E3 - Your Games of Show

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Shi, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

Dragon Ball Fighter Z

Anthem

Monster Hunter World

--

These are the games that got me really excited. Dragon Ball Fighter Z took me by surprise, but I was also really happy that Capcom finally did the fans of Monster Hunter right by releasing a AAA version of the game.

KT Samurai likes this.
  2. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

More zombie games then

3. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I have been talking about this a lot but I am super excited for the new Metroid. @Shi already beat me to Monster Hunter World although I am still kinda iffy about the open world and grappling hook shit I been seeing. I like how it looks though and the fact that I can play it on Xbone so really looking forward to that.

4. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Dragon Ball Fighter Z (Xbox One, PS4, PC)

Generally speaking, I despise ArcSys' business practices, with regard to releasing titles multiple times over at retail without offering a cheaper digital upgrade ala the method with which Street Fighter IV operated after Super came out. I'm also not a big fan of any of their fighters thus far, though I've purchased my fair share over the years. With all of that aside, this just looks great. Graphically, it's pretty much unparalleled as style goes. The gameplay resembles a cross between Guilty Gear and Marvel Vs Capcom. It doesn't hurt that my interest in the new Marvel entry is waning more than ever. I'm glad Cell is already confirmed, as he's my favorite Dragon Ball character by a long shot.

Anthem (Xbox One, PS4, PC)

Anthem isn't a game that we know that much about in the grand scheme of things, but the basis is pretty simple; imagine that a competent studio was in charge of Destiny. It's not a 1-for-1 comparison with one being third person, but it looks like a far superior product already. It just looks great.

Ashen (Xbox One, PC)

Ashen is an action-adventure game with a simplified cell-shaded aesthetic. I believe this is the third year in a row that we've seen it at E3, and it's looking better than ever. The game is gorgeous, dripping with a dark atmosphere. It is, apparently, an open-world survival game set in a fantasy world. I really don't know that much about it, but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Spider-Man (PS4)

To put it simply, this looks dope. It's clear that we won't be getting this anytime soon, but it's certainly impressive. It's an Insomniac Games developed game focusing on the titular Marvel hero with combat that was, let's say, inspired by Rocksteady's Arkham series. The trailer shows Spidey using his powers in interesting ways, including pulling a crane into the foreground to wipe out some enemies. It also takes the opportunity to web-slinging throughout the New York skyline attempting to stop a falling industrial crane, as well as chasing a fleeing helicopter. Those moments seem to involve quick time events pretty heavily, but that doesn't bother me. I'm looking forward to this one. I want a Kaine Scarlet Spider outfit!

---

Those are the main ones for me, but Super Mario Odyssey and Far Cry 5 both looked really good, but I haven't been a reliable player of either series. A Way Out and Deep Rock Galactic looked quite cool as well. I would've liked to see some more interesting character reveals for Fire Emblem Warriors, as that game is gonna be my jam. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is somewhat appealing. I'll probably pick it up at launch, as I love XCOM and it appears to have the team jump mechanic from Chroma Squad, another title I'm a big fan of.

#4 Novaire, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  5. TonyTony

TonyTony Active Member

Cup head.

Anthem is just mass effect andromeda 2 XDDDD Someone was saying that the jetpack animation is actually the same animation they used in ME. LOL Idk if that was true or not but, funny.

Super mario looks fantastic.

Spiderman looks like it could be REALLY good.

Dragon ball z was a surprise for me i'm definitely getting that game animation look soooo smooth

6. Enies

Enies Famous Member

anthem is another one of those super meh games that will be overhyped and a disappointment when it comes out.

anyways nothing note worthy juts lots of mediocrity. Monster hunter and super mario and new xenoblade is probably going to be good. Nintendo is going to be good lots of meh stuff from everyone else.

7. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

@Dunn x Dolo
    The grappling hook works a lot better than you would think. If you played Toukiden 2, which is basically Monster Hunter World-lite, I'd argue that it's a necessity. Going back to Toukiden: Kiwami and Toukiden: Age of Demons, Koei really understood what would make the gameplay feel better and their transition between Age of Demons to Kiwami to Toukiden 2 is a prime example of their ability to assess mechanics.

EDIT: I'm also stoked that they're remaking Metroid II. I was one of the few people who owned that game and actually beat it, so it was a pleasant surprise that Nintendo is finally giving the fans what they want.

@TonyTony
    I have my concerns about Anthem, but what made me laugh is if you keep up with Bioware's recent interviews about how Frostbite hindered Dragon Age: Inquisition and Mass Effect: Andromeda, they claim that the engine was built for shooters, not RPGs... and then Bioware just said, "well.. fuck it, let's just make a shooter then." One of the animators for the game is a friend of mine who I play games with often. He told me the game was going to be garbage, so I never picked it up. :|
    He mentioned that Anthem might be okay, but he left the company before the game came together.

@Kuze
    Days Gone is going to be an interesting game for sure. I have friends who work for the company behind this game and right now, they're riding really high on the fact they're established under Sony. They were picked up in the middle of development on the game so they're untested which could make or break them moving forward. Days Gone is a mixture of State of Decay and The Last of Us, at least from what I've been told. In the genre space, this game is going to be a competitor to Microsoft's State of Decay 2 and ... I'm not sure what Dead Rising (who owns it, truly) is supposed to be... but they're banking on the fact that narrative is what people want over gameplay mechanics, which is what Microsoft +/ Capcom is offering.

#7 Shi, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  8. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor

Not to derail the thread, but this is the first time I've seen anyone mention Toukiden 2 on here, or in general really. What'd you think of it? I've been thinking about picking it up, but I haven't finished the first one.

9. TonyTony

TonyTony Active Member

Gonna be hilarious that the fan made Metroid 2 remake will be better than nintendos

10. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

@Novaire
    Toukiden 2 is as repetitive as Toukiden, if you're into that kind of game. Kill monster, get parts, make gear. The highlight for me is the amount of time Koei took to streamline the game. For one, you're no longer limited to air weapons to do damage to parts really high up. This was a major problem with Toukiden 1 where getting hornbits was a pain in the ass if you didn't use certain weapons.

Age of Demons had Chain and Sickle, Bow and Spear to do damage higher up.
    Kiwami added Naginata and Rifle to give you more options for that.
    Toukiden 2 added the Whip.

Since there are added challenges in Toukiden where Oni had more HP per part than monsters in Monster Hunter, getting certain parts was a huge problem and not everyone wants to be shoehorned into certain weapons because they can't hit certain parts.

So they fixed this in Toukiden 2 by giving you Demon Hand, which is basically a grappling hook so you're no longer limited to certain weapons. They also fixed how broken Unity Destroyer was by giving you something called "Oni Burial". Oni Burial replaces your Unity Destroyer by giving you the option to instantly destroy any part you can grapple to if you land the hit.

On top of that, you can cause permanent damage to Oni with Oni Burial. If you permanently remove an Oni's leg... for example, they won't be as mobile anymore.

They also fixed Mitama's by having them level as you used them and the boosts you get are switchable instead of permanently selected.

Previously, if you leveled an ATK Mitama, and you picked certain boosts, you had to discard ones you didn't want and if you used a different weapon that needed that same ATK Mitama, you would have to reset that Mitama and level it all over again via actually playing the game or using in-game currency.

Food is no longer a single mission use item, but a buff that lasts for 60 minutes which will cover both your exploration in the open world and missions.

Upgrades are no longer static, you can customize any weapon you want.
    You can fully focus on Attack, Attack and Dexterity (crit) or Elemental Damage. So you can potentially have the same weapon with 3 different builds.
    Armor has Defense, Aegis (regen speed) and Elemental Defense.

You can upgrade past +9 to +12 given you find a certain NPC.

However, the game requires you to grind items to upgrade as opposed to using them and getting their exp bars up. Arguably, you can switch between weapons and builds faster because you can build a new item and get it to +9 within a matter of minutes as opposed to hours. However, certain items are harder to come by compared to the first game so it takes a bit longer if you hadn't spent time farming previously.

In the open world, you get locked into an arena when running into an Oni.
    It's not quite Monster Hunter where a monster can chase you and travel.

Finally, you get a super-sprint. You can light jog for no cost of Focus. You can use super-sprint that uses Focus.

--

Overall, Toukiden 2 is a much better and accessible game compared to Toukiden 1. It's just as repetitive though, so if you played an hour of Toukiden 2, you pretty much played what the game will be like for the next 30+ hours.

The story is short, it's about as long as Age of Demons. Kiwami doubled the length but also required more time on monsters because they were all "High" (5-10 minute kills) or "Ultimate" (10-20 minute kills).

Personally, I enjoyed the game.
    I'm not anti-grind... basically... grinding doesn't bother me as much as most people.

Outside of the changes and quality of life fixes, it's certainly a B-rated game that you'll have mindless fun playing... which is Koei's strong point. None of their games will ever be AAA-rated, but they're all fun, nonetheless.

Interestingly enough, Toukiden 2 has quite a healthy fanbase on both the PS4 and PC.

Oh, I forgot to mention:
    There is a F2P version of Toukiden 2 on the PS4. You can only do a few missions a day, but it will give you a great idea of what to expect.

Novaire likes this.
  11. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor

@Shi, that's a lot more information than I expected, thanks a bunch. :p

I'll be sure to give it a try soon.

12. Enies

Enies Famous Member

anyone interested in new mount and blade and kingdom come deliverance.

13. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

It's funny there are so many games that were great but it was all mentioned but I am VERY excited for this:

The first game was truly a hidden gem not a lot of people picked it up, but it was great.

14. The Black Pearl

The Black Pearl Visitor

That Rabbids game was a surprise for me.

15. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

CODWW2 was only interesting for what was said about the Zombies mode, DeadSpace meets COD Zombies. The amount of dev time on the Zombies mode has been as much as everything else. Between those statements and Treyarch absolutely making BLOPS3 the definitive Zombies experience there's a lot to live up to.

MonHun World looks like it could be a really cool return to Playstation. Disappointed there was no MHXX for the west info. I put MHX on hold hoping for MHXX, especially seeing as how GunLance finally gets some love.

One game that didn't show up, and I'm really glad it didn't, was a rumored BloodBorne2. As much as I love BB I feel like it was a really good and totally complete experience that should not have a sequel. It tried a lot of new stuff, the story was really well thought out, the DLC was very obviously not a cash grab but a way to expand the game, there are still some unclear things in the lore but it's much better to allow people to come up with their own explanations and theories. I liked how in DS3 you can see the BB influence, and I hope From experiments more with other titles to grow and make better video game experiences. BB feels like it was the game it needed to be, if they do anything more with it they should just do a PC release and improve the performance.

I'm pumped that it's coop, the lack of coop was probably what kept the first game in the shadows. I'm thinking the game will handle better with tighter controls and better animations now that I assume they have an expanded budget. 2018 is hard to wait for this one.

#15 ThisGuy, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  16. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

Imagine playing this Coop Zombie game with a group of friends at night, this would just be so epic.

They've definitely got the funding, while the movements do look at little clunky, this already looks significantly more polished than the first game which was practically an Indie game made by a small studio. I hope Microsoft really embraces and supports these guys the studio looks great overall and I'd love to see them be a part of future projects.