Fantasy Children of the Whales

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Tonto-banchou, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

[​IMG]

Genre: Sci-Fi/Mystery/Drama/Fantasy/Shoujo
    Studio: J.C. Staff
    Source: Manga

Synopsis
    A great majority of the Mud Whale Island are known users of the saimia ability, which is a special power that guarantees them an early death. Fourteen-year-old Chakuro works as an archivist and possesses this same ability. Despite this, he hangs out with his friends and goes on adventures with them to see the other islands. One day, Chakuro meets a foreign girl from another island who may end up completely changing his fate.

PV

Children of the Whales is currently streaming on Netflix.

2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Nobody following up on Children of the Whales?

Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau OP「Sono Saki e」by RIRIKO

Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau ED「Hashitairo」by rionos

#2 Kuze, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Kerberos likes this.
  3. Sora Senpai

Sora Senpai The Ecchi King
    Contributor Gold Founder

Yeah I just havent gotten around to writing anything about it yet, I want to give it one more episode before I decide to drop it or not.

4. Sora Senpai

Contributor Gold Founder

Holy shit this episode was intense! Poor Sami but she went out a hero.
    Ouni is my fucking boy though! oh my lord he tore those clowns up!
    The murders were pretty brutal, Lances' to the throat and stomach, jeeze.
    Did Taisha protect that dude that's always with her? Unless that was a different guy in the medical room saying "Taisha-sama" If so props to her as well.

Chakuro at least fought back which gives me some hope he will whoop some ass later in the anime.

Kerberos likes this.
  5. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I am and I fucking love it! From the fantastic artwork and phenomenal soundtrack to the simple yet endearing characters to the utterly engrossing story full of big twists and reveals. I stated most of my thoughts in the podcast which is now up though I will rectify one statement I made there where I said this show is something that people of almost all ages could watch. I hadn't seen ep2 and 3 back then and now that I have I take that back. This is older teens and up as it does get pretty violent form time to time. Still a fantastic action fantasy show I highly recommend. This feels very much like a cult classic in the making. I'm predicting this isn one of those shows where in ten years time someone is going to find it purely by chance and then tell all his friends like "I've found this super obscure action fantasy anime called Children of the Whales. Never heard of it before but it's super good!" That prospect both saddens and delights me in equal measure.

And yes the OP is fucking awesome. Here's the version with visuals:

Edit: Changed the tag since this is a fantasy show and not a sci fi show. Still major thanks for putting up this thread though @Tonto-banchou

#5 Kerberos, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  6. Sora Senpai

Contributor Gold Founder

Really good episode. Ginshu is a top class waifu no doubt in my mind.

Damn Chiakki went though some deep shit this episode. I kind of like and hate that he just accepted instantly that he had to save everyone and keep people connected. Like "okay cool we're getting right into it." but in another sense it's like "Damn he just accepted it but that doesn't seem like his character." So hopefully this changes him into a more unpredictable character.

7. Sora Senpai

Contributor Gold Founder

Ouni my fucking BOY!!!!! I felt like this episode was a huge step in the plot as well. I like how they're going to seek for help against the empire. Kind of has a Star Wars feel to it.

Chakuro's development has been pretty good as well. I have a lot of hope that he becomes a pretty kick ass character.

Im interested in that old woman towards the end of the episode.

8. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Episode 1~7 PV

9. V0ID

V0ID GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN, YOU DAMN KIDS!!

I sorta felt like I stepped in to that trap and am ashamed myself at my age. My wife claimed she saw it a mile away :(

10. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

The anime's official website has posted a March 13 worldwide Netflix premiere date for the series.