Chess novice looking for advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yoda313, Jul 7, 2020.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

So I bought the chess ultra game on xbox one back in December. I played for a little but shelved it. I picked it up again a few weeks ago and really dug into it. It has tutorials that I followed and took notes. I got pretty deep into it.

I have the training wheels on so to speak. It shows where your pieces can move. It doesn't show where the computer can move of course.

I've gotten to many stalemates. So many so that it was discouraging. The game does have a rewind feature so I was able to finally work my way into a few wins after stalemating.

Miraculously I did finally beat the computer friday! That was very satisfying.:) especially seeing the achievement pop up for the first time.

Two things:

* I think I'm too aggressive in trying to clear the board
    * I'm still having difficulty realizing what constitutes a checkmate

Basically I leave myself open when I'm aggressing and get Trapped. Also I end up stalemating even when I have four or more pieces to just two or three opponent pieces. While I have the move indicators on I'm trying to identify which places are advantageous to move my remaining pieces to block the king. But I still have only won outright once.

A question and a request:

* should I start playing without the move indicator to get a more intuitive feel without relying on the aid? _____ (I do have a good feel for bishops rooks and pawns - it's just queens and knights during check that are really tripping me up)____

* please feel free to suggest youtube tutorials or websites for aspiring novices.

I never thought I'd get into chess. I never saw the appeal until I really tried it.

Thanks for your help!

2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Hehe classic machine mind move init. PC moves remaining piece and repeats same move twice or more and game is stalemate. There are a lot of strategies but all the counter strategies are fed into the system as well so playing against pc on high level is no fun. You can either lose or learn/recognize the opening book moves of the pc attack/defence patterns and counteract which in most cases might result in a draw. I'm pretty much a noob myself but you could give the different attack/defence strategies a read. How to open good with white or how to react to first white move with black (moves like Ruy Lopez or Sicilian Defense)

3. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

M8 its not checkers. You just need to kill one piece. Also if you have more/powerful pieces than opponent its imperative you keep their king in check or at least think ahead so they can't force a stalemate. This occurs where the player whose turn it is to move is not in check but has no legal move eg they can't move their king because it is stuck in front/behind a piece or if moving to any available square puts it in in check.

Now if your king is in check and can't move anywhere else cuz it is blocked or will be in check thats a checkmate. It literally means the king is dead as the next move your opponent will take your king.

https://www.chess.com/

That's all you need. And it helps playing with noob humans. Its super popular during lockdown so tons of new users. After a quick blast I realise I'm crap at it. Man I used to be ok.

As for tips, control the middle of the board by getting your queen and knight/bishop out asap.

4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Kuze - thanks. I'll look those techniques up. And yep I noticed the computer does seem to move back and forth in the same spot a lot but I probably don't know enough to really know for sure.

@Oh Snape - so that's part of my issue is trying to mount the right attack. So far as boxing in the king is the main thing to not worry about sheer numbers and just positioning? That's what I'm trying to get out of my system that I don't need every piece.

As far as playing against other players I haven't felt strong enough to battle even another noob. Also I haven't set aside more than an hour at a sitting so I don't want to rush an opponent. I would have to dedicate time to make sure I get something out of a real battle.

Thanks! Keep it coming.

5. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Not my game, I can’t even think one move ahead. Sounds like you’re doing good,maybe you’ll be ready to take on “Big Blue” before long.

6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Only if big blue is papa Smurf :D

But its doing enough to keep me intrigued. I'm definitely sticking with it.

7. Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey Newbie

I'm by no means a chess expert, but I did play in competitive tourneys through the USCF as a child.

Not to cock tease, but once I get back from work, I'll give some advice. (and probably delete this worthless post)

The only recommendation I can give short hand is to learn algebraic notation and review your past games try to identify the blunders you made that made you force a stalemate when a checkmate was a better choice. Review with other people.
    I noticed a lot of people focus on openings and the beginning of the game as opposed to sealing the deal with endgame.
    Chess.com is a great (and free) resource for this. Not only for recording your past games, but for playing with people who have similar or different playing styles than you. This will allow you to be more fluid with your playing style, and adapt to your opponent.

Messagee.if you wanna talk more, otherwise I'll add onto this post later