Action Berserk (2016)

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Kuze, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

[​IMG]

Synopsis
    :

The cast includes:

Shin Itagaki (Basquash!, Ben-To, Teekyū) is directing the anime. Makoto Fukami (Psycho-Pass, Ōsama-tachi no Viking, Yuruyuri San Hai!) is supervising the series scripts in collaboration with Takashi Yamashita (Cencoroll). Hisashi Abe (Pet Shop of Horrors, Gunslinger Girl, Chobits) is designing the characters. Shiro Sagisu (Berserkfilms, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Megazone 23) is composing the music. LIDEN FILMS is credited for production, while GEMBA and Millepensee are credited for animation production.

Media distribution service Crunchyroll announced that it will stream the new Berserk television anime as it airs in Japan this summer on July 1st.

The new Berserk anime will depict Guts in his "Black Swordsman" appearance, which is only revealed in parts of the manga that go beyond any previously animated Berserk story, and is only briefly hinted at in the first and last episode of the 1997 television anime series.

PV:

Warning: This PV is the best of the lot :p

Sources: MAL, ANN

2. Xenon

Xenon Back from the dead... To fu*k with your head

3. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

My Body is Ready.

4. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

5. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Watched the first episode. Didn't love it, didn't hate it.

The CG looked alright during the battle scenes, but I find the disconnect between the different art styles jarring - it's like there's one studio working on the fights, one doing CG for the non-fights, one doing the hand drawn elements, and none of them speak to each other. The music was okay, but I don't like the hard rock/metal vibe. Maybe it's because I rewatched the 97 series not so long ago, but I find it too much of a departure.

As an introductory episode made up mostly of anime original content, I guess it worked well enough, although even in spite of it going to some dark places, I don't think they've really caught the pervading sense of despair that hangs over the story.
    Or used to.
    Also Chapter of the Lost Children has been dropped. Boo.

6. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Huh? That sounds better than I thought it was going to be. Damnit I might have to check this out now.

Also no Chapter of Lost Children means more screentime for mah waifu!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#6 Kerberos, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  7. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Incredibly, they've already skipped right to the introduction of the Chain Knights, so Farnese is centre stage next week, if you want to hang on until then.

8. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Makes no sense to me to skip those arcs as I think they are kind of important to guts.

9. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Farnese. The Sakura of Berserk.

I'm gonna watch this later. And unless that apostle (Roselee? whatever) makes a comeback in the manga (not read it in years...so I'm guessing about 4 chapters must've come out) then that Lost Children arc is no great loss. Yes we know that world is fucked up we don't need to see indifferent infanticide to finally get it.

10. Enies

Enies Famous Member

blackswordsman guts is pretty important i'd say. Even for berserk it's pretty weird that people think you can just skip that.

11. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Just watched the first episode: mixed feelings indeed. On the one hand the writing was teriffic. They nailed the characters, the tone, the dialogue, everything! That was great. I'm really in awe of how they adapted three whole volumes in one episode and not make it feel rushed. The direction was pretty good as well with some very good fight choregography and the artwork itself resembles the manga very closely. I was epsecialy pleased to see Puck looking as cartoony as he does in the manga.

That being said, the CG is awful as I feared it would be and since that takes up most of the episode I;d say there are about two minutes in total lookad amazing The rest just looked really freaking naff. And that's not even the worst of it. What the hell kind of soundtrack is that?!! Is that what passes for music these days? I love the idea of a hard rock and metal soundtrack for Berserk but this just sounds like a five year old bumping into an electric guitar. Also the OP and ED are extremely meh.

So yeah a combimation of the best and the worst. Still though with so many shows where I have to admit that while it looked great and had fantastic musigc, the writing just wasn't there, it is kind of refreshing to see a show that's really well written but undermined by poor visuals and an even worse soundtrack.

All the same though I enjoyed most of it (that tree was all cringe though) and am actually looking forward to the next episode. And I honestly didn't expect that. So overall a pleasant surprise.

@Snape: Farnese really comes into her own in the Hawk of the Millennium Emire arc.

ReplicateSpace9 likes this.
  12. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

The movies' shitty cg but with a smaller budget. We have a winner here. Ugh.

13. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

[​IMG]

Berserk 2016
    Genre: Action / Horror
    Directed by: Shin Itagaki
    Written by: Makoto Fukami and Takashi Yamashita
    Music by: Shiro Sagisu
    Licensed by: Crunchy Roll

I am just going to come right out and say it before continuing, If you have never seen berserk, don't ever watch a single episode of this ever. Trust me it is worth it to watch the first series first.
    warning spoilers.
    While I have not seen or read all of berserk, I have finished up to the first arcs where guts is betrayed and the leader of the band of the hawk gets turned into that demon thing. I don't know anything about his arm or how he got the new sword or even survived being eaten by demons.

Basically I am going to go over what I saw in episode one of this show since I thought it was going to pick up from the beginning which it does not. It takes place at the beginning of what is called the golden age arc. It also does a decent job at recapping on what has happened since the beginning so you do not feel completely lost if you are now just jumping into the series.

The music is alright and it seemed like it could be a great anime series, however there is one colossal thing holding it back that is completely ruining the show for me that if they do not fix by the third episode I am dropping it. The ANIMATION.

oH MY god the animation in this first episode that is out right now is HORRENDOUS! Imagine graphic cutscenes from a Play station 2 era video game and remove some of the frames between any time someone moves around or talks and that is how the animation looks. I wish I was exaggerating but I am not. The way the characters move around, especially the head animations of the characters and the facial expressions feels extremely inorganic and choppy as if the animation itself was either skipping or just missing parts of it all together. NOTHING flows smoothly or seamlessly and sometimes doing something like this if you have a rough esthetic to the anime might make it fit some mood you are trying to set, but not when it is all the time every time. Words cannot express how extremely heart broken I was when I saw this. I have seen hundreds on top of hundreds of anime and I have never once witnessed animation this poor. Even the most horribly drawn western cartoons are better than this because how horrifically badly drawn those were, it was done on purpose-not trying to look like something good and ending up in that condition.

If it were not for the worlds worst animation job I would look forward to watching more, I will try the next two episodes but it looks grim as this 2016 rehashing of the berserk series is not going to please many of the fans outside of a few of the hard core ones.

So far, I have to give Berserk 2016 a 2 star out of 5 because this show has no qualities that make up for the poor quality it has demonstrated so far. Maybe it will get better like how Dragonball Super got better after they were done rehashing the DBS movies who knows, Until then, this first impression review leaves me out in the cold. On second thought, I might just keep watching anyway and do a full review once this summer anime is finished. I do love the series its just that whoever did the animation movement work on this should had been shot lol.

It does have just enough to keep you coming back if you are already a fan and maybe to some new comers as well, the action is OK and the character Guts is still a really interesting character. If you already love the story though, it will be more than enough to keep you wanting to come back if you have not seen this far into the series. I just hope they make the rest of the series more fluid in the way the characters move.

#13 Shadow Fox, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2016
  14. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I know I was the one screaming the loudest that this show was gonna be a painful train wreck but y'know what? It isn't. In fact imo it's fucking awesome!

I mean it still looks kind of crap at least half the time but at some point I stopped noticing. You know why? Because it's Berserk. And OMG is it ever Berserk.

It's so hard to exactly nail the tone of Miura's manga and to really get what makes Berserk, Berserk. Yet they did. They really did. It's not the huge epic fights that make the series what it is or even the beautiful art in general. They help but you know what makes this series a real standout, at least for me? Conversations like this:

"God does not show us His miraculous existence on this earth so easily. Through our faith God is always with us. In our souls and up in heaven."

"What a picture perfect response. Did you learn that in a convent? On the battlefield a nobleman said the exact same thing...burning a city to the ground with its women and children."

THIS is what makes Berserk, Berserk! This is why I love this manga so much and why so far this adaptation has been surprisingly sollid. I dont care if they skip arcs or change a character's actions. As long as they keep the spirit of the series intact and so far they've really nailed that.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm actually really looking forward to the next episode.

Edit: Just looked it up. That little bit of dialogue is taken straight from the manga. In fact most of the dialogue in this episode was taken straight from the manga. In fact pretty much everything this episode was straight from the manga. It seems after last weeks condensed summary of two arcs they're sticking very close to the manga now. Which I think is good.

@Shadow Fox: If you've only seen the 90s tv show you really need to either watch the movies or read the manga. If you don't you'll be massively confused later on. Trust me.

#14 Kerberos, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  15. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Thought the second episode was a big improvement on the first one - seemed to be more hand drawn animation in play this week and generally less focus on the janky CG movement. Now that the awkward bid to get all the characters introduced is past, it even seems like a good adaptation to boot. Genuinely curious to see what the next episode will be like now as, despite being anime-original, it allegedly has Miura's blessing.

16. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Is it like how people started paying attention to Ajin's story instead of its CGI?

17. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Well first of all, I'm not people and as far as I can see I;m in the minority with my opinion so far. Second of all Ajin's CGI was ten times better than Berserk's and as a fan of the manga I really loved Ajin's visual aestehtic while with Berserk I'm still not happy with it.

For me it's more like how I can really enjoy a low budget indie sci fi flick. Because even though the production values are shit and the effects really don't look veyr convinving, the ideas on display and the story is so much better than anything you can find in Hollywood.

I looked up the guy doing series comp and script for this series and it turns out he co-wrote Psycho Pass season 1 with Gen Urobuchi. So he has pretty sollid cred.

18. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Welp, duly noted.

19. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

To me the big difference is that Ajin looked like they had rotoscoped real actors which I thought worked great for that show. That technique could also have worked for Berserk but instead that just looks like a really long PS2 era videogame cutscene.

20. Cambrian Rabbit

Cambrian Rabbit New Member

So nostalgic. This is my childhood revamped for 2016.

OMG BRB WATCHING