Action Banana Fish

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Kerberos, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

1. Banana Fish
    [​IMG]

This my most anticipated anime of summer 2018? Why, you ask? Honestly, do you really need to? It’s from the director of Free!...Yeah no, though I do find that an interesting choice. However there is a myriad of other things that make this anime look particularly promising to me. First of all there is the source material. Banana Fish started its life as a hardboiled action series that was being published in a shojo magazine in the late 80s. That alone already made me intrigued and as luck would have it I hade the opportunity last weekend to read the first volume while I was at a con. Suffice to say if they’re going to stick close to the source material it’s going to be quite something.

So who is actually in charge of the adaptation? Hiroshi Seko. The same guy that also did series composition and screenwriting for both Ajin and Inuyashiki and wrote the screenplay for the massively underrated gothic horror zombie flick The Empire of Corpses.

Lastly this anime will be airing in Japan on the Noitamina block. A special programming block on Fuji TV which airs anime geared towards those outside the mainstream anime audience. My successrate with this particular programming block is almost 100% making me feel very confident that this show will be to my liking at least to some extend.

[​IMG]

What makes this show stand out more than anything else though is that it is, in fact an adaptation of a manga from the late 80s and while these modern adaptations of older manga have a tendency to more often than not fail miserably, I do think a good studio can produce an actually solid modern adaptation of an older work. So who is the studio producing this? Studio Mappa, the personal animation studio of the god of anime Masao Maruyama and in my opinion the single greatest anime studio out there.

That being said one concern I do have as a result of reading the first volume of the manga is that the story, at least at first seems rather thin. After two hundred pages all I gathered was that life in NYC sucks and there’s a drug that drives people insane. It’s certainly original as far as anime and manga premises go but I do hope the story we’ll eventually get will be a bit meatier, so to speak.

2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Wait what? This one airs tonight. Better move this to NIJ then.

3. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

It's available for streaming on Amazon Prime. And the good news is Viz Media's Shojo Beat imprint has confirmed that it plans to reprint and restock unavailable volumes of the manga.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go catch the 1st episode.

4. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Holy shit. Fuck Attack on Titan. This is the only thing I'm watching this season.

Already digging the visuals.

[​IMG]

Let's hope the plot has enough material for a 24 episode run.

[​IMG]

5. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Definitely looking like the real deal here. Also the ED graphics is so reminiscent of Zankyou no Terror. I mean it's almost the same minus the crows and the song.

6. Sora Senpai

Sora Senpai The Ecchi King
    Contributor Gold Founder

While the show is entertaining there are so many problems with this story that it's laughable at this point. It's poorly written and the things Ash does at certain times makes no sense.

Oh well I didnt expect much after the first two episodes. Luckily Shorter is still the best character in this anime.

7. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Yeah, I'm in the middle here. It's not a bad way to kill time and it's an okay show, but there's nothing here that grabs me or stands out. I still want to see where the story goes though, so I'm sticking around.

8. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Music video for the opening theme.

Enies likes this.
  9. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

The story's starting to get more interesting now. It still feels like a series that's slightly better than average for me, but Banana Fish's different, at least. It feels so adult and grown-up in the nice, shlocky places, so I'm not too mad at it.

Besides, Shorter's amazing.

10. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Banana Fish Ending Full - Prayer X / King Gnu

#10 Kuze, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  11. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

12 episodes down and Banana Fish has developed into quite a show. Arthur vs Ash next episode I'm guessing. Still 12 more episodes to go and I'm interested in watching where all this ends up.

The show does feel quite relevant even though the source is from the last century. I guess the board did a lot of touch up on quite a many points.

12. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

The boss track is out.

Banana Fish OST - BANANA FISH

#12 Kuze, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Enies likes this.
  13. Enies

Enies Famous Member

music and animation seems awesome nice shinichi osawa track. is this show worth watching for the story/plot etc?

14. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

This show is quite out there when it comes to anime. And it's got that "American" feel to it cause of the setting. Plot wise it's nothing complicated but decent nonetheless, basically drug trade and mafia stuff. So if you're up for that kinda show, go ahead.

15. Enies

Enies Famous Member

the music is probably the only thing that draws me to this anime tbh. I have only have time to watch the best shows now so i don't bother with mediocre anime.

this is quite unique though in setting and atmosphere which is why it could either be really good or kinda of suck.

16. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

@Enies

It is the best show of Summer 2018, that much I can assure you. Whether you like it or not totally depends on what you are looking for in the show.

17. Enies

Enies Famous Member

not sure if summer 2018 says much haha. ill check it out just cuz of that op and music

18. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Er, no. That would be Angolmois. But Banana Fish is quite good.

You'd be surprised. Between Angolmois (near masterpiece) Banana Fish (solid show) AoT - season 3 (best AoT season yet) Jashin-chan (fun, absurdist comedy) and Sirius the Jaeger (flawed but solidly entertaining blockbuster) summer 2018 was a pretty damn good season.

19. DcRising

DcRising Newbie

Honestly completely forgot about this because of it being on Amazon Prime. Have to go back and continue this. Think I was 3 episodes in.

20. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Well, haven't watched a drop of Angolmois, so I wouldn't know. Can say though both the OP and ED of Angolmois is lit.