Forum Editors Needed

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Shannon Apple, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Hi guys,

We're currently seeking a couple of extra editors for the contributor section as we feel that we could use some extra eyes in there. Articles are submitted weekly and we'd love to have an extra few pairs of hands to help us make sure that every writer has their article under review within the first few days of submission. Currently, we're managing, but it could be a little more efficient.

We're not expecting you to write articles for us, but you can if you want to. The only requirements are that you must have an excellent level of English, and very decent grammar. Editors will have access to our contributor section and limited moderator access to carry out duties there.

If you'd like to help us out, please reply to this thread, or PM either KT or I.

2. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I'm a little comma heavy myself, but I can start helping out in that section.

I would urge those who plan on reading things over in sub-forum to use the sites' watch command so that you're notified when a new topic appears, if you're aren't already doing so.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  3. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

I'm sorry if this is a completely retarded question, but what exactly editor does in this case? Regarding the articles, what are the purpose and duties of an editor?

4. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Editor's duties are to proof read articles submitted by contributors and suggest edits. These might include grammatical errors, or rewriting of sentences so that they make more sense to the reader. Often times, when you write something, it makes total sense to you, but when someone else reads it, they will see problems. Editor's help weed out those issues before it gets to the readers.

They will also have the ability to change tags in there from "Draft," to "Pending" when it's under review, and so on.

5. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

I see, thanks for clarifying. A followup question; is it absolute that you must have English as your native language?

6. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

No, that's not an absolute, but they must have an excellent standard of English grammar, otherwise they won't be able to offer valid suggestions to contributors. :)

7. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

Okay, thanks for the answers!

8. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

I'm game if you'd like.

9. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

Sorry Shannon, I'm yet again pestering you with my questions. :D But I'm just curious, if someone becomes and editor, do they need to be kinda vigilant? Like checking the site everyday or multiple times per day, if someone submits an article I'm assuming you'd need to check it out as soon as possible and make the needed corrections to it. Right? And does the editorial duties work out like that when you make the needed corrections, suggestions, or whatever it is, do you submit it back to the original article writer, and then he/she publishes it? Or how that works out? I'm a bit interested, but I'm not sure if I'm really qualified for that kind of duty. :LOL:

10. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I'll butt in, if you don't mind. We basically just go back and forth in a hidden contributors sub-forum. Folks come in and suggest changes whenever they can, and the writer will edit that into the draft at the start of the topic, or do something similar to address any concerns until it's ready to publish. The process can take up to a week or so, but it's pretty casual. It's not a super busy section, so you wouldn't need to be on constantly to catch them.

11. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

@käwäii: It's basically as Novaire said. ^^

12. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

Thanks again for both of you. :)

13. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister The Mangled One

I would like to help out if given the opportunity to do so.

14. OctalKey

OctalKey 100% Polyester
    Gold Founder

Honestly, I believe if writers are more vigilant themselves of their grammatical errors, Editors aren't necessary. I hawk over articles and in my reviews point out missing or incorrectly spelled words, but those are generally minor issues that a writer, if they proofread more, could have solved themselves. The writers on SakugaCity are very good at what they do, the little mistakes they make can easily be rectified if they just were more thorough.

For example take the "Life is Strange" review by KT Samurai. Fantastic review, but as I pointed out in my comments, there are minor errors, and those could have simply been dealt with by the reviewer himself if he just proofread more. Aside from suggestions on the structure of the review, what significance would an Editor possess?

Also I hate "very decent" lol that just sounds stupid. You're basically saying "an excess of satisfactory" which really is redundant as "satisfactory" is in the realm of "average". I mean no disrespect, but "very average" is kind of a silly thing to say.

#14 OctalKey, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  15. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I've been writing reviews for the past six years for various websites and on various subjects, and I can assure you, nothing could be further from the truth. You can proofread and edit yourself till the ends of time but ultimately any writer and I mean ANY writer needs a second pair of eyes to look over his text. Because as a writer you're close to your own work and that means you can easily overlook flaws that someone else whose not as close can point out. So no, even if we had a rule which would permit every contributor to proofread their work at least three times, we'd still need editors.

Also I can't speak for everyone else but I for one usually proofread several times and do (sometime extensive) rewrites before turning in a piece. It's not like we crank these out like it's a grocery list. Real hard work and dedication goes into making these articles. But even the best writer needs an editor.

4xdblack likes this.
  16. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

When you read and reread your own work you can miss things purely because you know in your head what you were trying to say and fill in the blanks. Proof reading takes your own work so far,but a lot of times it takes an external reading to find those last mistakes.

This says nothing about the writer or their abilities

This is why authors and journalists all have editors.

#16 Scruffie, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  17. OctalKey

OctalKey 100% Polyester
    Gold Founder

Authors and journalists have editors mostly for the fact that these people are ultimately quality control and have the final say in what can or cannot be published, they didn't take the job just to point out grammatical errors. They emphasize on content, legitimacy, and structure much more than anything else they review. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry and have Editors in case a dire situation comes up regarding a controversial article. To the best of my knowledge the articles that have been released so far have just been marred by minor spelling mistakes, and that doesn't constitute the need of an Editor, just the writer reading their own work out loud.

I don't have the final say anyways, I was just sharing my thoughts.

18. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

As someone that has not seen these editing threads, your assumption that it is grammar only is just that... An assumption.

Not really sure why you felt the need to write essays about something you clearly have no interest in.

Welcome back, Schmuser.

StrawHats likes this.
  19. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

@OctalKey: Go play somewhere else, please. Our need for editors isn't up for debate. Thanks.

Btw:

Scruffie likes this.
  20. Shanigami

Shanigami Actually a Ghost
    Gold Founder

I guess I'll throw my hat in if you're still looking for people. I think of myself as being pretty good at English, so I could try to help out in my spare time. I'm not very active right now because I'm in the middle of moving, but I should be on more afterword.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.