Civilization VI

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Shi, May 27, 2016.

1. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

There are many ways to get an advantage without using military force against someone who is primarily an aggressor. There is a defensive tree that generally have more powerful attacks than an aggressor who attacks a fortified unit within a fortress or free standing wall.

In fact, this was a huge problem in Civilization 4.
    Ever tried using a Tank against Longbowman? Yeah, the Tank fucking loses.

2. DnJ

DnJ Angel
    Gold Founder

I rarely go head-on with militaries. I usually try to boost my science and my economy as much as I can. This way if I get attacked, I can buy off most of my military units and they're worth a lot more on the battlefield since they're always technologically ahead. It works quite well if I'm on an island. It becomes really easy to turtle myself and achieve a science victory.

I think the next victory type I'll be going for is the cultural one.

3. Karnage

Karnage Active Member
    Platinum Founder

I always enjoy building tall rather than wide. Turtling is fun and super cities are much better than a vast empire. In my opinion anyways. Preferably like to play with Ethiopia for that combat bonus vs civs with more cities. I usually play fairly passive for a while and raise/puppet cities I conquer.

4. DnJ

DnJ Angel
    Gold Founder

I never raze city, but I never annexe them either. Unless the position is too good, I always make them puppet. And I agree, I also prefer building taller than wider. I personally enjoy playing American because I always end up with another civilization on my turf and I can block them off for cheap: settle near them and buy tiles until they cannot further advance inland.

5. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

Ever play Civilization Revolution?
    Democracy is a pretty busted government that gives like 50% bonuses across the board but doesn't allow you to directly declare war, but you can be a complete asshole and have other people declare war on you.

Kinda like real life.

Anywho. I know they've been pushing to make people build wider over taller because the turtling strats people used to use in Civilization III and IV were just too strong. Playing Civilization III online was like the biggest time commitment I've ever seen. Literally, people would send out a stack of 100+ units on top of your city. It was like watching 300 where 3 of your Longbowman would fight off scores of Tanks. It was stupid.

6. DnJ

DnJ Angel
    Gold Founder

It's true that turtling is crazy strong. It's just so convenient when you're the one who's relying on it.

7. Psychotika

Psychotika Newbie
    Platinum Founder

My body is sooo ready for this I can't even begin to describe it. I hit 300 hours on Civ V, I can easily see losing myself in VI. Good bye life!

8. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Reminds me of the time I was warring a friend in Civilization: Revolution, and he managed to kill my entire army of modern units with a single archer in his city. Good times.

9. Zoltor

Zoltor Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

You should really play Galactic civ 2(get the Ultimate Edition), omg It's so godly, and everything is 100% customizable(you can even create your own techs to be learned/used in the game, your own species, your own ship designs, own maps, ect, ect, ect.

It's everything that civ is(just a scifi rendition of such), with everything fine tuned to perfection, and then some :)

10. Akio

Akio Senior Member
    Platinum Founder

Have you played 3 yet? It seems to have gone completely under the radar ever for fans of the series, but I really like it.

Civilization is actually one of the few strategy games I never turtle in. I prefer to fight the enemy away from my delicate farms and pastures.

11. Zoltor

Zoltor Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

I don't recall, It's been so long, but I remember after civ 2, the series went down hill(after civ 2, I forget which one I played, 3 or 4). It's like the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, the one that's still byfar the best one, is the very first game(yes the best one is Romance of the Three Kingdoms on the NES, It's perfection), civ 2 is was of those games, that really shouldn't have been turned into a franchise.

12. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

I loved the shit out out of Civ 3.
    It's just... I don't have 24 hours of free time to dedicate to one sit through.

13. Zoltor

Zoltor Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Huh, what there's no save option?

14. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

There is, the problem is pulling away long enough to do it.
    You know the story: I'll save and quit after I finish the Hanging Gardens.
    Oh shit, Egypt is encroaching on my turf, fuck that.
    They're trying to offer peace now? No way, I'm ending this.
    Ok, I'm done warring, let me get back on track and work on this Eiffel Tower.
    Wait, what?! America is building a Space Ship. Like hell they are.

Then you realize your Saturday is gone.

15. Zoltor

Zoltor Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Lol oh ok.

16. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

I used to love this game, although I only have Civilization III and it has been a long long time since I have played. I always intend to complete games but I never do, loved it when I played it though. I tried to play by equally dividing my time between military and economics and culture, my people rioted and complained a lot I thought, but it was probably normal for the game though. The new version looks interesting.