Sci-Fi Arrival - promising new sci fi movie

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Kerberos, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

In this day and age where the gross of all American sci fi movies are loud and obnoxious slightly xenophobic good vs evil blockbusters this feels like a breath of fresh air.

From Dennis Villeneuve, imo the best director currently working in cinema (best known for the fantastic Sicario and phenomenal Prisoners) comes a sci fi movie that seems more cerebral than relying on pure adrenaline. Starring the hugely underappreciated Amy Adams and ever teriffic Jeremy Renner.

As a huge sci fi fan I am really looking forward to this movie. Not everything Villeneuve does is pure gold (Enemy was kinda meh) but all of it has been interesting so far and sci fi movies that really tap into the potential of the genre are very rare so regardless of how it turns out I'm fairly sure I'll love the shit outta this one.

So how about you guys? Anybody else hype for this movie?

2. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Haven't watched the trailer yet.

But wasn't there a cheesy 90s movie called the arrival? Some two bit actor like an Estevez relative? Wait I think it actually was Charlie sheen now that I think about it.

It was a bunch of alien invaders conspiring with some secret agency.

3. Shanigami

Shanigami Actually a Ghost
    Gold Founder

consider me hyped! I love smart Sci-Fi movies

4. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Prisoners was a solid movie and Forest Whittaker is always goosd shit.

I shall watch it whilst accidentally catching it channel surfing.

5. Shanigami

Shanigami Actually a Ghost
    Gold Founder

It's not like I wanted to watch it or anything, it just happened to be on......B-Baka!

Snape confirmed Tsundere

6. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

I caught Enders Game channel surfing yesterday. I reached for a joypad at least 3 times. Reminded me of Silpheed for PS2. Such an underrated shoot em up.

I wanna check teh Enders Game book so hard.

Also, kinda hoping this movie's plot twist is that its the sequel to Prometheus.

7. Enies

Enies Famous Member

enders game is a horrible movie. I don't understand why it's so hyped. It's overrated and the book probably even more so. If the movie sucked I wont be picking up the book I can't take the cast seriously.

This looks pretty interesting reminds me a bit of district 9. Yeah I don't remember the last time I really liked a sci-fi movie that came out recently. They always disappoint. there

8. WubbaLubbaDubDub

WubbaLubbaDubDub Well-Known Member
    Contributor Gold Founder

I've been following this movie fora little while amd it looks awesome! Hopefully it'll be as great as it seems.

9. tripplej

tripplej Well-Known Member

Looks promising. If the reviews are good, will check it out. :)

10. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

This trailer makes it look like it is a slow type of movie, and my first thought of the female MC was alien linguist. Which could be interesting I studied human linguists in school. I enjoy sci-fi movies a lot but I would have to see more to get into this.

But I really enjoyed Prometheus and that was a slow moving movie but it was extremely interesting, so I would defiently not count this movie out.

11. WubbaLubbaDubDub

WubbaLubbaDubDub Well-Known Member
    Contributor Gold Founder

The trailer hit the same nerve for me as Interstellar's trailer did--which is easily one of my all time favorite movies.

12. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

The first movie that immediately came to mind for me was "Contact" which is one of my favourite sci f movies and the one that sparked my interest in the genre. But I can definitally see Interstelllar comparissons as well. Which is not that odd seeing as Contact and Interstellar were both based on story concepts by Kip Thorne.