Action Best Openings and Endings of Fall 2017

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Kerberos, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Decided to beat @Sora Senpai to the punch and start this thread before he could. Also I just really wanna talk about some cool opneings and endings this season.

BEST OPENING
    There are a lot of really good openings this season! From RiRiKo's hauntingly beautiful opening song for Children of the Whales to Altair's far superior second opening that really conveys the epic nature of the series, to the highly inventive and somewhat disturbing visuals accompanied by the teriffic [My Hero ] from Man With a Mission for Inuyashiki and let's not forget [Fake Town!] Unison Square Garden's insanely catchy song which combined with Bones' always teriffic animation and some really cool effects make for a terriffic second OP for Blood Blockade Battlefront which blows the first one right out of the water!

Ultimately though I'd have to give this spot to GARO's new opening which combines a really cool and unique visual eastathic with a kick ass JAM Project song overall making for an opening that is just brimmign with cool ideas and manliness therefor making it the perfect intro for this show and my pick for best OP of the season:

(this is unfortunately not the entire opening, the full opening is at current unavailable due to copyright busllshit. i guess this opening is just too good to stay on Youtube)

BEST ENDING
    While there are a good number if solid OPs this season there are even more good EDs. Recovery of an MMO Junkie's ED makes terriffic use of its visuals and manages to actually integrate its credits into it yet its song is a bit plain and not very memorable. The same goes for the ED to Land of the Lustrous which makes up for it with some absolutely stunning art and animation that makes me wish the entire show was done in such a way. GARO also gets a mention here for it's very stylish ED that unfortunately is so tonally disjointed from the rest it seems like it wasn't even made for the same show. Then there's Blood Blockade Battlefront's second ED which combines Daoko's appropriately hyperspeed ending song with some really trippy visuals and some cool grafiti style art. And lastly there's march Comes in Like a Lion's third ED. March Comes in Like a Lion has always put more effort into its EDs than OPs and this is no exception with some fantasticly imaginative visuals and gorgeous artwork accompanied by Brian the Sun's beautiful ending song. Yet at the same time it is my least favourite of the series so far. It just can't quite hit me the same way the absolutely perfect [Orion} by Kenshi Yonezu or the terriffic [Fighter] by Bump of Chicken could.

Instead my pick goes to Children of the Whales. Less is more is a statement often uttered and its certainly true here. With its beautifully rendered and expertly animated ever moving sea of sand accompained by Rionos beautiful yet melancholy song the ED of Children of the Whales does a masterful job of keeping up the tone of the show all the way to the very end. And for that imo deserves to be called the best ED of fall 2017:

(you'll have to imagine the sea of sand by yourself I'm affraid)

#1 Kerberos, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

It's really hard not to like the Garo Vanishing Line OP. That "woahohwoahoh" plays in my head a lot. If I were going for stunning visuals, Vanishing Line's OP would be my first choice.

Juuni Taisen's OP
    Rapture deserves a mention as well. It's got some neat chords.

My other favorites would be Ousama Game's OP "Feed The Fire" by Coldrain (yay) and Shoukoku no Altairs 2nd OP. It feels electric every time.

As for EDs nothing much stands out except for the ED of Kino's Journey 2017. Need to check out the themes of other currently airing shows as well.

3. Sora Senpai

Sora Senpai The Ecchi King
    Contributor Gold Founder

OPENINGS
    UQ Holder's opening is Nostalgic as hell considering it's Negima but with a different artist. Which makes me slightly biased towards it.
    As Kerb Mentioned Children of the Whales has a great opening as well but not my favorite of the season.
    A sleeper op because it is very fun would be Anime-Gataris op

And how can you hate DJ Kitty?!?!?!
    Another really good one is from hoozuki's Cool headedness.

However for my favorite op...it's a tie between Recovery of and MMO Junkie and Blend S
    MMO Junkie has that serious to fun song with a really good opening animation. It doesn't give too much away when it comes to the story of MMO Junkie but there's pieces in it which make the viewer go "Oh damn this could be an interesting anime."

Blend S opening is just basically non-stop fun. Plus when someone is spinning in circles while having a nosebleed...sign me up lol.

ENDINGS
    I really love Umaru's ending. I thought it was cute AF

Plus the song is a real headbanger at parts.

Again as mentioned Kekkai Sensen and Children of the Whales have really really good endings. Top 5 in my opinion.
    In the end though I have to give it to Mmo Junkie, mainly because I can relate to everything Moriko goes through in this ending lol. Plus I really like the guitar solo in the song.

Kuze likes this.
  4. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

@Kuze If that genuinely is the OP for Juuni Taisen I instantly withdraw my own submission. Besides being a really solid song visually that OP is superior to almost everything I've seen this year and definitely the best OP this season.

Damn I really gotta start watching Juuni Taisen already. Fuck so much to watch this season, so little time to watch it all.

@Sora Senpai I concur Children of the Whales doesn't have the best OP this season. The song is fantastic but visually it's fairly traditional. Which makes sense for a traditional fantasy anime but it doesn't make for the most visually stunning OP.

5. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Yeah that's the OP for Juuni Taisen. I've listened to the full song as well and it's a blast. But now that you mention it, the visuals are pretty good as well. As for the show, it's currently going steady, nothing all that impressive but its got potential.

6. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Forgot to mention the Inuyashiki ED theme.

7. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Juuni Taisen's ED by one of my very favorites Do As Infinity deserves the pitch as well.

8. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Final shout-out to the Code Realize: Sousei no Himegimi opening. Totally rocks a Fate opening feel to it.