Shounen Black Clover

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Narilka, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

[​IMG]

Synopsis:

Asta and Yuno were abandoned together at the same church and have been inseparable since. As children, they promised that they would compete against each other to see who would become the next Emperor Magus. However, as they grew up, some differences between them became plain. Yuno was a genius with magic, with amazing power and control, while Asta could not use magic at all, and tried to make up for his lack by training physically. When they received their Grimoires at age 15, Yuno got a spectacular book with a four-leaf clover (most people receive a three-leaf-clover), while Asta received nothing at all. However, when Yuno was threatened, the truth about Asta's power was revealed, he received a five-leaf clover Grimoire, a "black clover"! Now the two friends are heading out in the world, both seeking the same goal!

(source MAL)

Studios: Studio Pierrot
    Source: Manga
    Genres: Action, Comedy, Shounen, Fantasy
    License: Funimation
    Stream: Crunchyroll

2. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

Wait... Today is the day? Wooo! Time to go watch some Black Clover!

3. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I got through 8 minutes of this. I said 15 when I was discussing it earlier, but when I looked back at the stream, it was stopped at 8.50-something. It felt like 15 minutes because it was agonising to my ears. Asta's voice is pure torture. I should issue some sort of medals to anyone who can actually endure a full episode of that screeching. I will wait for Funimation to release a dub and see if that's any less torturous to listen to. The premise for this show seems okay, but I couldn't get past Asta's screaming to know whether it's actually any good otherwise.

JoJo likes this.
  4. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

Don't you know that the louder you scream the more powerful you become? #Shounens101

Matemar, ThisGuy and Narilka like this.
  5. DamianWinters

DamianWinters Active Member

Well Funimation are Simuldubbing it so you are in luck. Should be out in 2 or so weeks.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  6. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

Lmfao holy shit, you were right @Shannon Apple , that screaming was atrocious.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  7. DamianWinters

I might have to check out the sub just to hear this screaming, lets hope the dub tones it down.

8. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Haha! Now you believe me. There are so many complaints about it from people who dropped the show purely due to Asta, so maybe Funimation will take this into account with the dubbing. Fingers crossed.

9. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

I watched the whole episode, but even with my volume at 4 the screaming was suffering to listen too. Had it been any louder I am sure my TV's speakers would have burst.

I have never read the manga for this, but............ after this episode and shitty cliffhanger they ended on I might just start.

10. OctalKey

OctalKey 100% Polyester
    Gold Founder

Okay so we've covered the screaming of the seiyuu not what about the other thing everyone talks about when they discuss this anime? Where's the discussion on how it's inspired by other Shounens and can be legit competition for MHA or Boruto?

11. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

Depends if they can fix the screaming issue. I do believe it released at a good time in the manga world, but as far as it's actual popularity I couldn't say. I am behind the times, and don't watch Boruto or MHA as I am reading the manga. I think it is a typically shonen underdog story like every other shonen underdog story. If I had to say it was close to anything it really is just a more medieval version of UQ! Holder (Doesn't have an anime, the sequel to My Sensei Negima)

12. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Someone posted this on Youtube. Black Clover episode one in 1 minute. Rofl.

13. DamianWinters

I watched the special aswell and the screaming in that was so much more toned down, idk what the hell the producers were thinking.

14. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

Is it just me or does he sound like a Moped with a shitty muffler?

15. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

Asta reminds me of the shrill voices from 80s and 90s anime, do we really need to go back to that? That would be a flat out "no" I had a hard time focusing on other things in the episode that had potential. Damnit, I was hoping this was going to be a good one but I can't watch it because of stupid Asta, I may be watching a dub for this one just because of his voice alone.

16. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

I watched the OVA episode too and it's quite good. Had it continued with that voice actor, I wouldn't complain at all.

17. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Yeah...F Astra and his screaming. It's basically Sasuke vs Naruto, and who will become the Magic Hokage. Even this first episode can be directly linked to the first Naruto Ep. Someone is being threatened (Iruka and Yuno) by an unknown individual, he get's inspired by his friend and suddenly gains a ton o prowess. Being a five leave clover book in stead of the Shadow Clone Jutsu.

Still gonna watch it though...

18. J4sm1n4

J4sm1n4 The Queen of Hell and Heaven
    Contributor

So yeah i somehow managed to live through all that screaming... Anyway, apart from Asta annoyingly screaming "Not Yet!!!!!!" It was your typical shonen anime. Just like I thought... The first episode failed to impress me. It was funny, but nothing otherworldly. Until something major happens that can catch my attention i wont change my view on it. Its your typical sbonen anime

19. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

I want to say it right now... Black Clover is literally just one giant clusterfuck of every shonen cliche and a ripoff of every famous shonen. There is barely an ounce of originality to it at all. And yet, I continue to read every new chapter and love every page of it.
    If you enjoy battle shonens, you'll find something to enjoy about this :p

(but yeah, the first few episodes are gonna be pretty bad lol)

20. J4sm1n4

J4sm1n4 The Queen of Hell and Heaven
    Contributor

Well im not expecting it to be original and stuff.... i already know its typical shonen. Just hope it has an interesting story at aleast and great action...