An @everyone Notification

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Moe, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

I notice how Discord has an @everyone option meaning they can have a notification pop up to everyone in that channel in that server. Why not include that on the forums because I know while I was working in the OOC of my RP I needed to do a @ to every single member participating instead of this...rather the idea would be have @everyone show you a list of who all has posting in the thread and then you can cancel those who you don't want to receive the notification. But you still have the @everyone as the link.

Is there some way to achieve this or is it only I that would like to see this improvement?

2. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

If people are subscribed to your thread, they should get a notification of a new reply in a thread they are following by default. If they choose not to get notifications, then it's up to them. We won't be implementing something that is already covered by the forum's built in features. An @everyone tag could be extremely annoying for members, so we don't want to do that. In a chatroom like discord, it's basically a ping to check who is not away from computer. ;)

3. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

I wasn't aware the forums worked like that, thanks for the quick reply.

4. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

I'm a person who has notifications turned off because notifications are a thousand times more annoying than getting tagged. Would rather be tagged than have to turn on notifications.

5. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Tagging sends you a notification. If you switched them off, you wouldn't get one when tagged. :p
    I have left the settings alone to tell me when there are new posts in threads that I have posted in or am interested in when I log in.

6. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

The flip of this being, of course, people being notified whenever someone @everyone's them in a thread they may have said taken part in but aren't hugely invested in.

In these kinds of situations I tend to defer to the idea that users should have to opt in to something rather than have it happen to them without their knowledge or consent. It's far better for them to subscribe to a thread they have a lasting interest in than to give participants in the discussion the ability to ping them, even if they don't have a good reason.