Sci-Fi BLADE RUNNER 2049 (2017)

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Kuze, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

The Watanabe short only got me even more hyped to see the actual sequel. Clunky voice acting (English dubbing?) aside, everything else makes the short a lot, lot better. The Flying Lotus score especially was a great little touch. I'd totally be on board to see an Animatrix-style collection of animated shorts set in the Blade Runner 'verse.

Oh Snape likes this.
  2. Enies

Enies Famous Member

So I watched this movie yesterday and I can say it was pretty dam incredible. Which is weird because you don't realize how incredible this movie is until you let all the things that happen sink in for a couple of minutes because a lot of things do happen as this movie is really long at 2 hr 40min.

Once you do that you realize how well thought out this movie is and the movie definitely pulls the rug under you a couple of times.

People talk about how John wick 2 is a great example of a sequel which I did thought was good but not as good as the first. However, John wick is not a great a example of a sequel because this just might be the best sequel ever.

It stays incredible true to the original, the movie is very atmospheric and visual, and is a slow burning suspense. The only drawback of the movie might be its length and its slow pace but then again the original was like that too so the movie really really kept to the original.

Highly recommended. Probably one of the best sequels ever made thats how true to the original this movie stays and actually I'd say is even better since the original is a bit outdated. Jared leto was awesome.

#22 Enies, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  3. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

So puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumped for this.

How many scenes has Ford got or does he just turn up to say hi? Yes or no will do.

4. Tonto-banchou

Just saw this in the cinema. Watch it on the biggest screen and with the loudest sound system you can. You're gonna need it. Agreeing with @Enies here, 2049's better and a lot prettier-looking than the original. I know the future here isn't supposed to be pretty-looking, but you get my point.

A couple of people walked out of it. Can't blame them, actually. It's over three hours long, so you're really gonna have to do all your nasty business before it starts if you don't want to leave mid-way.

@Oh Snape He drinks some whiskey and talks about Elvis. It was amazing to see his face actually emote for once.

5. TonyTony

TonyTony Active Member

I came into this thread expecting spoilers but, thanks you guys didnt do that. This movie is getting fuckin raved about from people I trust. I cant wait to see it this week.

6. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Got my tickets for Monday. Should be a unicorn.

7. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Villeneuve did it. The story was engrossing and the aesthetics was at par, if not better than the Blade Runner. A movie worth remembering.

8. Tonto-banchou

Came across an interesting article (spoilers found within), where the authors talked about the film's underwhelming performance at the box office (because of course that happened). Some of the main points raised here include:
    • 2049 was working with a limited audience to begin with. This makes sense, because the original film only became popular after its theatric release. And even then, its cult status was only elevated to this position by a pretty small fanbase.
    • The sprawling time length proved intimidating to the average movie goer. Again, this makes sense.
    • Most of the film's ticket-buyers were male, with a virtually-nonexistent female presence. The article goes more in-depth into the matter, where comparisons to Fury Road are made. The comparison's legit, because both films came as sequels to original movies long left dead by Hollywood. But where Fury Road excelled at getting the female viewers to come, 2049 didn't.
    • 2049's plot might have been too complicated or too meditative for the average movie viewer's liking.
    It's that last point that really bugs me, because 2049 left such a great impact on me, and I feel it'll do the same for others if they give it a chance. But then again, I guess movies these days are viewed only as a form of escape from the real world and other real problems we experience now. At least we can find comfort in the fact that 2049 even exists, and in the fact that it dared to be something different and totally its own.

9. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Too complicated? Lol. Gaff making random origami pieces is confusing. This movie was pretty straightforward, unless wooden horses mean something else. Also whatever happened to Deckard being a r...yeah that plotline.

10. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

11. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

I was of the opinion they'd finish off Deckard in this movie, thus ending Ford's role in the franchise. But they did the other one in instead.

12. Tonto-banchou

One of the biggest things I enjoyed about this sequel was how they made the Deckard Debate completely irrelevant.

Because who cares what he is anymore if there's a new baby to worry about?

I love this. I love that Denis is getting so much love. A really special thing about his filmography is how none of his movies are exactly alike in genre or style.

13. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Best sequel ever?

Best sequel ever.

Also, the music during the last third owned.

14. Enies

Enies Famous Member

yup.