Favorite Books: High Fantasy series & single

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by AKAnime, Jun 13, 2016.

1. AKAnime

AKAnime Newbie
    Gold Founder

Since I was 10 and my dad introduced me to The Hobbit, I've always had a love for fantasy books. In this thread you can either list your favorite books from Fantasy, or if you are a reading aficionado, organize them into categories like me. As the summer goes on I'll make threads for Sci-Fi and Urban Fantasy, but this one is for strictly High Fantasy(takes place in a world other than our own). I'll try to limit myself to 3 picks from each category.

Fantasy Series Finished:

The Wheel of Time
    - Robert Jordan's masterpiece got a great ending done by Brandon and, the end result is one of the ALL TIME epic series out there. Books 4-6 are some of the best books I've ever read, and I read a lot.

Riftwar Series- Old school, but still very, very, good. A coming of age story with the classic boy meets the ancient evil plot, these books tell a great tale. The combined books that form Magician tell of a war between two worlds, Silverthorn has a little lull(still good), but then A Darkness at Sethanon finishes it right. He has written other books in this world, but the original still stands on it's own as by far Fiest's best work.

Malazan Book of the Fallen
    - I would rate this as the most ambitious and far scoped fantasy series ever finished. Spanning multiple continents/times/and even dimensions this series defines the word EPIC.
    Steven Erikson does get a little poetic with his prose at times(I don't mind), but when it comes to action, he describes uber powerful characters clashing on a scope few can come close to matching. The sheer scale,
    character cast, and titan nature of his work is unique.

Shout out to Brandon Sanderson Mistborn and Robin Hobb Farseer for series I might have included on my top 3 if I did it another day(they technically have sequel series in progress but the originals are stand alone).

Fantasy Series in Progress:

Stormlight Archive
    : Brandon Sanderson's magnum opus will probably become my favorite series ever written. Told on a scope to rival the Malazan series for EPIC, the first couple books have been awesome. I could go on, but really if you don't mind getting into a series that isn't done, read
    these books!

Kingkiller Chronicles: Pat isn't a very fast writer, and he is an obsessive reviser, but the books he has released so far are superb. His work is poetic, heartfelt, and engaging. I truly hope the final is released early next year, but am more than willing to wait if it means the quality stays on par.

A Song of Ice and Fire: This one comes with a HUGE caveat; I first got introduced to this series in high school and it quickly became my favorite ever. This was at the time book 3 was released, in 2000, and I couldn't wait to find out what happened to Jon Snow, Tyrion Lannister and Arya Stark. Since then 16 years and half my life has gone by and GRRM has put out 2 halves of an unfinished volume in the form of books 4 and 5, neither of which has lived up to 1-3. I will continue to hope that it gets finished but until then I can't really recommend someone pick it up.

Fantasy Stand Alone:

The Hobbit: Have to include this. When I was 10 years old I went to a restaurant with my dad. Being the big kid I was I scoffed at the coloring page and crayons offered by the waitress. That was until my dad flipped over the page, and started drawing on the blank side. He drew a tiny underground dwelling with a door that had a knob in the very middle. That drawing changed my life, as after reading The Hobbit I went to my local library and started to devour every fantasy book I could get my hands on.

Warbreaker: As I mentioned before I am a fan of colorful and poetic works in high fantasy. This one mixes good political/religious intrigue with some very COLORFUL prose, and also tells a good story. Shout out to how Brandon Sanderson does his magic systems, and the overlying rules that bind them(if you wanna read about them on the net). I could have put Elantis, another good Sanderson work, in this spot.

Best Served Cold: Joe Abercrombie does good work in his First Law trilogy, but his writing really shines in this stand alone tale of murder and revenge. People who read a lot would probably want to start with First Law, but this ones makes a great introduction to his world for those who don't want to jump into a multi book series.

Ok then(rant mode off): If you made it through, what are your favorite fantasy books?

2. Akio

Akio Senior Member
    Platinum Founder

The Pellinor series, and The Old Kingdom series.
    These are my two all time best fantasy book series. There are 4 books in each. The Old Kingdom books are probably a bit more suited to a teenage audience, but the latest book in the series, the prequel Clariel, I read only a year ago and I loved it so much.
    Out of the lot, I think my favourite is The Riddle, the second in the Pellinor series.

I also own and have read all of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett. A couple of them I have not enjoyed so much, but there are so many books in the series and they are usually very funny and interesting. A bit of an acquired taste though, I would say. The few people I know who have read them seem to be confused by them.
    I think myself, my mother and my grandmother are the only people I know who like the Discworld books.

Game of Thrones is quite good, though I agree the last two have not lived up to the series.
    I never thought much of The Hobbit, and thought even less of The Lord of the Rings. The former was much better though. I love The Lord of the Rings movies and think that they are the only movies I know that are better than the books.

3. AKAnime

AKAnime Newbie
    Gold Founder

Honestly The Hobbit doesn't hold up compared to other, newer, works of fantasy. It will however, hold a place as my introduction to the high fantasy genre. They did a good job with the movies, in so far as they provide a great gateway for indoctrinating new people into the fold.

4. Gamma

Gamma Always be a Dragon.
    Staff Advisory

I cannot count the number of fantasy books and series I've read over the years. But some of the high fantasy that's come out lately has been very, very good. I look forward to seeing what contemporary authors can pull out.

First and foremost, I'm a huge Dark Tower fan. (yuge) Cannot wait for the film in 2017 with Idris Elba. I've read all the Wheel of Time, rather disappointed in some of the ending. Song of Ice and Fire, of course. But American Gods was easily one of my favorites. Really it's just too much list. I'd probably forget a few.

5. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I'll second AKAnime on "The Stormlight Archive" by Brandon Sanderson. Easily my favourite fantasy series. It was Mistborn until I read Stormlight. In the past couple of years, Sanderson has become my favourite fantasy author by far. I just love the uniqueness of his magic systems, and he's a great storyteller.

I am currently reading the first book of The First Law trilogy. I haven't had a lot of time lately, so that one has been dropped and picked back up several times. lol.

6. JennyorAlice

JennyorAlice New Member

See if any of these interest you.....

"The Book of Lost Things" by John Connolly (stand alone novel)
    The "Stoneheart" trilogy by Charlie Fletcher (books are titled "Stoneheart", "Ironhand" & "Silvertongue" in that order)

7. AKAnime

AKAnime Newbie
    Gold Founder

Stoneheart books are on my to read list, now that summer season is over I might actually have time to get to them this winter.

The Book of Lost Things is a new one to me, thanks for the rec.

JennyorAlice likes this.
  8. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Currently reading Two Towers of the Lord Of The Ring trilogy. It was awesome but now I'm with Frodo, Sam and Gollum and gets getting repitive to say the least.

The Hobbit is currently my fave Fantasy book and I've had Mistborn and First Law on my to read list since forever.

9. Toris Laurinatis

I strongly advise to read series released in the 80's. Among them, if there is one to be picked up it's Kurtz's Derynis. 4
    Everything is awesome. The characters are so much developped and the background is really strong.