watched eps 3 - 5 last night. Holy shit things are getting gooooood!!! I didn't think I'd say this but I actually like season 2 better than season 1 so far. I love the build up, the politcal machinations, the surprise reveals and the character development. Season 2 is even more morally grey than the first. Basically the show has now wholly embraced that none of these people are in any way good guys but some can potentially be redeemed. That is if their past mistakes don't catch up them in the most horrible ways possible first.

It's edge of your seat exciting, hardboiled as fuck and overall just competent, well written top notch entertainment.

Oh and as if the show wasn't awesome enough as it is. Season 2 also added the one thing season 1 was missing for me. A genuine waifu:
    [​IMG]

Also I really don't get why people hate the animation so much. I think it's perfect for this show. Ajin is a show that feels more like a jdrama that just happens to be animated and the animations makes it look very much like they've been rotoscoping actors. (which is what good CG animation can look like, take a hint Berserk) Plus some of the shots are just mindblowing. Like how they actually change focus within a single shot. That's something you rarely ever see in anime.

Oh and to back it all up the soundtrack is awesome as it's always been. Yugo Kanno is a genius. Perhaps even moreso than that other famous music composer also named Kanno.

Highlights:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]