Amazing Spider-Man #698-700 Review: An Orchestrated Death

Peter Parker is dead, his body stolen by one of his greatest foes, Doctor Octopus. Reymous Fumes looks back at the controversial storyline that...
By ReymousFumes, Jun 6, 2018 | |
  1. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

ReymousFumes submitted a new Article:

ASM #698-700 Review: An Orchestrated Death

Read more about this article here...

2. OctalKey

OctalKey 100% Polyester
    Gold Founder

I liked Otto Octavius's character development in this arc, especially when he passes the mantle back to Peter. Still I agree that the entire progression of Peter's death could have been done better. The idea of "Superior Spidey-Man" is cool but, yeah, things could have been better getting there.

3. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

The concept is cool; the execution? Not so much. I'm currently working on the Superior Spider-Man review, and let's just say that the concept stopped being cool after #9. If you've read my other reviews of Dan Slott stories, you pretty much know how this is going to go down: cool concept, rushed ending. Nothing new under the sun.

Also, Otto's so-called "character development" was non-existent in the "Superior Spider-Man" main title. In the other spin-offs? Sure, there was proper character development on SpOck redeeming himself and contemplating what it means to be a hero, but ironically enough, not in the main title.

The review is probably going to take a much longer time than my other ones. There are fans of "Superior" out there, and thinking about them reading my review just raises my stress level, making me put off the writing. I'm also incredibly lazy when it comes to reviewing stories I don't like all that much. It's not a scathing review as I'm trying to not let me personal feelings get in the way (this time more than others). I'll also be reviewing three books this time instead of just one: Superior Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man Team-Up, and Superior Foes of Spider-Man (this is to reflect the three different writers' take on a villain playing a hero). So yeah, it's going to be a long one, folks.

OctalKey likes this.
  4. OctalKey

OctalKey 100% Polyester
    Gold Founder

I liked the idea of Otto learning he ain't shit when it comes to being a hero.