Favorite comics?

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by JennyorAlice, Nov 4, 2016.

1. JennyorAlice

JennyorAlice New Member

What is your favorite comic book series of all time? Why is that your favorite?

Mine is the "Locke & Key" series by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez. Joe Hill is the author of the series while Gabriel Rodriguez is the artist. What is cool about this series is that Stephen King's son is the writer but he writes under the pen name of Joe Hill. He used the pen name because he wanted to become known for his own work instead of being known for being the son of an already famous author. Especially since he writings usually end up in the same genre as his dad's.

They were going to make a tv show based on this series (they showed a pilot trailer at one of the comic con's a couple of years back and got some pretty good reviews then). I don't know what became of it. However, the last thing I heard about this series, they were going to make this into movies instead. Hopefully that comes to fruition.

2. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Yeah, Fox dropped the ball on that. But the tv series is still under development. It might end of on Netflix Original or something.

http://www.slashfilm.com/locke-key-tv-series/

As for comics I'd go with The Phantom by Lee Falk prolly because its one of the few comics I've actually read and has long been a childhood favorite of mine.

3. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Probably 100 Bullets after another read through. Some next level depth, paneling, dialogue and art.

Right now I'd say Transmetropolitan. Surprised this hasn't ben Netflixed yet and Patrick Stewert is getting olf. That entire Vetigo Imprint is ripe for plunder.

Tonto-banchou likes this.
  4. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Personally, my favorite is the four issue mini-series, Taskmaster: Unthinkable. It's the titular character's second series, and one of the only Marvel runs that establishes the character's backstory. Marvel has decided it isn't canon, which I think is laughable, given that they haven't let him have anything anywhere near as interesting. The art is very nice, panel's like this do an incredible job of expressing the character's ability to mimic the actions of other heroes. The story is just plain fun. If you can look at a comic with a cover like this and not think it's brilliant, you're a donkey.

I was a huge fan of Christopher Yost's run of Scarlet Spider. Unfortunately, by about issue twelve, I had fallen behind a couple of issues, and was no longer able to find them in stock at my local comic store. I'll have to order the rest of them at some point and give them a re-read.

5. RyderMcFly

RyderMcFly The Bipolar Bear

I haven't read comics for a long time for the same reason I stopped reading manga - I got into visual novels, which provided the dynamic atmosphere of BGMs and voice-acting. :p But still, I can't deny that tingling yearning to pick up my favorite comics again, which includes the following:

Spider-Man 616
    I was a big spider-nut ever since I first watched the '90s animated series. I went through the oldest issues, starting from Amazing Fantasy #15 to the latest Dan Slott run that, well, honestly ruined the comic book for me. My favorite run has to be J. M. DeMatteis's run though. His older classics writing for "The Spectacular Spider-Man" were absolutely brilliant. This guy just understands Peter Parker and Spidey as a character, giving him a healthy balance of tribulations and perseverance to overcome said tribulations.

My favorite JMD story has to be Kraven's Last Hunt. It was... so beautiful, the poetic struggle Kraven was going through as Spidey's adversary. Not only did it further exemplify Spidey's willpower to overcome even death itself, it further reminds us just how ambiguous Kraven's role is in the webslinger's rogue gallery. I mean, he wasn't just some petty criminal trying to get rich. This guy is a pseudo-psycho with a code of honor that would've worked well if this was some macho bromance anime - but unfortunately, he just happened to be in the wrong genre.

Aside from Kraven, JMD reimagined several of Spidey's villains in a way that didn't sacrifice their essence as a character (what made them so interesting in the first place), but also adding his own personal gritty psychological touch to the mix. He's to Spider-Man what Christopher Nolan was to Batman.

My second favorite run would be J. Michael Straczynski's run, a writer who's more notorious for his "One More Day/Sins Past" fiasco. He had some genuinely fresh ideas too that further matured Peter beyond being some angst-riddled high school kid he's so well-known for in the movies these days. He actually introduced proper growth for him as a grown man in a marriage, so it was kinda ironic that he had to get involve in OMD. My favorite story of his would be of course, The Book of Ezekiel storyline - but BEFORE that stupid Spider-Totem nonsense. JMS' stories are often a mix bag, filled with very well-written characterization mixed with strange, logic-leaping nonsense that jumps out from the left field, but the Ezekiel arc was good for what it dealt with regarding Peter's mortality, and that very important conversation with Aunt May.

It's tough deciding whether I like JMS' run more or Steve Ditko's though, since Ditko was just absolutely classic with the establishing of Peter's admiral traits of "never giving up no matter the odds." If you ever needed to know what Spider-Man's character represents, what he stands for, go read Ditko's "If This Be My Destiny...!" It sums up his character perfectly.

Boy, I've sure went on more about Spidey than I had expected. I should get back into reading someday, particularly the Ultimate universe version. Speaking of which...

Ultimate Spider-Man
    My favorite arc from the Ultimate version is
    The Death of Spider-Man, that 'concluding' arc that became a motion comic on YouTube.
    And what a motion comic it is! The music really amplifies the already heavy emotions in the writing! But without being too heavy-handed during the important moments when silence is more heartwrenching. What a terrific way for the series to have ended... if it had ended there. It was a perfect ending to Spider-Man, the only way his character should've ended up in IMO. In all my years of reading Spidey, his life has always been about trials and tribulations - and his infinite capacity to overcome them. That's why I loved him so much because he's the type of guy who will get back up no matter how you bully him. After all, it's in his very motto: "With great power comes great responsibility." He's the very ideal of what a true hero is, sacrificing oneself for the good of others. And for a guy that has endured countless tragedies in exchange for saving people, he's one hell of a hero. That Ultimate arc embodied that trait of his wonderfully, serving as a perfect bookend for the character.

Grimm Fairy Tales
    This used to be a fun little "Tales from the Crypt" kind of series for fairy tales, offering didactic moral cautionaries with a vicious twist each time. At least it started out that way, but like most humble artists, once you get a little fame and fortune, you make compromises to your art for the sake of making it as accessible to the mainstream audience as possible. It eventually turned into this multiverse crossover convoluted nonsense about the most generic good vs. evil platitudes. I got bored after that and dropped it.

Their "Wonderland" series is arguably still very decent writing though, but it's not surprising, given the richness of the source material it's based on.

Watchmen
    I love deconstruction stories that break down familiar tropes and turn them inside out, and Watchmen did that magnificently. So many well-written, morally-complex characters, such thought-provoking and haunting perspectives about the apocalyptic outlook during the Cold War. I loved the movie more than the book, but the book undeniably provides far more depth than what the film could provide, especially when you add all those interviews and journal notes that never made it into the movie.

Kick-Ass / Mark Millar Comics
    This was a rather controversial one, and I enjoyed the book far more than the movie, which toned down the violence and the more poignant ending in the sequel. I hated KA2's ending because it was straight out of the "the power of friendship compels you!" textbook. The KA2 comic, on the other hand, cynically criticized superheroes and vigilantism. It's not as clever as it thinks it is, of course, but I still love the fact that Mark Millar at least tried to bring a fresh perspective in a potentially interesting way, albeit with a cruddy execution.

I guiltily enjoyed his other edgy comics as well, like American Jesus, The Unfunnies, and Wanted. That last one, especially, is pretty despised among people for good reasons, but I've always treated it like an escapist story, just a fun deviant fantasy to have fun with, not something you should feel offended about or take too seriously. I enjoyed the movie for the same reason too.

#5 RyderMcFly, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    Tonto-banchou likes this.
  6. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Big Transmet fan here as well. Love that series to death, love what it stands for, love that it's a timely piece of work that will sadly, probably stay relevant for years to come. It's my favorite graphic novel of all time and it's what made me seek out more books by Hunter S. Thompson.

I'm with you there on the TV series also - that world is so rich in stuff and characters, it'd be a shame not to translate it all in real life.