Altered Carbon

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Enies, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Kuze likes this.
  2. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Not familiar with source but looks the part and they have one of the GoT directors on board so expecting to see cash ejaculated all over the screen by the millions.

Need more sci-fi as I\m almost donw with The Expanse season 2. TBH the trailer got me more excited for Westworld 2 rather than this series lol.

3. Enies

Enies Famous Member

based on reviews westworld is probably the best sci fi show atm. HBO has all the good shows down.

4. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Just watched episode 1...

Good job Netflix...you made cyberpunk boring...

The show isn't outright bad. It's just very generic. High production values, lots of sex and violence, bit of swearing and some substance abuse. Yup it;'s cable drama all right. And because this is cyberpunk best also throw in some social commentary but nothing that would actually upset people. let's play it very safe and show the divide between the rich and the poor in this future society like...every cyperpunk title ever. Also let's have all our character speak real soft and smoothlike and throw in some literature references. Yup that'll do...one cyberpunk cable drama ready to go. We hope you enjoy your dish.

Yeah no...I don't. It tastes like something I've tasted many times before.

My main issue with this show is that it's all very safe and cyberpunk should never feel safe. Cyberpunk should be bold and full of crazy, out there ideas and things that will undoubtedly upset some people. Basically if cyberpunk isn't making somebody angry then it's not doing a very good job
    And this looks like it's going to anger people. It's got plenty of sex and violence and naughty words and even says some bad things about society. But those are all things we've come to expect from cable drama. There's nothing that's actually bold or crazy.

The show could've been worse (think generic police procedural full of unrealistically beautiful looking people with the cyberpunk just as a backdrop) but it also could've been so much better.

Ah well...guess it'll be a few more decades before live action cyberpunk has caught up to its anime equivalent. Now if you'll excuse me...I think I'm gonna go watch some Psycho Pass and remind myself of what good cyberpunk looks like.

5. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

So far so good. Don't let Kerb ruin your appetite for cybepunk/futuristic Multi-World fun. Yeah there is sex, violence and a okayish progressive storyline. If you don't like this you can always go watch Bright or find a VHS copy of Pacific Rim.

At least they didn't white-was................... oh nevermind.

@Oh Snape give it a shot it is a good watch.

6. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

This is really terrible in places but has enough cool bits in to make me wanna watch episode 2. I'll post more then but I'll just say no one in this longer than a few minutes can act.

Also, is the 'white washing' in this satire? I really hope there's a few jokes about it or its further proof this show being completely oblivious to wtf its doing.

#6 Oh Snape, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  7. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Yeah this shows fucking amazing. Finally got to see if my tv could actually display 4K.

Interest1ng likes this.
  8. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Aaaaaand fuck you Altered Carbon. I fucking trusted u man. I mean I've been lowering expectations every episode and just going with the 'lol so crazy' and 'lol, so random' but if I lower them any further they'll strike oil.

Terrible terrible acting and dialogue aside, this show just flutters out random ideas like glitter on a card being made for a parent that the kid clearly hates.

#8 Oh Snape, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  9. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

This is getting an anime spinoff on Netflix titled Altered Carbon: Resleeved. New trailer out as well.

10. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

This shit is seriously unwatchable. Its like The Strain but with 0 self awareness of how afwul it is. What a waste of weed.

Man fuck Netflix for spunking so much cash on this. Hope when they go under this will make the shitlist on where it all went wrong.

Anyway yeah, u should defo check it Kuze Kuze.

11. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

I'd rather make the mistake of watching the first season of Strain again. Quality cdc procedural.