Sci-Fi Alita: Battle Angel (2018 Film)

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Kuze, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

[​IMG]

Lowdown
    :

Go read the manga, erm I mean

James Cameron has stated that he intends to adapt "the spine story" of Yukito Kishiro's original manga, with a specific focus on the first four books. He especially wants to include the fictional sport "Motorball" from the third and fourth volume.

Imdb
    : here

Trailer:

The cast includes Rosa Salazar as Alita, Christoph Waltz and Jackie Earle Haley.

Release Date: July 20, 2018

2. sanzfei

sanzfei Night Shift
    Platinum Founder

I never read the manga but this movie looks like garbage. The anime eyes look god awful. I'm so sick of CG that looks worse than it did in 90's.

3. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

What a disappointment.

I was really looking forward to this, too.

4. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Didn't the author pull some kind of re-do no jutsu regarding the ending to Last Order? Love the shit out of tis back in day but it all got a bit 'Berserk' for me. Finish what you start motherfuckers.

Anyway, Cameron has had a hard-on for this series ever since he lifted the mood and look for 'Dark Angel' so disappointed it looks like dogshit. Action is waaaay too Snyderish for my liking. No megusta'ing so hard right now. You'd think they'd get the visuals and action right or at least make them bareable.

But.....JLH? Fuck of the yes. Love that guy. Best thing in Preacher and Watchmen. Also great in The Tick.

And where is my Gantz: O 2? Hmmmmmm?

5. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Can I be the odd one out and say I'm actually pretty excited for this?

Full disclosure I haven't read the manga to this...yet. Not my fault btw! It's egone entirely out of print. Not available anymore anywhere. I do know however they're rereleasing the whole thing in preperation for the movie but I'm not sure if they'll actually publish the entire manga before the movie premieres. Hope so.

That being said I do think it's a smart move making a live action adapation of a manga that doesn't have an anime adaptation. That way it doesnn't have to suffer from people making comparissons like with GitS (which was a pretty good movie btw)

Not sure about the director though...Robert Rodriguez isn't known for subtlety and unless it something like Hellsing you're adapting (and yes I would love to see a live action adaptation of Hellsing) you really need a director who understands subtlety because by definition manga and anime is just a lot more subtle and layered than western fiction.

Also I noticed on the credits it actually says "based on the graphic novel (manga)..." I still feel it should just say "manga" but hey...baby steps...

Also...Mahershala Ali!!! He was so awesome in Moonlight (which btw...amazing movie) it's great seeing him again.

So yeah I'm hype for this. Fingers crossed it won't suck.

6. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Also, because I couldn't resist...

[​IMG]

7. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

Honestly I didn't even know the manga had that much appeal to the masses to get a motion picture counter part, but I suppose that is the trend right now.

8. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

Manga was pretty big in Japan and weeb culture back in day.

You guys should check the 90's OVA's. Good shit. Kinda super condensed though.

9. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

The Hollywood Reporter has revealed that 20th Century Fox has pushed back its release date for the film. It was scheduled for a wide release on July 20, 2018, and it is now scheduled for December 21, 2018.

10. Pass_the_M

Pass_the_M New Member

I saw the OVA back in the day and enjoyed it. really not looking forward for this tho...

11. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

Probably has to fix those huge ass ugly eyes that they spent most of the budget on.

Kuze likes this.
  12. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

20th Century Fox IS streaming a new trailer for the live-action film.

13. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

For a second there I thought it was Wesley Snipes.

14. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THAT LOOKS SHIT

The cast is amazing tho, so I'll check it. But man, those action scenes seem bland and lifeless as phug.

Also the cgi they used on lita? I WANT THAT FOR A GARBAGE PAIL KID MOVIE!!!! Ok I'm calm again now.

#14 Oh Snape, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  15. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

Her eyes weird me out. It wouldn't be so bad if everyone else wasn't normal. I know Alita in the original manga was in a different art style than the characters around her, but that kind of stylistic difference doesn't work as well in live action. Hopefully the actions scenes are being undersold by this trailer and are better in the actual movie.

Also the presence of New Divide in the trailer makes me remember the Michael Bay transformers movies and I don't like it one bit.