Horror Devilman Crybaby

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Kuze, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

[​IMG]

Lowdown
    :

New Devilman project marking Go Nagai's 50th anniversary as a creator.

The protagonist Akira Fudou learns from his best friend, Ryou Asuka, that an ancient race of demons has returned to take back the world from humans. Ryou tells Akira that the only way to defeat the demons is to incorporate their supernatural powers, and suggests that he unite with a demon himself. Akira succeeds in transforming into Devilman, who possesses both the powers of a demon and the soul of a human. The battle of Devilman and Akira Fudou begins.

(Source: Netflix)

Trailers
    :

Air Date: Jan 5, 2018

Official Site: here

Twitter: here

Catch the iconic Devilman tomorrow on Netflix.

2. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

All 10 episodes of Crybaby has dropped on Netflix. I think I'll binge it this weekend.

3. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Watched the first three eps tonight.

With its own remake having been announced recently, part of me kind of thinks Yuasa's trademark visual style might lend itself better to Cutie Honey, but I'm just being picky - this is very, very good so far. I particularly like the synthy score, it really plays up the trashy '80s video nasty vibe.

4. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Oh my god, that opening theme. Banger, disco banger!!

5. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

Seen the first two episodes, this shits pretty fucking awesome.

6. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Just finished this series.

For the most part is was a really solid show that combined a unique visual aestethic with very interesting thematic ideas, some of the most spectacular action sequences in anime and (for the most part) compelling characters. Not to mention a kick ass soundtrack

That being said the final twist made absolutely no sense and did siginificantly hurt the show's climax. Though the actual ending was pretty good and tied things off nicely on both a narative and thematic level. So that certainly made up for a lot

Overall I'm willing to bet on this being the best anime of winter 2018.

7. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou The Most Painful Karamatsu Boy
    Editor Contributor

One episode down. Loving the punk vibe this gives off and the technicals are on some other level. The show knows it's schlocky af and you gotta love the pair it's got on it to not give a single shit. Looking forward to get through the rest of the series.

That random freestyle was dope too.

8. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Gonna get round to watching the first half tonight.

9. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Mother of God, where do I even begin. Just ended on episode five and this is as trashy as it can get. Sex, drugs, wannabe rappers, high-school sprint team, raves, demons and Akira&Ryo. For an average narrative they've surprised me with the music. It's absolutely psychedelic as is the animation. Roping in some of that Ping Pong the Animation glitz.

I'll finish it by tomorrow. I was aware that the plot was nothing to get excited about, but I guess the execution makes for a quick engaging watch. Hope the 2nd half holds some twist and a somewhat improvement on the plot. Other than that it's just an exercise in gore and flash for now.

I'll just dab to this in the meantime.

10. Tonto-banchou

Editor Contributor

The freestyle hip-hop here is too dope.

11. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Just finished it and..I can't really say it was shit or decent. Something in between rather. The ost and animation style was a real positive but the story really lacked balance.

12. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I do think there is some compelling thematic material in the series. I think at its core the show revolves around the question of whether humanity is either good or evil. (and yes I know that's what Inuyashiki revolved around as well but that's just coincedence since the manga are about 30 years apart) Ryo is making a case for that when pushed into a corner humanity will turn on eachother while Akira strongly believes that in the end humanity is good and when given the chance will do what is right. Which of the two is correct in their ideas the show leaves for the viewer to decide which I rather appreciated.

I did feel the reveal of Ryo being literally Satan was dumb and took away from the more compelling thematic ideas though I feel the ending in a large part makes up for it. Ryo believes he has accomplished his goal and only he and Akira remain. Yet then his dream is shattered when he finds Akira has died. He's won but it's a very bittersweet victory and in the end he, the personification of evil, is left a sobbing mess thus calling into question whether such a thing as good or evil even exists.

Now as for the show as a whole here's my somewhat more in depth take on it.

As far as I see it Devilman Crybaby is a masterclass in visual storytelling as the shows conveys most of its ideas through its incredible visuals rather than spoken dialogue. I'm not the biggest fan of Massaki Yuasa. While I do like most of his shows I don't like them as much as others seem to and I certainly don't see much artistic merit to them past the surface level. With devilman Crybaby though I feel he's taken a story that could just as easily be a trashy sci fi narrative and turned into a work of art. From the unique and innovative monster design to the very tasteful depiction of graphic violence to the brillaint use of colour Massaki Yuasa has created a work of body horror that instantly grabs you by the throat and never lets go. From the first frame to the last I felt on edge and uncertain of what was going to happen next.

Devilman Crybaby is also a celebration of creative freedom. Not just because of it's visual eastehtic but also simply by what is depicted. While I'm not always a fan of graphic violence I do feel its use in Devilman Crybaby is absolutely warranted. Devilman Crybaby is absolutely counter culture punk in the same vein as many 80s OVA series. But it's doing it in a way that makes you think, that makes you analyze the bloodshed that is depicted on screen and allows you to form an opinion on it. Through its sparse use of dialogue and very well chosen imagery it depicts Devilman Crybaby makes a statement but it's a statement that the viewer is allowed to ponder on his or her own. That's what makes the show so brilliant.

And yes the music is also quite good and definitely fits very well with the tone and feelign of the show itself.

Anyway that's my take on the show. Feel free to disagree.

13. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

@Kerberos

My issue with the show is it tried to tackle way too many cultural ideas in one go but couldn't gel them well enough. Thus it came off as a haphazard gory rampage plastic show at times; which I pretty much expected the show could turn out to be anyway. So in a sense, I wasn't disappointed. But they could have lowered the sex&gore and could have given the characters more depth.

14. Tonto-banchou

Editor Contributor

This show. It's good. Not the best, but it's so, so good. Yes. This show. I like it very much.

15. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

This is satire right? Good.

The original was unashamedly ultraviolent and misogynistic but this new one seems almost embarrassed by it and has this whole 'hey but good guy no? look at him feel bad about....stuff and getting boners' schtick going on. It just makes things awkward and creepier. More anime'ey basically.

Luckily, I am a degenerate and loving it 2 episodes in. Nice animation style and moosic.The plot is super shit tho.

16. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

I kind of loved everything about this.

17. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

If you like this show I strongly recommend Ajin - Demi Human. It's somewhat similar to this show albeit less focused on style and more on story and characters. Also it's a hell of a lot more fast paced. Like holy shit that show was fast paced and action packed! Fantastic soundtrack too curtousy of the ever brilliant Yugo Kanno

If you want to know more, you can check out my review for the show here:
    https://www.sakugacity.com/ams/anime-review-ajin-demi-human.19/

18. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Whoa someones hacked KT's account.

SHUT

DOWN

EVERYTHING

KT Samurai and Kuze like this.
  19. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Finished it last night, very very impressed. I felt there were a couple of missteps and the loose visual style will certainly not please everyone, but it's a remarkable achievement for all involved that they managed to condense and update a rambly, forty year old property into something so fresh, complete and coherent.

Kerberos likes this.