Eating right versus dieting, what do you do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yoda313, Aug 16, 2018.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Well im sticking to my excersise routine pretty vigorously. I started doing a daily multivitamin a while back as i am a junk food addict. I also drink a lot of pop (soda). I did start trying to cut back by drinking iced tea at lunch some time ago (though not all the time as i cant always get the one i like in the case at stores).

Now im seriously trying to eat better. Im doing carrots and celery at night while watching tv (and mushrooms). Im also getting into the dole fruit cocktail cups. Its a slow switch but im trying.

I know for the best reduction you need to count calories and reduce carbs. But i love bread and bread like stuff. Its hard to cut back on that. My one saving grace is i usually do small portions.

Im also switching to drinking more water than pop at night. Its really tough though.

My main goal is to make it a habit rather than a fad. Though i did have a dream about a donut the other night :D i do still let myself eat cookies and i had an icecream bar tonight. But im trying to swap what I eat so im not gorging all the time. Ive never been super heavy but ive never been thin either.

So what do you do? Are you a fad dieter than go back to how you were before? Have you stuck to a "healthy" diet with occasional splurges? Are you somewhere in between???

2. kura

kura lay back and think of England

What's the difference between eating right and dieting?

Try diet soda drinks and eating more vegetables. AVOID PROCESSED FOOD. Privilege baking/roasting your food rather than frying it. If you want your new eating habits to stick you have to make it worthwhile. Don't just have bland meals: start cooking lowcal meals, experiment with new vegetables, look at recipes etc. and remember that if you're eating only vegetables you can essentially eat as much as you want.

I used to eat essentially only eat cooked vegetables and never any high saturated fat, high sugar. I lost a ton of weight.

I now crash diet when I want to lose weight. I know that's bad but I'm actually pretty good at it.

Oh, and good luck OP!

#2 kura, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2018
  3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Kura - processed foods is my Achilles heel. Im just lazy as far as making healthy snacks. Thats why I work on portion size. I do mostly avoid fat but the sugar is hard for me to pass up.

And thanks for the luck :)

Oh and i define the two this way:

Dieting is short term and based on a scheme
    Eating right is more balanced and a long term commitment rather than a goal based event.

4. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

I have shared two recipies in another thread you may want to try. They are 100% fresh with a minor modification to one, but otherwise, they are simple, easy, non time consuming and full of flavor.

The lamb is high in fat though, but your body does need some amount of fat, and tbh, whole natural sources are not as bad for you as processed meats or other snacks.
    Obviously the rice is high in carbs, but you can easily sub brown rice in the recipie for a healthier option.
    Everything in moderation.

My energy levels are pretty low, but I find I always feel better when I avoid processed foods and make everything from scratch. Its a struggle, but finding a good set of easy and basic recipies to fall back on is a good place to start, especially when convenience foods are your weakness. I know they are one of mine.

5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Thanks!

Yea I've got start trying something food wise. Im taking a small bag of peanuts, either cherrios or shreeded wheat and a few pretzel rods to work to snack on during the day. Trouble is im still getting a bag of small cookies or in the case of today twix at the vending machine. Ugh. But i did just finish an hour of taebo so i got my workout in!

I appreciate the recipes. Im trying to work in more fruits and veggies. Maybe start up on v8 again too. There was an acai berry blend i liked.

So its a constant effort. And ill be doing a festival type thing tomorrow so ill have to be careful not to blow it on a giant burger like i did last weekend :D ah such is life...

6. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

I posted a couple of times about diet and eating right already.

Eating clean is significantly better than actually dieting. There are a couple of reasons for this:

1. Dieting creates "sacrifice". It means that you have to give up something in order to gain something and this is often harder to do and once you have accomplish a certain goal, typically, you end up losing any gains you make. For example: If you stopped eating all candy, you will definitely be healthier and you will definitely lose weight. It's a guarantee. After a few weeks, you're going to want these things and well, you can't. Either you stick to your guns or you go back to eating candy. All the gains you made is completely negated and any progress you made was a waste. You don't keep those gains. It's gone forever, along with your effort. Your body never got the chance to adapt and thus, it didn't have to and didn't need to. This is the biggest reason why diets don't work, because it asks you to give up too much.

2. Eating clean means that you replace and supplement. Take the candy example from the above, the reason why your body craves the candy is because of the sugar. How do you sate that appetite and not eat candy? The easiest way is to supplement with something that will get that sweet taste in your mouth and not over burden your liver. I replaced candy in my diet with Peanut Butter. I can also make due with Protein Shakes mixed with Liquid Stevia. From time to time, I'll even do Milk, Cocoa Powder and Liquid Stevia. After a few weeks, your body will adjust and you will no longer have those same cravings.

3. Stop snacking. Any time you eat, you spike your insulin. This is the main thing that causes you to gain weight. I have always been capable of surviving on 1 single meal in a day. When I started weight lifting, I had to change that to 3 and all of my snacks became a Protein Shake or water mixed with BCAAs.

--

Over the last few weeks, I've been eating terribly because of vacation. I do a mix of decent eating and terrible eating. Instead of ballooning my weight, I've actually lost it because of all the weight lifting I've done. I've gain about 4 pounds of muscle which requires more calories to maintain so all the terrible food is helping me maintain that muscle. The good food I eat afterwards end up being burned away because my body has no idea whether I'm going to hit the gym or not so it doesn't even make an attempt to store it as fat anymore.

I can now eat a lot of sugar in a single go and overload my liver, but then I don't eat sugar for a while which gives my liver time to process all of it. It gets carried through my body and is turned into glycogen for my muscles to use for weight lifting and a small amount of it is stored as fat.

I can confirm this using my scale seeing my body fat % go up and down between 13 and 15%. The 2% difference is the glycogen being stored (water weight). As soon as I hit the gym, my body fat % goes from 15% to 13%. If I eat only protein and veggies, I can see a slow rise up from 13%. If I eat a lot of sugar, it spikes sharply to 14-15% in a day or two. At this point, if I want that fat to go even lower, I just need to take my sugar down more, but I'm in the process of building muscle so I'm in a good spot with it.

--

Long story short, dieting is for losers.
    Eat clean.
    Don't snack.
    Lift a weight or two.

7. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks shi :) its a lot to take in. Yea giving up is hard. Im tryin though. That swapping is good. Ill certainly keep at it. No snacking might be too much for me though.

8. Pass_the_M

Pass_the_M New Member

I would suggest increasing your water intake. like i drink about 7+ bottles a day. also increase your intake of probiotics. I started making my own pickles with just salt, water, garlic and fresh dill. i started slowly making changes to how i eat and those were like my first steps.

9. Undead

Undead Senior Member

Sorry I have been gone for so long. My mom has ALS and it's a full time job taking care of her.

I've all but given up on diets. They can work, but they can also be expensive. I tried giving up suger. Didn't work. My mom, to prove a point, deliberately made brownies, which I walked right past. Then she took the frozen M&Ms out and I went nuts. Instead, if you must, pick one day out of the week. On that day, you eat all the sugar you can handle. On the other 6 days, no sugar. Keep in mind, breads, pasta, and other foods that convert to sugar don't count. Candy, baked goods, and soda count.
    PS: stay away from the diet soda. It's worse than the real stuff. If you need to cut back on the sugar but want the carbonation, drink seltzer or club soda. The only ingredients are water and carbon, and that includes the flavored ones. Some, though, like Polar, use real fruit juice to flavor the seltzer. In that case, there are some calories, but far fewer than soda.

10. kura

kura lay back and think of England

Sorry to hear about your mother.

Can you clarify in what way that diet carbonated drinks are worse than their sugary counterparts? The Aspartame carcinogen conspiracy is heavily disputed and all the evidence points to it being inconclusive and actually, from what I've read: “There are no studies that indicate any long-term health risks from drinking diet soda. Diet soda (defined as calorie-free carbonated beverages sweetened with aspartame, sucralose, acesulfame-potassium, or other non-caloric or minimally caloric sweeteners) is not harmful to health, well-being, or body composition.(.)I do know that Diet drinks are purportedly bad for your liver but I'm skeptical they're any worse than normal soft-drinks.

If you eat big, clean meals you probably won't need to snack so much. Weight control is all calories in/ calories out (that's an oversimplification in some sense, but -broadly- is right) so you don't have to follow the maxim of 'no snacking'. Instead, you should just replace sugary, processed snacks with natural sugars and fats (fruit/soups) or less healthy low-cal options (popcorn for instance is a good one). Ultimately if you curb your snacking you will lose the impulse to snack - your stomach will shrink and your body won't demand the sugar hit so often when it's out of the rhythm of getting it and into the rhythm of eating regularly. Ultimately the amount of strain eating healthily will have on you will decrease with diminishing returns if you stick to it.

11. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

This is what i do. I also try to lower carbs and raise good fats (avocado, fish like salmon etc) and for the most part I dont find I need to snack. I carry a bag of almonds in my handbag just in case.

I think the mistake a lot of people make is looking for diet products, which often replace fats with sugars.

12. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Undead i hope everything works out for you.

As for the water i am drinking more. Im just still a mt dew drinker.

And i probably should eat more at lunch but i purposely take a short lunch so i eat light. I do appreciate the insights everyone.