Discussion Are cheat guides taking away the fun?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by GameCube, Dec 22, 2017.

1. GameCube

GameCube Newbie

If your on YouTube or IGN, then there are plenty. However, though, many would rather reserve them for stuff that is incredibly difficult to beat - and possibly some hardcore haters might even avoid them altogether. Anyway, I think some levels are easier to beat than you think, but people just aren't trying hard enough.

2. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

I've only ever used cheats in GTA and I can say I mainly use them to complete the missions faster so I can reach the end of the game quicker.

3. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Established Member
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

I dont care what people do in single player games. Cheating in multiplayer is a total dick move and cheaters should be banned on sight.

Iook up walkthroughs from time to time but I dont really bother with cheats.

4. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and MLG Peridot

Outside of games where the challenge is the sole point of even playing it, I don't see what the problem is with using guides and walkthroughs to make it easier. I feel like being stuck for a long time drains as much fun out as using a walkthrough.

As for cheats, I don't really care in singleplayer games, but in multiplayer it isn't acceptable.

Personally I only use guides when I'm really stuck, and I only use cheats in games I've already finished at least once.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  5. Kaynil

Kaynil New Member

Only when used in multiplayer with other people being unaware or unable to control the situation, like online random matches. Anything that gives an unfair advantage or might risk file saves or the games themselves.

Other than that, up to the person. Whatever works for them.

For me, I liked the N cheat codes you could discover in rareware games as you progressed, as they were mostly for fun like one to give characters that heads and feet, hahah.

6. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Well-Known Member
    Platinum Founder

Wait, they still have cheats in games?!

I legit haven't used a Cheat since Grant Theft Auto 4 and that was just to get a 5 start wanted rating so I could have Tanks and Helicopters chasing me.

7. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Established Member
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

As long as developers leave their spaghetti code and "debug/test rooms" in games we will always see cheats and useful glitches.

Red_Dragon likes this.
  8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

What a coincidence i just watched this vid:

One thing about cheat codes is their essential for games that dont have a save system. God what a pain one thing im thankful for is most if not all modern games have a save system of some type. Now complaints about checkpoints are another topic :D

I think unless its an unfair level in an otherwise balanced game i can see using a cheat code to get past it. Now if its dark souls or some game designed to punish you then it defeats the purpose as previously mentioned.

As far as guides go i have bought tons. Sometimes its just for the artwork or backstory of the game. Othertimes i want to go for as close to a complete game as possible. Though since so many games come with some kind of multiplayer ive kind of given up hope of 100%ing anything anymore. Assassins creed 2 was my only 100%. I got every damn feather!

My only problem with game guides is the accidental discovery of plot points. Like the tales series. They tell you to do this and go there and inadvertently you get the end of the scene detail when you just wanted the boss pattern or best combo/items to use.

So i think its dependent on the game and what you want out of it. If you just want the cutscenes i think its ok to cheat through. Also i did let the hints pop up on some of uncharted lost legacies puzzles. The thing is if you lose your groove you have to start all over or there isnt an eady reset option or the camera angle isnt the most ideal.

9. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I've honestly never used a game guide. I think "what's the point in playing then?" If you're playing to brag about how fast you've finished it, well I can understand, but I rarely bother to converse with others on a single player game. Just play at my own pace, whenever I have the time. Now, if I was stuck on something for a long time and just couldn't get past it, I'd probably look it up online. Part of the fun is figuring it all out on your own and uncovering new things. If you have a guide for the entire thing, the experience is kinda lost.

10. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

Yep, gotta agree with that. Maybe very hard, long, and complicated games would be the kinda games where I could use some sort of game guide. Games like Dark Souls, and actually I had to look up some advice on internet when I first played it, mainly because I was stuck and couldn't advance. In that sense I understand using a game guide, but using cheats just basically breaks the game imo. And using cheats in online games like Counter Strike or something like that I just don't understand at all. Maybe some people like to troll others that way I think.

11. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Shannon Apple and kawaii -

Dont you ever teeter on rage quiting some games? I think thats where guides come in. An otherwise enjoyable game marred by a bad section is a problem.

Now shannon you did say you have looked stuff up. Thats good. Now i use em for side stuff and when im going for a certain item. I dont use em all the time but they are useful.

But if you dont use em that's ok. Just know why others do.

12. Novaire

Novaire Wrestling Enthusiast, Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

The simple answer to the question posed in the title is no. If you don't like cheats or walkthroughs, the only thing you need to do is not look for them. They rarely seek you out, so avoiding them altogether is not difficult.

---

As to whether or not I would look to outside information sources whilst playing games, it really depends. Generally speaking, I wouldn't recommend using a guide on your first time through a game in most cases but there are some where outside information can enhance the experience. For example, I actually think the entire Suikoden series is 'better' played with a guide to alert you when you need to recruit characters. If you're unfamiliar, each game has 108 characters that are recruitable in some way and many of them can be missed entirely removing the ability to get the best ending in each entry. I have played through Suikoden V four times and it's one of my all-time favorite games, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that without a walkthrough I would never have been able to see the true ending. Even now, I have my doubts that I would be able to do so, so to expect that someone could do so in their first venture is virtually impossible and most people aren't going to sit down with seventy hours multiple times, much less that they would turn around and do so soon enough so that they hadn't forgotten essential information.

Other games can be incredibly tedious such as the myriad of role-playing games that fail to include a map for reasonable navigation or those that are packed to the brim with cryptic, unreasonable bullshit like the first Legend of Zelda and Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. There is a moment in X-Men 2: Clone Wars where, after dispatching a boss, you are expected to hit the Genesis's Reset button to proceed onward to the next level. Likewise in The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass an already difficult puzzle requires you to close the DS after doing something on the in-game map. There is little-to-no telegraphing in these games to direct you toward their desired ends, but that's just the way of things in a lot of games. Sometimes outside guidance is essential to enjoying a game.

Red_Dragon and yoda313 like this.