Best OPs of winter 2019

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Kerberos, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

So since @Sora Senpai forgot to make this thread I'm taking the honors instead. :p

So first off, OPs. Just like there are a ton of awesome shows this season there are also a ton of awesome OPs. So many even I had to make three sperate distinctions. Starting off with the disposable ones: My Roommate is a Cat, Endro, Kemurikusa and The Promised Neverland are all teriffic shows but their OPs are largely disposable.

Next up are the honorable mentions. First of all Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka which starts off with a series of extremely stylish visuals, lots of neat little effects and a good deal of symbolism. Unfortunately all that goes out the window halfway through the OP and the rest is just completely generic. Hence why it only gets an honorable mention. Half a brilliant OP is not enough to warrant a spot on the top list but it's still worth mentioning. The other two honorable mentions go to Dororo and Kaguya-sama. Both OPs are really solid on a technical level but I find both really lack a style and personality of their own. (since they are mimicking True Detective and James Bond style openings respectively)

Now onto the actual top three, For me these are really close and if you want you can rearrange them in any order you like as all three are really good and any gripes I have with them are ultimately just very minor.

#3: Mob Psycho 100 OP2

The first OP for this show was my pick for best OP of summer 2016 and it still stnads as one of the best OPs that I have come across. So trying to match let alone top that benchmark was a Herculean effort. And while I do think the show's first opening sequence is still the stronger of the two, this second one comes very close. Brimming with the same style and visual brilliance as the first one. Not to mention another kick ass opening song by the same people that did the first one. The only reason I did dock points for this one is because the final twenty seconds is basically just a lot of sakuga showing off and while it does look more stylish than these sequences usually do it still feels a little lazy. It's still and incredibly OP though and well deserving of a place on this list.

#2: Kakegurui OP2

Similar to Mob Psycho, Kakegurui's first OP was also a phenomenal opening sequence. Dorected by Sayo Yamamoto (Michiko and Hatchin, Yuri on Ice) and brimming with visual flair and symbolism. Similarly trying to top that must have seemed like a Herculean effort. And originally I didn't think the people at Mappa succeeded. But the more I watched the new OP, the more I began to like it and yeah...I'll say it. I think it's better than the first. The new song by Junna (she of Ancient Magus OP1 fame) is fantastic and really fits the show and once again this OP is brimmign with really cool visual flourished and symbolism. What I really love though is that it's nothing like the first one. Instead of trying to reproduce the same OP, they created an entirely different one with it's own distinc eastethic and style yet one that is equally well put together. If you pause the OP frequently you will discover so many absolutley mindblowing frames and little visual effects that really make this OP something truly special.

#1: Boogiepop and Others

Ultimately only one OP can take the nr1 spot and for me it's this one. Everything about the OP is sheer genius! From the juxtaposition of images and the fact that it opens and ends on the same scene (referencing the show's extremely non-chronological storytelling) to the actual scenes it depicts which hint strongly at events in the show but only if you've already seen the series do you understand the visual ques.Not to mention the whole OP gives off this very dark and unnerving vibe with it's surreal imagery and unnerving song. (I'm not a fan of myth and roid but this is an excellent song and perfect for the show) All of which amounts to an OP that's dark, distorubing and insanely clever. Making it the perfect opening sequence for the show it's attached to and my pick for best OP of the season!

So that's my picks. Now time to see yours! Go right ahead, the floor is yours...

Seshi likes this.
  2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Party is over......Soredemo odoritakatta................

Ahem, I mean that Dororo OP is the bomb. I enjoy Ziyoou-vachi tracks. Their Ending Theme "Half" for Tokyo Ghoul:re was pretty good too. Plus no doubt about the visuals of the Dororo opening being brilliant. Some Osamu Tezuka art-style homages in there as well.

Special mention goes to Domestic na Kanojo's Opening song. Powerful performance by Minami.

Not any other great OPs that come to mind for this season. Boogiepop's OP is an honorable mention. Think Mob Psycho's 1st season opening was way better than the 2nd season.

3. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Gonna throw in the 2nd opening of Karakuri Circus by Kana Boom.