Death Stranding

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Kakuri, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Kakuri

Kakuri The Disappointment
    Gold Founder

At this year's E3, Hideo Kojima, who I'm sure most people know hasn't had the easiest of careers in recent months, is firmly back on his feet, and has announced a new project. His new company, Kojima Productions, will be creating the game Death Stranding for PS4. There were mentions of a port of this game to PC in the future, but nothing else has been mentioned on the issue of which platforms the game will be available for.

E3 announcement trailer:

Interview with Hideo Kojima at E3:

Apart from very basic information revealed at E3, next to nothing is known about Death Stranding. I'll try my best to update this thread whenever new information is released, but right now all we can do is wait for more news.

What do you think about what we've seen so far? Will you be picking up the game?

Personally, I'll be picking up the game regardless of what it is so long as it'll be ported to PC. I think Kojima is a bold creator worth supporting.

2. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

Basically no information about this game or what it actually looks like. Just, here is a buzz word ( designer name ) and here is the title with a video that probably has nothing to do with the game!

I am going to need to know more about it to have an opinion really. It's basically the most pointless reveal of E3.

3. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I'd add that it's also not a good title. It doesn't roll off the tongue, and it sounds awkward. Hell, just Stranding would've been better.

4. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

I just noticed something lol. I have been reading / calling it as death Standing all this time. Never noticed the R until just now.

Novaire likes this.
  5. Sparkling Forklift

Sparkling Forklift i wish i was clever so i could put something here
    Gold Founder

Personally, I'm really looking forward to this game. I have no idea what it'll really be, but I am quite excited for it. I can already tell it'll probably be pretty unique, and that's already enough for me.

Also, here's an article that summarizes the additional information about the game. Honestly, the tweets cause even more questions to be asked. Some of them are kinda interesting though. I'm really curious as to how death will be implemented into the game, since it's usually done through a simple restart. I'm wondering what Kojima Productions will actually do with the concept.

6. Tetsu

Tetsu Void Walker
    Silver Founder

I'm actually excited for this game because of the mystery mainly. Like all the sea animals beached and the figures in the sky, those werid handcuffs and that baby man.

7. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Source: here

Video

Jump to 41:26 in the video

Edit: Video has no subtitles.

8. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

Yeah, it may have rolled off the tongue easier but would have painted a different image. As death stranding is when multiple sea animals beach themselves at a time, and that image has been used in the trailer, i find the title is just another thing that shrouds this game in mystery.

While I am excited for this game, and like the mysterious thing they're going for, but I'm wondering whether they are raising people's expectations too high to live up to?

9. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding Trailer Reveals Mads Mikkelsen as Cast Member

Game developer Hideo Kojima unveiled a new trailer for his upcoming Death Stranding game during the Game Awards event in Los Angeles on Thursday. The trailer reveals that Mads Mikkelsen has joined the game's cast, and a character featuring his likeness appears in the trailer. A character based on the appearance of film director Guillermo del Toro also appears in the video.

10. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

That new trailer certainly is a jumbled mess of imagery and visual shorthand. Is it possible that Kojima's writing has become even more unhinged and nonsensical?

11. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

There's a running theme, if you played the MGS series you'll notice the obscene amount of similarities to his artistic direction in those games.

Guy with a bunch of cords coming out of him, check. Testube children, check. Skulls and/or figures of death, check and double check. Military man with with nighvision gear flip-up reveal: check-a-doodle-doo. Supernatural nonsense: check-a-roony. Crabs, I mean just look at those giant claws I bet they could rip a tank apart. Every frame intentionally giving false and opposing perceptions of era: checked. Nasty bio-mechanical beasts: check. Characters looking up at the sky with their eyes closed in pleasure: check-check-check.

My opinion is that he should have stopped with MGS3 to move on to other projects to develop his art more, he allowed himself to stagnate but he happens to be a large fish in a tiny pond and all the little fish praise him not knowing there's an ocean beyond them. He kept saying "this" would be his last game in the metal gear series but he just kept making more. Each game taking longer, each game being less complete, hell he couldn't even finish Metal Gear Rising which the actual gameplay had to be separated from him because it was never going to happen otherwise.

Kojima's at the point where he's not good enough to get away with making films because of the people he'd be compared to, but he could make it in the gaming industry because noone really was doing what he was doing. As the industry gets bigger though Kojima is coming more and more off like a hack. That's despite all the love I had for the Metal Gear series, noone can really deny he wrote some pretty bad characters, circlejerkingly convoluted plots, all of the trip ups between games with retcons, and too much time taking control away from the player to beat them in the face with his imagery.

Kojima's definitely brought some amazing things to the video game industry, birthing a genre because of hardware limitations, flirting with the idea of "how can every object interact with every other object" detail orientated design, and promoting narrative experiences in video games. I think him doing something not Metal Gear will ultimately be really good for him as a creator, but I think we're going to see lots of similarities with his previous works because that's all he knows. Much of that is obnoxious art to bash the players face in.

12. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Guillermo del Toro Discusses Role in Kojima's Death Stranding Game

Director Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy, Mimic, Blade II, Pacific Rim) talked about his role in Hideo Kojima's upcoming Death Stranding game during a phone interview with game website IGN on Monday. In the interview, del Toro said that he is not creatively involved in the game, but that Kojima had contacted him to ask him to be a character in the game. He noted that the motion and facial capture scanning for his character's model took seven hours.

"I’m involved as a character. Kojima-san called me and said, 'I want you to be a character in the game,' and I said, 'Gladly.' He’s discussed his ideas so I could understand the character, but other than that I’m not involved, creatively, at all."

"This is entirely Kojima-san’s game. I think it’s gonna be a fantastic game, 100%. But this is him and his ideas. I’m just a puppet in his hands. My contribution is limited to being a cheerleader for his ideas and being scanned for long hours at a time. That’s about it."

Source/Further read
    : here

13. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Kojima Productions unveiled a new trailer for Death Stranding during The Game Awards 2017 event.

14. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

This new trailer seriously looks out of this world.

15. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

This is some weird shit right here. What was he smoking?

16. Enies

Enies Famous Member

i still have no idea what this game is about lol

17. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

It looks...very Japanese...

Not that that's a bad thing...in any way shape or form. But I do fear that this is the kind of game that's going to be eaten up by people who love shows like SE: Lain and Ergo Proxy and ignored by literally everyone else because it's "too weird". Here's hoping Kojima didn't spend too much on it because I don't think this will be a mainstream success. I could be wrong though. From what I understand Nier - Automata is kind of a similar thing in that it's a very Japanese game with the kind of tone and themes you usually don't find outside of anime and that managed to break through into the mainstream.

In any case I'm hoping this won't be released before I get my PS4 because I'm definitely looking forward to playing this.

Also, as a side note, that final bit with Kojima and Reedus was extremely awkward. Let's not to that again.

Matemar likes this.
  18. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Reedus: I'd do anything for this guy

Kojima: OOOOOOOOOOH YEEEAAAAAHH

19. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Death Stranding - Road to E3 2018

20. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of story Kojima can come up with when starting from scratch, and being unshackled by years of Metal Gear stories and rules. That said, I'm also worried that the lack of that same grounding is going to result in something really fucking weird -- maybe too weird, even by Kojima standards.

I'm excited, either way, to experience it for myself. Probably won't have any idea what the actual gameplay is like for a long time yet, but I'm betting the gameplay will mostly be an afterthought, anyway.

Really happy to hear that Mads Mikkelsen was recruited for the game. Finally watched Hannibal a few months back, and loved it. Mikkelsen has become one of my favorite actors.

I've hated Norman Reedus for years now, as he's long overstayed his welcome on The Walking Dead (should have been killed off and been replaced by Dwight), and he doesn't even come off as the tough survivalist redneck he used to, as he just looks like a bloated lesbian nowadays.