Detective Pikachu

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by CataraxCorey, Dec 16, 2018.

1. CataraxCorey

CataraxCorey Mediocre Pokemon trainer

I don't know if it's been discussed here or not yet, but this is something that I'm seriously excited for. I don't know if it is my childhood nostalgia clouding my judgement for it or not, but I'm pretty giddy. The only thing that is getting to me is the look of the Pokemon, not that they look terrible, but thst they look "off". They seem to be going into an uncanny valley realm, where the designers tried to make them almost too realistic but they couldn't quite get it. But I'd like to get everyone else's opinion on it to see what they think.

2. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Before the trailer came out I had approximately zero interest in seeing it, so I watched the trailer, which I wouldn't have done if it was a film I had even a vague desire to watch it, and it looks like an awesome flick. Based on the trailer alone, it seems like it'll be a helluva lot of fun, so I'll have to get out to see it for sure. I don't have much of a problem with how the Pokemon look - they wanted a halfway point between cartoonish and realism, and I think they've done decently well at that. It ain't perfect, but it looks better than what I would've assumed a live-action Pokemon film would look like.

It's also given me a vested interest in the 3DS game as well, but I think I'll wait until after the film is out to check it out, even if they aren't especially related.

3. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

I had the same sentiment as Novaire, in that I had no interest in the trailer before it came out - or rather, before I learned that we're finally getting a live action Pokemon movie. Ironically, despite the Japanese being its original creator, America is once again ahead of it, since the Japanese version of "Detective Pikachu" was a computer-animated movie.

I'm less interested in the plot and its comedy though. Ryan Reynolds sounds nothing like a detective, let alone a mellow one like the original character. It's as if Hollywood just felt the DS game (and particularly its Japanese-adapted movie) had a nice gimmick so they just hire one of the popular celebrities existing right now and throw in randomly. I would have gotten someone who sounds like Harrison Ford, or at least '90s Harrison Ford (he's too old now). Maybe Liam Neeson.

Anyway, back to the real appeal of this film, the live action. This opens the door to lots of opportunities for Pokemon films in the future. I can't wait for a live action Pokemon League, or a live action Ash Ketchum - or even better, Red himself from the games - collecting badges across Kanto.

4. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I actually just watched the trailer. I had no interest in seeing it, but it does look like it might be good. I do agree about the voice. It's not the acting, the voice is just wrong for some reason. I think it required someone with more of a character voice.

5. CataraxCorey

They probably could have went with someone else as far as voice acting for Pikachu, because now I can only think of Deadpool while hearing Ryan Reynolds' voice haha. But still plan on seeing it and kicking every child out of the way while I walk up to the the theater.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  6. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

News website "The Hollywood Reporter" reported that Legendary Entertainment has started work on a sequel for the upcoming Pokémon: Detective Pikachu film. The site reports that Legendary has brought on Oren Uziel (upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog film, The Clover Paradox, 22 Jump Street) to pen the sequel's script.

7. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Pokemon Neo Noir defo piqued my interest. Plus I really dug Ted and the Paddington movies.

8. Vaulient

Vaulient Newbie

I honestly felt to myself when I first heard about it through a friend when she said, "You know there's a movie called Detective Pikachu and Ryan Reynolds is the voice behind pikachu, right?" that it was going to be the most, stupidest and silliest movie to ever be done. Boy did my views change when I saw the trailer and guessing from the other comments on here - I'm not the only one. It might just turn out to be a fun to watch movie after all. Who knows? I judged a book too early, so I'm not gonna judge what the movie would be like surely by just watching the trailer. So would I spend money to buy a ticket to watch the movie in the theaters? Yeah.

CataraxCorey likes this.
  9. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

The official Twitter account for Legendary Entertainment streamed a new short teaser for the film.

Twitter video: here

10. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

I still barely played the game and I bought it when it came out. I am pretty sure it will be good, but not great. Expecting it to just be a B kids comedy at best tbh, but if it does well enough, maybe it will open the doors to a decent action flick.

11. Aeon

Aeon Senior Member

Pikachu sounds like "Ted". This all feels wrong somehow. When did the cute Pikachu turn into an angry middle aged man? I know I'm not keeping track of Pokemon and the like. I was already too old when it came out so I've only seen a few episodes.

12. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

New trailer is out. Man, Pokemon's looking interesting again.

#12 Kuze, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  13. CataraxCorey

My hype for this movie definitely boosted more than it already had been after watching this second trailer

14. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Mr. Mime obvious best character, hands down.

15. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

More trailers: