Disenchantment (Groening Netflix Original)

Discussion in 'Western Animation' started by kura, Aug 21, 2018.

1. kura

kura lay back and think of England

[​IMG]

I'm surprised there hasn't been any discussion on this? If there has been you can merge this puppy. Anyone seen this?

I think I've seen most of it at this point and I am actually really enjoying it. I'm not sold on the protagonist Bean just yet but Eric Andre's character and Matt Berry's appearance have made watching what I have watched thoroughly enjoyable. It's a lot darker than the usual Groening fare and I really welcome that. I agree with the editor who wrote a review in The Guardian who argued that this first season was a crèche for character development and feeling out the new world and universe. Looking forward to finishing this off!!

2. kura

Surprised by the lack of interest

3. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

I'm far too pumped for new Bojack Horseman, Rik And Morty and the finale to Adventure Time to start this. Also, just binged the last season of The Simpsons. Also good shit.

I'll prolly check this before new South Park tho lol.

4. kura

Rick and Morty is gonna be a while tho, no?

Sharing your excitement for new Bojack and also the 2 season topup of Castlevania skrrrt.

I would check this soon tho. Decided I actually REALLY like it.

5. Kaynil

Kaynil Senior Member

I watched it a while ago. It was a fun ride.

6. wikkid

wikkid Newbie

I've dipped my toes in it a little as a fan of Futurama. There are bits I enjoyed and some jokes which really fell flat on me. Bean's two companions are ultimately more satisfying to watch than she is, and I feel like that's not a good trait to have for a programme which aims to build a story around this central character.

Part of it could also just have to do with my own boundaries of what I find entertaining and what I do not. One of the biggest turn offs for me has been Bean's unapologetic alcoholism. Perhaps due to personal experience with the subject, I cannot bring myself to find even a squeak of enjoyment out of that quirk, and the programme doesn't seem to offer any redemption for her in terms of recovery. I'm left uncertain whether it was supposed to be something funny or a casually depressing flaw in her character that's intended to make her more relatable to an average adult. Either way, it sucks a great deal of empathy from what's meant to be the main protagonist of this story.

I only made it through a handful of episodes.