Do you binge read manga?

Discussion in 'Manga' started by Kaynil, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Kaynil

Kaynil Senior Member

I am just curious to know what is your style reading manga.
    Do you tend to take it slowly or do you tend to binge all the volumes you have near you?

I am mostly the latter, if I start I usually keep going until I finish it within the same day.
    Of course, it depends on my work schedule but truth be told, sometimes I sacrifice some sleep if I am really hooked, hahaha.

What about you?

2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

I usually tend to go slow with the manga, mostly because of work schedule and the fact that I tend to think about the chapter/arc a bit after having finished reading it. Rarely do I rush through unless the plot-progression is of that nature, where it makes you turning page after page. The type of manga I read usually has a lot going on in each chapter so I need time to understand where each piece of the puzzle fits or understand the motive of the character or the possible outcomes of a certain event.

But yeah, it did happen once when I basically finished 2/3rds of a certain manga on the binge-read. The manga in question was so perplexing and so out of the blue that I decided the best course of action was to just keep on reading.

3. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

Depends on how much you consider binge reading, because I read like 5 or so chapters, but that's a full manga volume. I never felt the need to read 20+ chapters in one day.

4. Matemar

Matemar Corvus

I read everything. At. Once.

I always regret it though. I end up reading everything, and then find myself wanting more, and waiting for the next chapter.

4xdblack likes this.
  5. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I binge read alot. Mainly because I take public transportation and it kills time on my commute to and from work. Only bad thing about that is that I run out of stuff to read and have to wait on new chapter releases.

6. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

I binge everything.. Anime, food, manga...

I'm currently in the process of binge reading Veritas. But idk if I like where it's going.

7. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

It really depends on the manga. Recently I read vols 1 - 4 of Gundam - The Origin and I read that like there was no tomorrow. I don't think I binge-read it in the traditional sense simply because my lifestyle does not allow for that (see anime per year thread) but I definitely spend every moment of free time I could find reading it. The world, story and characters just had me hooked and the art was so well drawn it felt like the action scenes were bursting from the page.

However I've also definitely read manga I could easily put down after a single chapter. Not because they were bad but because they were just not made for binge reading. I think the best example would be Mushishi. I never read more than one chapter a day of Mushishi. In fact often i would not read more than one chapter a week. Simply because each chapter of Mushishi is so filled to the brim with rich characterisation, unique concepts and deeper insights into the human condition that it was enough to satiate me for an entire week. I'd just read a chapter and let that sink in and then after I felt like I had a firm handle on what it all meant I'd pick up the next chapter. That's how good Mushishi is (imo) but that's also what makes it quite possibly the worst manga to binge-read.

8. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Prepare to be severely disappointed. I'm pretty sure @Interest1ng will vouch for me on that note.

9. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

It's hard to be disappointed when the series was already shit. I finished it last night btw. I had high expectations since it was recommended to me by fans of The Breaker, but the main difference is that in The Breaker, the MC actually exists. But if you have a better suggestion for me, I'd love to hear it in PM.

10. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

I can concur with that statement. To be honest Veritas left you with the feeling that the entire series was just Rushed, and for no good reason to be honest. The Breaker is one of my all time Fav. Manwha's. If you have not already read it then you can check out Sun-Ken Rock which is done by Boichi who is currently doing a collaboration Manga called Dr. Stone.

My take on manga/manwha is you can't compare it to another series. Otherwise your just asking yourself to be let down.

11. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

Talk about the mother of all disappointing and shitty endings.. 170 chapters of pure heaven, followed by the worst ending ever conceived because the author lacked the integrity of a true writer.

12. JennyorAlice

JennyorAlice Senior Member

I prefer to read very slowly and it's not because I am a slow reader. I normally don't binge read because I want it to last for as long as possible. If I'm binge reading, it's because I'm so wrapped up in it that I forget just how much of it I've actually. read.

13. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher sinew and steel

Short answer: I always binge manga.

Long answer: I binge manga when I find find something completely engrossing, which manga tends to be. However I haven't been able to find anything that has really been able to really hold my attention for a while. I remember finding a little known series called Shinjiki no Kyojin particularly engrossing back when that first got translated to English (the art was so gritty and all the perspective was off). And One's work (Mob and One Punch Man) too. I guess I read One Piece as well, but I trailed off just before the Dressrosa finale (haha ik, but it dragged on). I finished all the major Jump titles when they concluded, but never embarked on the fabled rereads of any of them. After that I was mostly keeping up with serialisations even then I dropped most of them eventually. It's been a while. I also don't own enough Bakuman to do a full reread on whim. My public library has a pretty limited manga collection (Nichijou anyone?) They do have Akira. Maybe that will be the next major (re)read? On second examination, I definitely have found manga that I've binged, but not recently recently.

14. Crimson

Crimson New Member

Nah, I rarely binge unless I'm feeling it.

I like to really absorb and get into what I read (or watch). And so I'm more than happy with just letting a book sit for awhile until it sounds really good again. Then I'll read until I feel I'm at a good stopping point. Generally 2-3 chapters.