Do you have recurring dreams?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yoda313, Nov 15, 2018.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I seem to remember having some kind of lava recurring dreams when i was really young. It stuck for awhile too. I haven't had it in a long time though.

What i have had in the last few years it seems is a variation on breaking teeth. Either having them fall out or crack in some way.

The odd thing is i dont seem to remember having nightmare feelings with lava. But the teeth deal has more of a jolt. I dont think its like im in fights in the dreams. Its more like something happens and my teeth go bad and i have occasional fear from it. The othrr odd thing is it doesnt happen very often. I guess thats why it stands out.

So do you have recurring dreams?

2. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

I have a really strange one that pops up every now and then. I imagine waking up one morning when I’m still in college ( we’re talking 40 years later and I still have it). It’s well into the semester and I’m checking my schedule when I realize I’ve been attending four classes but actually signed up for five. It’s too late to drop the course and now I’m in a panic trying to find out where and when the class is held so I can find out how far behind I am. Usually end up waking up around this time and never get much further.

3. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

The last one I remember is one where I am totally alone in what looks like a picturesque Italian village town type setting. You know, narrow streets only vespas can navigate at speed, everything is paved in stone and ancient brick, there's a fountain, nude statues that look old but are prolly just tourist traps and nobody wakes up before 2pm. Even the local stray cats and dogs have decided to siesta.

Anyway, it ends with me wondering around and then trying to break into a car. The alarm sounds surprisingly like my actual alarm clock. Fuck you 5.45am.

4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@ Griffmeister - weird take on the didn't study for a test dream.

@ oh snape - wow a mix between Italian job and john wick 2.

5. Randoms

Randoms Ridiculously Awesome Randomness
    Silver Founder Plus

Every now and then if I dream I am driving I usually have little control of the car. Most noticeably that I can not stop the car. Either I can barely each the brake or the car simply doesn’t stop. I can get the car to slow down, but it will never stop. My favorite version of this has me hitting a car from behind so I exchange info with Morgan Freeman.

6. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Not being able to open up my eyes or see clearly .Feels like if I were to open them I'd come out of my dream

7. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Wow thats really interesting. Is it always Freeman or does it vary?

@ enies - ooh rough. It seems like a variation on my teeth cracking dreams.

8. Randoms

Randoms Ridiculously Awesome Randomness
    Silver Founder Plus

No, it’s usually trying to stop the car in general. This one time I happened to hit Morgan Freeman’s car.

9. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

I have a hard time remembering exactly what happens in dreams, but my recurring dreams typically revolve around staircases and unfamiliar houses, always at night. For a while when I was younger I had a lot of staircase dreams, always about some staircase up to an open doorway that I never went through.

I dream more about unfamiliar houses or places than staircases as an adult, though. I'm not sure what my brain gets from dreaming up unfamiliar places. They're never scary, they always feel unfamiliar in the same way waking up in a new house or at a friend's place feels.

10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Randoms - cool :)

@ALToxicity - interesting. Have you ever looked up the "psychological" interpretation of the staircase metaphor?

11. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Mine always center around cars, it's really weird.

One I used to have when I was a kid was rolling down a hill in the car. There is this town in Ireland called Kells, a lot of people will have heard of it because of the Book of Kells. Anyway, my Dad used to travel there regularly for farming supplies when I was a kid. Part of the town is built on this really steep hill and the place he needed to get his supplies was right near the top of that hill. The car would feel like it was parked at an angle. lol. This always led to me having nightmares of the car rolling down the hill with me inside it and me climbing into the front to try and stop it.

One I have as an adult is a little more frightening. I keep dreaming of the car being submerged in water and we're all probably going to die. I seem to somewhat resign myself to that fact and at that point, I just wake up. It's so scary. :(

This is sleep paralysis and happens sometimes when you wake suddenly from a dream. You're awake, but your body isn't responding yet. When we dream our body paralyses to prevent us from sleep walking and getting hurt. In people who sleep walk, this doesn't function properly. This same thing happens to me sometimes. I literally can't open my eyes, speak or move. It's pretty unpleasant.

12. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@ shannon - thats interesting that your car theme stayed with you. i dont know about anyone else hrre but i generally dont remember dreams or at least not vivid and not for long. So in a sense recurring dreams at least let you remember some. Unless they get debilitating then its rough.

13. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Sometimes I have dreams that require me to run. Not like a nightmare, where you need to run or you get killed. More like, you're in a race or something. Long story short, eventually I get stuck and can't run no matter how much I try, until I eventually get released, only now I'm lagging behind.

Something like that happens every now and then, not exactly commonly, but it is something I noticed.

yoda313 likes this.
  14. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

I don’t remember having recurring dreams. However, I do on a rare occasion wake up with this overwhelming feeling that something bad has happened and am disoriented for about a minute. When I wake up my chest is tight and I always have a feleing like I missed something important. Like I am late for work; I despise being late for work I get stressed out and it throws me off for a couple of hours if I am not on time I hate that.

It is a very uncomfortable feeling to wake up with. It isn’t associated with stress/ disruption or anything new in my life when I wake up like that, but it has been happening probably as early as middle school. I hate waking up like that.

15. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@ narika - interesting. It would seem you are having nightmares you dont remember. I guess it would be best to know the dream. Perhaps though you're getting shielded from it subconsciously?

16. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Believe In Death

I don't seem to dream anymore. I cannot recall any dreams over the last several years that I have ever had. Perhaps my mind just no longer dwells upon them so they vanish soon after I awake. So no, I do not have recurring dreams that I am aware of.

17. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Do you wake up a lot or do you have longer sessions? I tend to wake up a few times during the night. I do remember impressions and at times a lot more.

Like last night I had somethibg about some scandal where a guy was talking to someone else about knowing all their secrets and the other guy was like got to to take down all their networks.

If I either have a short session before I wake up I won't remember anything or if I have a longer session I don't seem to remember those.

18. Mr. Mister

I wake up perhaps once or twice a night. Even then, I don't recall any impressions of dreams that I may have been having before I woke up. It could be my dreams are so minor that my brain doesn't really register them and therefore cannot recall them.

19. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I guess journaling them when you wake up wont do any good.

you could look at the bright side - you arent suffering from nightmares.

20. Mr. Mister

I suppose that much is true. When I sleep, it's just like my brain turned off, just nothing. But at least I'm not seeing horrifying things, I will agree on that.

yoda313 likes this.