Fantasy Boku no Hero Academia

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by J4sm1n4, May 23, 2016.

1. J4sm1n4

J4sm1n4 The Queen of Hell and Heaven
    Contributor

[​IMG]
    Summary: The appearance of "quirks," newly discovered super powers, has been steadily increasing over the years, with 80 percent of humanity possessing various abilities from manipulation of elements to shapeshifting. This leaves the remainder of the world completely powerless, and Izuku Midoriya is one such individual.

Since he was a child, the ambitious middle schooler has wanted nothing more than to be a hero. Izuku's unfair fate leaves him admiring heroes and taking notes on them whenever he can. But it seems that his persistence has borne some fruit: Izuku meets the number one hero and his personal idol, All Might. All Might's quirk is a unique ability that can be inherited, and he has chosen Izuku to be his successor!

Enduring many months of grueling training, Izuku enrolls in UA High, a prestigious high school famous for its excellent hero training program, and this year's freshmen look especially promising. With his bizarre but talented classmates and the looming threat of a villainous organization, Izuku will soon learn what it really means to be a hero.

2. Saturna

Saturna Active Member
    Gold Founder

I have so much hype for this show. It is definitely worth checking out for those who have never seen it.

3. J4sm1n4

Contributor

Yup. It's the best anime this season imo. Every episode is dope!

4. Akio

Akio Senior Member
    Platinum Founder

See I was excited for this because it is Bones. I am only 3 episodes in I think, but it has sucked so far. I need to watch more of it.

5. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

This is one of those shows I think that improves with each succeeding episode. I mean the comedy is really basic at first and they're just introducing the premise but as new characters and opposing forces are introduced it can get better. I've put it off for now given the impression it was emanating in the initial episodes but will be picking it up once season 1 ends. I feel this show will fulfill its potential once it rolls into the 2nd season and you need to have the appetite for shonen super hero anime as well.

J4sm1n4 likes this.
  6. J4sm1n4

Contributor

That's exactly it. At first it's only something like introduction episodes introducing characters and building up everything and after that everything starts. I can't wait for everything to be animated. I love Boku no hero academia!!!

7. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Im kinda torn between watching and not watching this. I hear a lot of goods and bads on both ends. I think im still going to give a try because I hear more about how its starts off slow but gets better as you watch it more.

8. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

I'm one episode behind, it's okay up till now. Nothing really special, typical MC, childhood rival (a bit more of a a-hole then usual) and a generic plot. The visuals are okay, but damn, please make the mc stop tearing up every time the wind blows, and I never met a dude with the anger problems the grenades arms (sup with that lame outfit) dude has. I mean come on! All might and the school faculty are allright I guess.

In all honesty, I expected a bit more...

9. J4sm1n4

Contributor

Honestly, i think that the fact that MC doesn't just magically learn how to use his powers without any consequences is one of the best things about this anime. And I think it's pretty cool how their powers works.

10. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Ow I definitely agree with you on those parts, but Izuku is just a plain and simple character. Maybe he'll grow through out the series, but he kinda reminds of the MC from Accel World. And I really, realllllyyyy got sick of his crying and whining throughout that anime. I'm just hoping this don't take that same route.

11. J4sm1n4

Contributor

It was a long time since I have watched Accel world but from what I can remember Izuku and MX from Accel world are totally different.

12. GreenSmartie

GreenSmartie Sakugacity's (Self-Proclaimed) Mascot

I mean I adore the characters in this show to say the least, with ONE noticeable exception. I literally could not fathom why anyone liked Katsuki for the longest time, like I genuinely despised his character so much. I even looked into the manga to try and find out if he becomes less of a tampon-scrubber later in the story (won't spoil with my findings). I even made this long-winded rant on tumblr of all places asking people what the deal was with his popularity. After some discussion with other fans though, I've come to realize his horrid personality is actually a really refreshing example of pure chaotic good; he's genuinely trying to do the right thing for ALL the wrong reasons, and he is such a good contrast to the protagonist in terms of his motivations and general demeanor. Still hoping he cleans up his act eventually though, I can't tell you how much I want to wrap my hands around his scrawny neck till his face turns purple sometimes : ))))))))

13. J4sm1n4

Contributor

Really? I loved Katsuki from the first time I saw him. I mean he is a complex character who wants to be a hero while being hotheaded and angry all the time. Everything about him screams villain but no he is hero. I like that about him. Plus I genuinely enjoy his angry out bursts and like his personality. I don't even know who I like more Izuku or Katsuki.

14. GreenSmartie

Honestly I thought he was straight up abusive. Like, the way he treats Izuku is so atrocious, and that's just Izuku. Not to mention his interactions with other characters in general come off as really mean and disrespectful. I get why people are cool with that now (contrast and moral complexity, etc.), but it still bugs me how much he just straight up abused Izuku for years and he's never really been just straight up called out on how awful he is? Like we get some moments that come REALLY close, but we've yet to have a scene where someone just goes "Katsuki, you're an abusive, mean-spirited douche canoe because-" and just tears him a new one. Not that he'd learn anything from it or actually become a better person, I'm just referring to what would personally put my mind at ease. His character is fully capable of realizing his flaws, I just wish he CARED about how his bullying affects people besides Izuku. Like, civilians could get seriously injured or killed if he doesn't learn to show more consideration for people besides himself, you know? His superiority complex is still one of his biggest flaws and it really, really shows. Also still not cool with how he offhandedly told Izuku to kill himself in the first episode. Like, DUDE. That warrants a straight up apology that poor Izuku is never gonna get.

15. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

This falls into the series of I started watching it, and hesitated reading it, but it DOES fall into the hype man. It is at least a really good read. I did not like the MC Deku for the longest time. Sort of like Saitama in plain looking.

16. J4sm1n4

Contributor

I think he will change and grow as a character later in the manga since where the manga is right now his personality was necessary to get them there. I think as he will grow as a hero his personality will become better.

17. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

Given the latest updates. I think he just want's to be acknowledged, and for his own growth he has his own way of doing things. I like his character and prefer him over the MC. Mainly due to the F Bomb being a filler word for him lol.

18. J4sm1n4

Contributor

But he was always acknowledged. He was always praised by everyone. Every person has high expectations for him. I think he just wants to be the best. The best hero, the best at everything.

19. GreenSmartie

I get all that, I just don't think it excuses what a terrible person he is and has been. Not saying it's wrong to like his character, I just still really don't like him at the moment. I've warmed up to him a bit, but he still has these moments where's he just kinda....extra? I guess? I just hope he keeps improving and maybe one day he'll actually apologize for some of his actions. That's the dream at least.

20. J4sm1n4

Contributor

You already know my dream from my profile pic. :p