Discussion Expectations?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by JennyorAlice, Sep 10, 2017.

1. JennyorAlice

JennyorAlice New Member

Well, after the Nintendo Switch came out earlier this year, I was just curious what everyone's thoughts were.

What are your expectations for the latest console from Nintendo? Do you see it giving Nintendo the boost it needs after so many people seemed disappointed with the Wii U? What sort of games do you expect to see for the Switch?

2. Novaire

Novaire Wrestling Enthusiast, Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I went into this hardware trepedatious, and after seeing how small the Joycons appeared to be after removing them from the box, I wasn't sure I'd ever adjust, but that fear was squashed in only a few minutes. I love the feeling of them whether they're attached to the console or the grip, and although I still maintain that the attachment that goes along with them is of terribly quality, but I haven't found it necessary to use them for most games. I could play anything with these controllers, and I would, if they weren't such a pain in the ass to map to the PC.

I also bought the Pro controller and the set of Neon Yellow Joycons. Much like the Joycons themselves, I think the quality of the Pro Controller is phenomenal. I've heard a couple apparent flaws with it, but I have yet to experience any problems with it personally, and much like the Wii U's version, the Switch's Pro has incredible battery life at over 40 hours on a single charge.

There aren't a ton of titles available for it yet, but I think most people understood that it was going to take time. Still, its had an impressive year one for Nintendo hardware. Some of the more prominent first party exclusives titles that have been made available since launch; Arms, Splatoon 2 and Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle have delivered varying degrees of success and quality. Arms is an interesting new IP and is a fun fighter with some novel depth based almost entirely on fighting game fundamentals, but it is generally lacking in terms of content. It lays a nice base for a possible sequel down the line, much like the first Splatoon. The other two delivered a very respectable amount of content, and are probably the only must-own exclusives on the platform for the moment. Mario + Rabbids is a particular standout for me this year, as I've had a really good time with it.

I have owned ten titles on the thing thus far, digital and physical, and I'm very excited for what Nintendo has in store down the line. We still have Fire Emblem Warriors, which was literally made specifically for me, and Super Mario Odyssey coming by year's end, along with a solid amount of indie titles.

All I want from Nintendo personally is a new Fire Emblem, which has already been announced for the console, and I would love to see the revival of the currently dormant Custom Robo series. I'm very interested in the Shin Megami Tensei game that was also confirmed for Switch, but I'm more interested in seeing what sub-series it fits into than anything else. I would also like to see the recently announced Secret of Mana remake appear on the Switch, I own a every platform it has been confirmed for, but the Switch seems like the most appealing to play it on for me personally.

3. Shi

Shi The Dreamer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

The Switch plays to Nintendo's strengths, for sure. I think they made the right choice with it and if we're talking "expectations", my expectation is that Nintendo is going to find a way to make a fiasco of it and in a lot of ways, they have with the supply and demand issues.

I think if they want to continue to be on top of the success the Switch is so far, they need to release a non-Prime Metroid game and maybe an exceptionally expanded Animal Crossing. They can't really use Zelda now, but they can generate interest with a new Fire Emblem and/or Advance Wars. Maybe release a Star Fox that people want. Just a good ol' on-rails shooter with none of the stupid bullshit.

Hell, if they release a Star Fox game that is based on Ace Combat, I'd buy a Switch right now.

But at the moment, as much as I love Nintendo, I can't justify a purchase (I'm in frugal mode at the moment. I spent like $20,000 more this year than I had intended).

4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I cant go three platforms anymore. I have three consoles as it is, four if you include xbxo 360 combatibility on the one.

I think nintendo did a lot better than a lot if us figured. While i havent demod one yet it seems more on target than the wii u ever was.

If they ramp up production like they say they will it will give them momentum. They stilll need third part titles to remain revelevant to hardcore xbox/ps fanatics. It also wouldnt hurt to cone up with a new ip or two. Did they even have a new ip for the wii u?

I probably will buy a nes or snes clasdic now that theyll have supply for once.

So my intense irritation with nintendo has subsided. Not enough to buy a 3ds or switch though, i just dont want to split my gaming time anymore than i already have.

5. Novaire

Novaire Wrestling Enthusiast, Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

There were a few, yeah. Off the top of my head, you've got:
    • Splatoon
    • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
    • The Wonderful 101
    • NintendoLand
    • Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
    Pokken Tournament and Super Mario Maker sort of fit the bill as well, though whether you would want to count them is up to you. I think they technically own Devil's Third as well, but seeing as that was unfortunately a catastrophic failure, I wouldn't bother thinking about it.

Nintendo has done a great job with the 3DS, and while the Wii U has it's highlights, unless you're a huge fan of Nintendo's core franchises, there wasn't much to hang your hat on.

6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks novaire. Didnt know those were originals.

7. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

The funny thing is all those IPs are WiiU.