Do you like Post Rock?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Shadow Fox, May 23, 2016.

1. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

It is a relatively new Genre of music I discovered recently. I want to know if anyone here knows and listens to the stuff and hopefully introduce those who do not to the genre. What makes post rock different, for those of you who do not know, is that it uses guitars as facilitators of timbre that is not normally found in the rock genre. Most post rock is Instrumental and in layman's terms, It is atmospheric or ambient but its is still too "rock" to be found exclusively in that part of your record store! That is if your record store has any of the stuff. I listed off like 5 post rock bands and the big chain store I went to had not a single one of them in their lists anywhere.

So far, my favorites include Collapse under the Empire

The Exxasens

and Pg.lost

If you chose to listen to those songs, let everyone know what you think of the stuff! I love sharing new music I like to other people who also enjoy it and discover it for the first time as well.

2. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

I like to listen to most anything and any extension to the rock/metal/dubstep genres. However, I don't normally go searching for a lot of new artists, I tend to just listen to the same artists over and over until I get sick of them and find someone else to listen to.

But I have listened to some post-rock, and have to say I kinda enjoy it. I imagine a lot of the songs I write would end up in that kind of category.

Though some of my personal favorite post-rock albums are done by Mogwai:

Shadow Fox likes this.
  3. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

Okay so out of those 3 that you posted.. I really liked the last one.. So I decided to look up one of their albums and listen to it.. And gotta say, I'm definitely a fan.

4. Shadow Fox

Gold Founder

I really liked the one you shared as well. Listened to almost the entire thing.

4xdblack likes this.
  5. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Post Rock is always good stuff. Nice definition Shadow, I personally like how it slowly adds layers and soundscapes after each...cycle? Dropbeat? Pause? Drummer going matrix mode? Whatever.

Here's my all time fave Post Rock Tune.

Dat key change.

Shadow Fox likes this.
  6. B_Raiden_

B_Raiden_ Your local neighbourhood fedora flipping weeaboo

Not really a fan but that first one that Shadow Fox i quite enjoyed ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

7. 4xdblack

Silver Founder Plus

the term you're looking for is "Measure", I believe.

8. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Haven't delved much into post rock except for Mogwai and Sigur Ros.

9. Alca

Alca Composer
    Bronze Founder

Not sure if anyone's heard of The American Dollar, but they're one of my favourite post rock bands. Here's a couple of tracks:

Also I believe God is an Astronaut is a fairly well known post-rock group. All is Violent All is Bright is my favourite:

Shadow Fox likes this.
  10. Shadow Fox

Gold Founder

God is an astronaut is also a really good one to listen to.

Other bands I know of that have some good songs are

If these Trees could talk.

Explosions in the Sky

I don't know a whole lot of bands as I am still discovering them slowly one by one. But the explosions in the sky song there that I found just yesterday is really relaxing to listen to.

11. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

Explosions in the Sky was the first post rock band I encountered and I've formed a real attachment to them. Their song "The Birth And Death of the Day" still gives me chills and evokes a lot of imagery in my mind every time I listen to it.

I can listen to just about anything in this genre and be content. I dunno if it's my rickety old age or my temperament in general but I'm just always in the mood for it. I live inside my head a lot, too, so that might have something to do with it. This is one of those genres where I can absently search it by name in YouTube, click on just about anything I find on the first page, and be quite happy with what I find (those 50+ minute collections are particularly nice).

12. your girl shes a renegade

I'm going to bring this back, because post-rock is one of my favourite genres, and I didn't want to miss the party. Most of the heavy hitters have already been mentioned, so I'll see if I can add a few names that any newcomers to the genre might not be aware of. By the way, high five to whoever mentioned The American Dollar. They're one of my absolute favourites, and I never meet other fans. Ugh, War on Christmas still does things to me.

Caspian is a must for me.

Same goes for This Will Destroy You. This song is a slow burner, but give it a few minutes, it's worth it.

Do Make Say Think are definitely worth checking out.

The Album Leaf

And you can't have a thread about post-rock without Godspeed You! Black Emperor, right? If you don't know them, please do yourself a favour and listen to this in it's entirety.

It's such a throwback to see some of these usernames by the way. Long time no see.

Kuze likes this.
  13. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

Post-Rock is pretty cool, some of my favorites are Slint and This Will Destroy You:

14. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I went through Wikipedia's entries for post-rock bands, and I hadn't heard of any of them. Deftones sounded vaguely familiar, but I can't tell you anything about them. I listened to a couple of their songs and really wasn't a fan. I don't know if the sort of 'absentee' tone of the vocals is a facet of the genre, or if I just stumbled into a few where that is present, but if it is, I think it's safe to say that post-rock is not for me.

15. Grungie

Contributor

Deftones are more Nu-Metal for their older stuff, and Alternative Metal in their later stuff. They just have elements of Post-Rock in their later stuff like this song:

16. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Not sure if this counts but I've recently been enjoying lindsay stirlings stuff

17. GameCube

GameCube Newbie

Would post-rock be sort of like art-rock? Art-rock would be stuff like Phil Collins, Bjork. ELO, and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. Of course, that was interesting stuff, but sometimes, it leads to a backlash. That was how punk was born. The whole idea behind that music was the simplicity and raw aggression.

18. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

Started looking into post rock after I heard this song.

The song was part of a music video about the siege of Grozny. I won't link the the video because it contains graphic war footage. The thing I remember most is toward the end of the song there is a build up and the video shows cuts between how things were before, and people partying, and then when the heavy part comes where all of the instruments are on the same beat it's a montage of lynched corpses, burned bodies, destroyed vehicles, bombed out buildings, executions and really horrifying scenery from the the second Chechen war.

That video could have made for a great anti-war piece, I hope that was the intention.

But yeah, post-rock.

Oh Snape and Kuze like this.
  19. Grungie

Contributor

My understanding was that Punk was a backlash to Prog-Rock, as that was gaining popularity in the 70's. The simplistic song structure that Punk initially adhered to was created as a stark contrast to Prog's tropes of having 10+ min songs, and having a focus on the technical prowess of the musicians. In regards to Post-Rock getting a retaliation genre, it doesn't seem that popular in the mainstream media to really garner a retaliation, like Prog in the 70's, or how Grunge was basically anti Hair Metal in the 80's.

Anywho, This thread needs some Mogwai:

Enies likes this.
  20. GameCube

GameCube Newbie

Just wait around until people get sick of it. For instance, note, concerning hair styles, 70s hairdos came back around 2008 - 2010. I never though I'd see Afros again, lol. However, now is another backlash - no more long hair, instead beards and onion shaped cuts. :sneaky: