Sci-Fi BLADE RUNNER 2049 (2017)

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Kuze, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

[​IMG]

Lowdown
    :

Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what's left of society into chaos. K's discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years.

Cast also includes Jared Leto, Robin Wright and Dave Bautista.

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Trailer
    :

The 3rd trailer that came out today

Imdb: here

Release Date: 6 October 2017 (USA)

2. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

I'll watch it because I probably have the biggest boner for Ryan Gosling in this hemisphere.

The music was pretty spot on in the trailer, however the story looks a little too action-y while simultaneously being uninteresting.

Commodified nerd culture yo.

Struggler likes this.
  3. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

That kitchen needs more futurism.

4. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

I dug Prisoners and Gosling always brings the goose home. Also, original movie? Overrated.

And yes, do I not fucking like Vangelis.......

5. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

I'm hyped for this. Batista looks old. Everything else looks good. After Sicario and Arrival, I'm committed to watching everything else Denis Villeneuve has to offer.

6. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

New trailer:

7. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Shinichiro Watanabe's directing an anime short of Blade Runner. Titled Black Out 2022, the anime will take place in the year 2022, between the original Blade Runner film, which takes place in 2019, and its sequel Blade Runner 2049. The story will involve a large power outage on the west coast of the United States. No release date announced as of yet.

Oh Snape likes this.
  8. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

I want fucking all of that.

9. TonyTony

TonyTony Active Member

Music by flying lotus. This is fuckin it.

Enies likes this.
  10. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Anime short > Movie then

11. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

Haven't even bothered watching any trailers, because I don't need to see them to be excited to see the movie.

12. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm excited as fuck about this. Blade Runner is my favourite movie of all time (technically it's tied with the original Ghost in the Shell but whatever) and while I would usually be very sceptical about a sequel to it (the ending is kind of perfect, at least if you watch the final cut) in this case I have a lot of confidence in this for several reasons.

First of all it's being directed by Dennis Villeneuve whom I find is the best director currently working in Hollywood. His American debut: Prisoners is honestly one of the best films I have ever seen and a film I would (somewhat hesitatingly) call a genuine masterpiece. His second film Enemy was somewhat of a style over substance film but still had a lot of interesting themes and in general was very compelling and unique film,.His third film was Sicario a very gritty and violent but also very thought provoking film about an issue that's very touchy and topical and which, I might add in my opinion was the best action thriller to come out of Hollywood since Heat. And his most recent film was the fantastic cerebral sci fi movie Arrival which turned an alien invasion story into a deeply thought provokign exploration of language and communication.

So you have a massively talented director who's highly adept at both suspense, action and sci fi and of whom all his work is inued with deeper thematic material which oftentimes can be quite risky. In other words they honestly couldn't have found a better director for a sequel to Blade Runner. Of course that doesn't mean shit if they don;'t also have a good writer backing him up. So who wrote the script for this? Well...the same guy that also wrote the script for the first film...

And finally this film has an R rating. Which in itself doesn't mean anything except that it proably has some graphic violence and/or naughty scenes in it. But for a big Hollywood prodyction to not go for that oh so coveted PG-12 rating means they're not targeting as wide an audience as they can find and actually made the film to appeal to a smaller more dedicated fanbase.

So while we ultimately have no way of knowing if this film will be any good until we can actually see it, i'd say the sings definitely point to this film being one worth seeing and perhaps, (and I admit this is a very small chance) a worthy successor to the first one.

Either that or it'll be the first film Dennis Villeneuve directed that'll be a complete flop and panned by audiences and critics alike and you can ll tell me what a naive idiot I was for getting excited about this film. :p

@Oh Snape Tasteless Casual :p

#12 Kerberos, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  13. Enies

Enies Famous Member

has anyone seen this movie yet? Im really anxious to go see it but i feel like the general populace is sleeping in on this. Maybe the big name actors might make it more popular.

14. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Unless I've been on pot for the last 10 days, this movie isn't out yet.

15. Enies

Enies Famous Member

oh fuck im an idiot. Though it came out cuz it showed me showtimes when i googled it but didn't see it was oct 5. anyways, i really want to see im gonna see it alone if nobody is going to see it with me :/

16. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

In the meantime you should check out that anime short Blade Runner Black Out 2022 that came out on Crunchyroll yesterday. Its brilliant and explains a few key details that will be there in the upcoming movie. It's got that Ergo Proxy vibe to it. Here's the link.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/blade-ru...k-out-2022-blade-runner-black-out-2022-748417

Enies likes this.
  17. The_Archangel

The_Archangel Shadowbanned

The film's visuals and concept art that appeared in the anime short is stunning. This seems like the next big cyberpunk work.

Kuze likes this.
  18. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Yeah, too bad it's just a 15 min short. I could have watched an entire 24 episode anime series of that without blinking.

19. Enies

Enies Famous Member

yeah that was pretty dope granted it should not be difficult to mess up 15 minute segment. but a TV show based on this would be awesome.

20. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Blade Runner is pretty big in the cyberpunk worldas is Phillip K Dick. I think what people mean is....are the millennials gonna get on board? Who cares the sci-fi, nerd, original fans will insure its box office returns. Well on opening week anyway.......