Cowboy Bebop is getting a Live-Action TV Series

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Red_Dragon, Jun 6, 2017.

1. CataraxCorey

CataraxCorey Mediocre Pokemon trainer

I feel that adaptations are always risky and I'm still hesitant towards it, but I'm still excited to see how they bring this to life. If this were two years ago I would probably feel the same way, but I think as long as they cast well and don't stray too far from the original it could be something memorable.

2. CataraxCorey

That's definitely fair, but I'm not as much worried about the animation on their end, like I said if this were two years ago and Netflix attempting this I would be more worried with that aspect.

3. Neilsan

Neilsan Newbie

Cool. I own the series. one of the best I have seen. it should be interesting.

4. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Cast list for the 10-episode live-action tv series is out.

John Cho as Spike
    Mustafa Shakir as Jet
    Daniella Pineda as Faye
    Alex Hassell as Vicious

That moment when u don't know any of them. Anyway hoping for the best. No idea if John Cho can pull of Spike's swagger.

Source: ANN

5. CataraxCorey

I like John Cho but I feel you're right, I don't see him being loose enough to pull off Spike

6. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Really? Harold and Kumar guy? Do these idiots even Danial Wu?

Also Faye has no tits.

Might as complete the trifacta and ditch the Jazz for mumble rap soundtrack. Remixed by Skrillex.

7. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Netflix announced on Thursday that Elena Satine (Strange Angel) will play Julia in the 10-episode live-action series.

[​IMG]

8. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Netflix has put the production on hold due to lead actor John Cho injuring his knee on the New Zealand set. The accident happened on the last take of a "routine and well-rehearsed scene" a few episodes into the 10-episode production, and that Cho has returned to Los Angeles for surgery and rehabilitation.

Source: ANN

9. Crimson

Crimson New Member

Live action anime is embarrassing.

Live action adaptations for things that don't need them, or weren't designed for them is even dumber. Textbook pandering for a quick buck.

"Live actions remakes" are """"hot"""" right now, so now everything we have that is popular to any degree, do it. That's what the suits say.

I couldn't really care less about this production anyway. I find Cowboy Bebop to be a fine series overall, but it's probably the most overrated series I've ever seen.

10. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I think the upside to some western live actions of anime shows is that they bring anime to a wider audience. People who would never have considered checking out the anime might be tempted to check out the source material after watching and enjoying the TV series.

Despite all the controversy surrounding the GITS movie, it did pull in new fans... and I actually enjoyed the movie. I can't say that licensing out to western filmmakers is a bad thing for the anime industry in general given the potential to pull in new viewers. They know it can't do any harm, and that's why they do it.

Although, I have seen some very poor and cheaply made live adaptions that I couldn't take seriously. The Fullmetal Alchemist live-action on Netflix was so terrible, I couldn't finish watching it. LOL.

11. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

The dude from Harold and Kumar is Spike.

Might as well have Seth Rogen as Jet, Amy Schumer as Faye and Michael Cera in drag as Ed.

This has hot steaming pile of shit written all over it. I'm hoping they somehow fluke an awesome soundtrack.

5oul Crusher and The_Archangel like this.
  12. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher body and mind

I'm not overly keen on Cowboy Bebop getting adapted. I feel that in one respect that these kind of shows are overly fan-servicey towards the live-action creators. I kind of wish that the people making this went in a similar direction to the anime beginning with writing music for the show and then plan the scenes around that.

13. Mantis

Mantis Newbie

I feel sorry for bigger fans of Cowboy Bebop. I'd hate for this to happen to one of my favourite shows (and it's really tough to pull this off with a space western) but I guess that's what happens to overdog anime these days. A silver lining to a show being less popular is that it's more or less immune to this kind of situation.

The Death Note abomination that Netflix crapped out can be compared to The Matrix's sequels: people just want to forget it exists! At least Death Note had more of a chance of actually working, despite them blowing it in the end anyway. From the complex fight scenes to the aerial battles in the Swordfish, there isn't a chance in hell Netflix will pull off Bebop right.

Unpopular opinion: I think the Ghost in the Shell live action film is superb! It had the budget, direction and cast for it to work. Netflix on the other hand... there are some things they're good at, but live action anime adaptations are not one of them. If the Death Note film somehow played a role in the one-shot's creation (for some reason it generated more western interest) I hope the same doesn't happen to Cowboy Bebop. In other words, I hope both Death Note (leaving it at the one-shot and moving on) and Cowboy Bebop stay dead. They had good endings without loose ends. No point in beating a dead horse.

14. 5oul Crusher

I'm neutral when a work I'm a fan of gets adapted. Neutral, but somewhat cynical. I'm not expecting justice or disaster. Nor am I often in contact with any cultural by product that adaptations tend to spawn. Well, except one particular franchise for somewhat obvious reasons...
    I enjoyed the Matrix sequels as a child. As well as the Animatrix. I don't feel that they are intended to be mandatory long-term consumption because the direction was intentionally convoluted. However I did like how they attempted to paint a detailed landscape about something which is essentially unknowable ie. what the future looks like.
    I agree on the Ghost in the Shell film. I thought the dialog was heavy-handed (and by extension the screenplay as well) and I don't ultimately feel it was what people should be taking away from the film. The backgrounds where enjoyably detailed.

15. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Agree that it was decent.

Won't be going into this one with much expectation. The setting will prolly be something like Star Wars.

Netflix should try to adapt anime/manga with less flash/big budget needs and strong plot. Maybe something not fantasy/sci-fi oriented. Something like Monster maybe.

On second thoughts, don't touch Monster. It'll burn your fingers.

16. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Monster needs to be done by HBO.

17. Mantis

Mantis Newbie

Monster is my third favourite anime. I absolutely love it. I've seen it three or four times which is no small number for an anime of that length. Now that you guys mention it, it's probably the only anime I can think of that most definitely would work in the right hands. Unlike most anime (or manga for that matter) it is almost identical to a live action TV show in terms of its narrative, cinematography (I mean things like camera angles) and soundtrack. As a matter of fact, this was going to happen. In the end it fell through. It's too bad.

18. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Monster would be perfect for David Fincher.

Del Toro needs to do a live action Spawn series.

19. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Online newspaper Observer spoke with writer and executive producer Jeff Pinkner before he took a "notes call" on a season 2 script.

Pinkner said that the staff and cast are excited to get back in production as soon as they can. He added that the project's one-hour episode length allows them to "really tell stories set in that world in a way that hopefully will not only delight the fans of anime but expose a whole bunch of new people to the world of Cowboy Bebop, the awesome work of Yoko Kanno."

20. 5oul Crusher

I'm excited, but apprehensive on the adaptation. I'll probably try to watch some before reviews come in so I can form my own opinion of the live action version. Now I think about it, I hope the material is handled well because it has a lot of potential.