Mystery Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019)

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Kuze, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Not that I can remember. I mean 2 episodes were done before but never 4 episodes in one go.

yoda313 likes this.
  2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Boogiepop wa Warawanai Opening Full「shadowgraph」by MYTH & ROID

3. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Boogiepop 2019 ED FULL〈Whiteout〉by Riko Azuna

4. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Boogiepop 2019 Insert Song FULL〈Sayonara〉by Riko Azuna

5. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Took me a while but I've finally started watching after finishing my backlog of Dororo and Promised Neverland. Episode 1 is done and they've pretty much kept the formula of sequencing the plot the same as Boogiepop Phantom. There's this well planned gap in the story which hinders the viewers to fully understand what's going on behind the scenes but it is eventually revealed in the following episodes in another story which has a link to said story. Which is all great for me cause this show demands complete attention.

Would like some of those dark, back alley confrontations involving Kirima Nagi, Boogiepop and the monsters which was always such a terror in the old series. But I guess it'll be all shiny and sleek in this new animation.

All in all as a fan of the old one, this is looking very promising. Hopefully I'll catch up to all the aired episodes by this weekend.

6. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Nice, they did Boogiepop's origin story as well. Currently on episode 10, the start of it all. And the opening theme is unskippable; haven't skipped it a single time in the last 10 episodes.

7. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

This Boogiepop is comparatively easier to understand and make sense of since they put context into each incident. But I guess the charm of the old series was how it was impossible to understand at first and it came off as better somehow.

This season has been good in its own right.

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I did start the new section. Just the first ep on the evolution thing.

You're right kuze this is pretty easy to follow. It's still convuleted though. I do like the mini sections. It makes it finite without filler episodes.

9. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

I finished till episode 13, the origins arc and now I'll wait until the final 2 episodes have aired. I'm guessing the last five episodes is another arc, prolly Boogiepop Overdrive which is a pretty important arc. So I'll watch the episodes together.

Yeah, this is a bit convoluted if you aren't aware about the background of the Boogiepop series. But trust me, the old anime series back in 2000 was even more confusing.

10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Would it be worth it to go back to it sometime? The original?

Granted I have a few sets I bought on disc that I need to go through first.

11. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Definitely. The events of the old series take place after the events of this new show. So you are better placed to watch the old one after finishing this one cause you'll understand it better.

The animation is like that of Serial Experiments Lain for obvious reasons. It came out in the year 2000, probably a year or two after Lain, plus the art direction was done so as to give that mysterious feel to the show. So if you're a fan of retro looking anime you'll enjoy the anime from an artistic perspective. As far as the story goes, it might be a hit or miss depending on your liking of macabre psychological plots plus the order of events is completely messed up in that. Only after like the 8th or 9th episode can you start to make sense of things. But since you have watched the new show first I think you get an understanding of it much quicker.

12. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks for the info. Older animation is always a favorite of mine.

13. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Here's an ultimate guide to the entire Boogiepop franchise written up by Seven Seas Entertainment a few years back. It's divided into 4 parts and explains the entirety of the Boogiepop series, light novel, anime and everything in between.

http://www.gomanga.com/news/boogiepop_01.php

14. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Cool! I'll check it out when I'm done with the current series.

Do they have synopsis for most series like this? I'd only do it for ones I've finished or are part way through.

15. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

You mean for other anime shows? Doubt it. Maybe some other websites do it but I'm not sure.

16. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Apart from that Zoragi bit this arc has been decent. Last episode next week. Wonder what that look in Shirou's face means.

[​IMG]

17. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

That was a beautiful end to the show. Very stylish overall and philosophical in certain moments. Nothing like the vibe of Phantom but quite faithful to the novels. It's prolly not gonna be in my list of "all time high" anime but it's a must watch, especially for Boogiepop fans.

Bummed though that they didn't include the scenes from the Promo Video, like Mo Murder fighting a special or Kirima Nagi duking it out in the tunnel. Those scenes looked hype.

And the King lives.

[​IMG]