Horror Critically acclaimed light novel series Boogiepop and Others gets second anime adaptation this year

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Kerberos, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

So...I did not see this coming...

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...-novel-gets-2018-tv-anime-by-madhouse/.128808

For those who don't know Boogiepop and Others was one of the first light novel series to reach widespread acclaim in Japan and in the early 2000s was turned into an anime by Studio Madhouse. The anime is kind of a hidden gem here in the west and understandably so because it is...imho...the single worst mindfuck ever created. You thought Lain was confusing? You clearly haven't seen Boogiepop Phantom yet. That being said if you like a good mindfuck and have a craving for a dark and challenging mystery anime I highly recommend checking it out because there's honestly nothing like it.

However it is not a straight adaptation of the light novels and more of a sidestory in a way. This upcoming anime however seems to be an actual adaptation of the original light novels.

This is a really big deal...

These are the novels that inspired Baccano, Kino's Journey, The Garden of Sinners etc... Boogiepop is not a thing here in the west but in Japan it's an almost legendary peice of entertainment. In charge of this adaptation is none other than Shingo Natsume, the director of One Punch Man and Acca once again reuniting with studio Madhouse and the music will be composed by Kensuke Ushio who's known for his previous collaborations with Masaaki Yuasa (includign Devilman Crybaby) and the movie A Silent Voice.

PV:

2. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Boogiepop and Others is, to put it generally, the origins/prequel where the anime Phantom is the sequel/aftermath to Others. I'm really happy. A lot of the older titles are making a comeback. It feels like we've ended an old circle and are beginning a new circle where all the decade old popular titles are getting a new start. Maybe they'll not live up to the mark of it's older version or maybe they'll surpass it. But I'm happy nonetheless.

Kerberos likes this.
  3. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Cool. Hopefully it'll have a kickass dub like the original.

4. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

On a side note, Seven Seas Entertainment will be publishing the first six Boogiepop light novels. The novels will be available in print as two omnibus editions, the first of which is slated for October 1, and digitally as single-volume editions. It's interesting to note that the 4th and 5th novel have never been published in English.

Source: Seven Seas Site

5. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

The official website for the anime has revealed that the anime will premiere in January 2019. The new anime will feature a different voice cast from the previous 2000 television anime.

6. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Damn it, I never got around to watching Boogiepop.