Horror Critically acclaimed light novel series Boogiepop and Others gets second anime adaptation this year

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Kerberos, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

So...I did not see this coming...

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...-novel-gets-2018-tv-anime-by-madhouse/.128808

For those who don't know Boogiepop and Others was one of the first light novel series to reach widespread acclaim in Japan and in the early 2000s was turned into an anime by Studio Madhouse. The anime is kind of a hidden gem here in the west and understandably so because it is...imho...the single worst mindfuck ever created. You thought Lain was confusing? You clearly haven't seen Boogiepop Phantom yet. That being said if you like a good mindfuck and have a craving for a dark and challenging mystery anime I highly recommend checking it out because there's honestly nothing like it.

However it is not a straight adaptation of the light novels and more of a sidestory in a way. This upcoming anime however seems to be an actual adaptation of the original light novels.

This is a really big deal...

These are the novels that inspired Baccano, Kino's Journey, The Garden of Sinners etc... Boogiepop is not a thing here in the west but in Japan it's an almost legendary peice of entertainment. In charge of this adaptation is none other than Shingo Natsume, the director of One Punch Man and Acca once again reuniting with studio Madhouse and the music will be composed by Kensuke Ushio who's known for his previous collaborations with Masaaki Yuasa (includign Devilman Crybaby) and the movie A Silent Voice.

PV:

2. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Boogiepop and Others is, to put it generally, the origins/prequel where the anime Phantom is the sequel/aftermath to Others. I'm really happy. A lot of the older titles are making a comeback. It feels like we've ended an old circle and are beginning a new circle where all the decade old popular titles are getting a new start. Maybe they'll not live up to the mark of it's older version or maybe they'll surpass it. But I'm happy nonetheless.

Kerberos likes this.
  3. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Cool. Hopefully it'll have a kickass dub like the original.

4. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

On a side note, Seven Seas Entertainment will be publishing the first six Boogiepop light novels. The novels will be available in print as two omnibus editions, the first of which is slated for October 1, and digitally as single-volume editions. It's interesting to note that the 4th and 5th novel have never been published in English.

Source: Seven Seas Site

5. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

The official website for the anime has revealed that the anime will premiere in January 2019. The new anime will feature a different voice cast from the previous 2000 television anime.

6. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Damn it, I never got around to watching Boogiepop.

7. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

That animation is outrageous.

Wonder if they'll put in Boogie's Wagner whistle as a homage to the first anime.

But all in all I feel this one's not gonna be that LSD experience like the 2000s show. I mean at one point I thought you had to be on drugs to understand the show. It's really hard to pin this show into a single line of idea. There are so many concepts mashed together in a convoluted, non aligned way that it actually works. If done in any other way, Boogiepop would come off as a silly show with no coherent plot. Or at least that's what I feel based on the anime alone. I haven't read the light novels. So I really want the adaptation of Others to tread carefully and build the plot in a complex manner rather than laying it out plainly.

But gotta say though Boogiepop's origins is a tad illogical.

Oh Snape likes this.
  8. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

New visual for the upcoming show was posted.

[​IMG]

9. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

A second promotional video for the anime was streamed revealing it's premiere on January 4. It also previews the opening theme song "shadowgraph" by MYTH & ROID.

10. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

I'm hoping that's actual music from show they're using in teasers. Loving it and the animation a lot.

11. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Here's the tv size of the opening theme

12. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher Newbie

I vaguely recall watching Boogiepop Phantom as a kid at the video rental, for all I know it could be a phantom memory. From what I recall it was extremely bizarre. I didn't get past disk one. I was persistant, but not that persistant. And considering I made it through all the strange art house films there, that says a lot.

I mourn for that store. I went to the restaurant a month back that is in that building and I didn't bring up that the video rental was there. I still feel the sting of regret for missing that banter.

13. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Yeah. Phantom can really test one's patience. If you don't finish it till at-least episode 10 you won't understand half of what's going on.