Forum Extended Discussion Is Coming Back... With A Twist!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by KT Samurai, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

ED type discussions, especially on the internet, do have a tendency to getting really nasty really easily. People usually have strong opinions one way or the other, and tend to be personally invested in the topic they feel very strongly about. Some topics become attached to their personality.

Due to that, some people get really offended against opposing opinions, as it can challenge their world views, such as their views on morality, or can view an opposing opinion as a personal attack. This tends to have people blurt out crude and snide comments, thus jabbing the knife further into a person's side.

Just a simple explaination. You can see this happen in the CE subforum in certain threads. Also everyone's been guilty of this at some point in their life.

Enies likes this.
  2. Sygryn

Sygryn Active Member

Aren't we one hell of a weird community if we can't respect the opinion/side of the other members in SC? There is no rule like that everyone should choose the same side or share the same opinion in this world. You can debate about why you think your side is right and also at the same time hear why the other side feels the same way as you do.

A fight can be easily avoided in ED just with having respect to each other.

3. Grungie

Contributor

I'd honestly find it more weird not seeing people getting offended against opposing opinions. Not saying I condone that type of behavior, it's just that taking offense is the norm online.

It would be nice if people were more respectful towards each other, but that's something the users and the staff both need to work on. The users need to follow the rules, but the staff also need to do their part in making sure the users follow the rules, and also set the example for the community of themselves also following the rules.

Team cooperation is what makes or breaks an idea.

4xdblack likes this.
  4. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

I love the new and hopeful

5. Sygryn

Sygryn Active Member

It's weird that we've come to a situation where we are simply offended by the opinions of other people.
    There are also topics i can also be sensitive about, but instead of starting a fight you could also simply just explain why you think that the person on the opposing side is wrong. since that's what ED is for, Defending the side you believe in.

I have only been here for a month or less, but i think the staff are one bunch of hella lovely people and are doing a great job.

6. Grungie

Contributor

Well being offended by other's opinions have been going on forever. Not just with sensitive topics, but people get offended just for liking/not liking something. Going through school, people get offended because you're not into the "in" thing. Hell, people get offended by the mere notion of me buying music, manga, and anime, and owning a Mac. Anything can offend anyone.

Also in regards to defending what you believe in, there are people out there who can't maturely defend or stand up for what they believe in without being a dick, or acting like a child.

I'm not promoting or condoning an ED subforum, I'm just explaining the reason why people don't want one, as you seem confused over it.

#26 Grungie, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  7. Sygryn

Sygryn Active Member

Yeah, i'm starting to understand why. But at the same time i still can't comprehend why we can't respect, or at least 'accept' other people's opinions.

#27 Sygryn, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  8. Grungie

Contributor

Because people are assholes. This is coming from a professional asshole.

Narilka, Sygryn and Scruffie like this.
  9. sanzfei

sanzfei Night Shift
    Platinum Founder

@KT Samurai When is the new ED going up and who do we submit topics to?

10. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

I think for our community specifically.. It's not so much that we get offended at opposing opinions.. But rather start to lose respect for the person/opinion itself and therefore treat it in a condescending, arrogant, or belittling manner. For example, I used to use a lot of sarcasm in my arguments as a form of attack. Which as a result, made me sound like an asshole and started a lot of shitstorms. So I've stopped doing it and found myself get into a lot less fights.

As a general rule, I'd say everyone on this forum is well educated, and intelligent. A lot of opinions posted in the CE section are backed with a combination of life experience, research, and influence. Each with virtue in their own right. So when two incredibly contrary opinions clash, it's hard to separate the idea of an opposing opinion with a wrong opinion.

11. Grungie

Contributor

I was speaking more towards a general sense.

12. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

The plan was to give the community a couple weeks to get used to the idea then launch it early July. This will also give us some time find a mediator or two.

For the time being, mediators will select the topics so you can reach out to one of them when we select them.

13. The_Archangel

The_Archangel Shadowbanned

I'm going to enjoy reading posts for days.

I'm not being sarcastic. (Maybe a little)

Scruffie likes this.
  14. OctalKey

OctalKey 100% Polyester
    Gold Founder

Ya'll better get your haz-mats suits on because it is going to get toxiiiiiiiiic

15. Captain Picard

Captain Picard Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.
    Platinum Founder

I think this is a splendid idea! I'm sure there will be kinks to work out but I'm confident that so long as people enter these future debates with the desire to uncover the truth, personal humility, and open-mindedness we can have great discussions.

A "debate" has but one goal and that is to discover what is right (true); it's not about proving who is right. Now debate takes on a form of position presenting, argumentation, analysis, and rebuttal. There will be times when you (and the position you champion) will be right (or more-so than other opinions). There will also be times when you discover that your position was not right (or less-so than other opinions).

In the darkness of ignorance, seek the light of truth. I've often found our own prejudices and pride to be the device which clouds our sight the most.

Shannon Apple likes this.