Discussion Favourite anime of 2018

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Kerberos, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

So with 2018 now almost over I decided it's time to do this again. Same rule applies that applied last year: FAVOURITE DOES NOT EQUAL BEST. And this is doubly true this year as most of the titles on here did not make it to my best of year list. (which will be released later this week. These are however the titles that I enjoyed the most this year. Even if, objectively speaking, they weren't exactly the best.

FAVOURITE MALE CHARACTER
    [​IMG]

FAVOURITE FEMALE CHARACTER
    [​IMG]

FAVOURITE IN TERMS OF OVERALL PRODUCTION QUALITY
    [​IMG]

FAVOURITE IN TERMS OF STORY
    [​IMG]

FAVOURITE IN TERMS OF VIEWING EXPERIENCE
    [​IMG]

FAVOURITE IN TERMS OF HOW IT MAKES ME THINK
    [​IMG]

So what are your favourites anime of 2018? Please share. Don't feel obliged to use the same catagories I did. Nor is any explanataion required. This isn't an article after all. Just a thread to sahre the anime that gave us the most joy this year.

NOTE: If you plan to also release a "best of" list please don't spoil all your picks here, unless you're like me and favourite does not necesarrilly equal "best" for you.

2. wastaz

wastaz Stuffed tiger
    Staff Advisory

#1, Kerberos it would be nice if you added the actual titles of the animes as well for the images. There are one or two of those that I cant place and that actually looks pretty cool and Id love to check out...but googling for an image....is not that great :p

#2. There is only a single correct answer to favorite anime of 2018 and that is Rascal does not dream of bunny-girl senpai.
    [​IMG]

This anime, imho, literally has all of the things that makes anime great. Including (but not limited to) the best OP (Kimi no sei).

3. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I agree with Wastaz, you should name each anime, just for us lazy arses who haven't got around to watching many of these shows this year.

@wastaz, you know, if you ever see an image and you want to know what it's from, use Tineye.com, it's awesome. Always a handy tool/saviour for me at work. Sometimes a client sends over an old brochure that someone else made for them because they want to use the same image. (Clients are dumb and think you can just scan it and use it lol). Tineye is great for tracking down the stock site it came from, but also great for random crap too.... like finding a character's identity. XD

4. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

@wastaz confirmed "for the lolz+trash anime" consumer.

Hmm, let's see, I'm gonna make up shit categories to justify all my favorite shows this season. But first...

FAVOURITE MALE CHARACTER

This wasn't all that hard to choose. The only competition being his opponent in the very same show.

Anime: Megalobox
    Character: Yuuri

[​IMG]

Now, you might be wandering why it wasn't Joe. Well, in my eyes he came second. Team Yuuri dammit.

FAVOURITE FEMALE CHARACTER

This title goes to Juri from Kokkoku (with Eiji from Banana Fish coming in as far 2nd. Oh wait...). Not many might remember Kokkoku which aired right at the start of the year but somehow I didn't forget, even though the show wasn't that grand of a success.

Anime: Kokkoku
    Character: Juri Yukawa

[​IMG]

Yuuri....Juri....I think we are onto something here.

WACKIEST/BEST/EYE-WATERING ANIMATION

This one goes out to a couple of them. Firstly Devilman Crybaby. This show was like a goddamn meteor strike; outlandish, off the hooks and violent in all aspects: be it animation, music or direction. Next on the list is Megalobox. They brought that vintage, old-school look art style back and bossed it with flair. Nothing like it over the past decade. And the final mention goes to Violet Evergarden. Signature Kyoto Animation work. That's all I gotta say about this one.

BEST FUN IN TERMS OF VIEWING EXPERIENCE

Golden Kamuy
    hands down is the most fun to watch on a weekly basis. Bunch of homicidal thugs with a few good people mixed in between who are on a quest for gold and somehow nailing that off-beat comedy as well. Also this show happens to turn into a food vlog show without warning. Golden Kamuy is a piece of work, and I mean it in a good way.

[​IMG]

OVERALL FAVOURITE IN TERMS OF STORY, PRODUCTION QUALITY, EVERYTHING

MEGALOBOX. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

BEST SMILE OF 2018

This one goes to Violet Evergarden and Junji Ito Collection for the effort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BEST GRANDPA OF 2018

Best grandpa of 2018 goes to Jiisan from Kokkoku. Thanks for being a great support to your granddaughter.

Anime: Kokkoku
    Character: Jiisan

[​IMG]

BEST DISAPPOINTMENT OF AN ANIME

RErideD: Derrida, who leaps through time. Best not to say anymore about this one. Should have watched some other 12 episode series.

BEST SHIP OF 2018

This one's a tie between Eiji and Ash from Banana Fish and Sugimoto and Asirpa from Golden Kamuy. It's not just me. The anime ships them hard too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So basically #MegaloBox2018

5. wastaz

wastaz Stuffed tiger
    Staff Advisory

@Kuze Trashy anime is best anime.
    Jokes aside. I love trashy anime, its one of the reason why I got into it in the first place and me going all "serious, non-trashy"-anime back in the days was probably the thing that made me quit anime...of course, until I remembered that trashy anime is seriously the best and started watching it again.

I do watch non-trash as well, Megalobox was amazing. But there needs to be a healthy trash to non-trash quota. Anime for me is a way to relax and unwind, if a series is too serious then I dont get that. Ofc, on the other hand if a series is too trashy then I dont get that either. The perfect series for me is somewhere right on the edge between trash and serious.

With that said, imho Rascal is firmly in the non-trash category. I will fight you over this if necessary ;P

6. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Ahem, clearly the quota has been non-healthy for at least a decade. Graphs never lie. Obviously I can't tell you where I obtained this classified info from.

[​IMG]

7. wastaz

wastaz Stuffed tiger
    Staff Advisory

Yes, that is how a healthy quota looks. Now go adapt your viewing patterns to that graph and enjoy your new and improved life!

Kuze likes this.
  8. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah of course. My apologies. Interestingly I did it the same thing last year and nobody complained then so that was why I just repeated the process.

But anyway in descending order:
    Kenny Ackerman from Attack on Titan - season 3
    Asirpa from Golden Kamuy
    A.I.C.O. - Incarnation
    Sirius the Jaeger
    A.I.C.O. - Incarnation again
    B - The Beginning

With the exception of the top two all of them are available on Netflix.

Also if you want some more anime from this year which you might not have seen yet check out my top 10 best anime of 2018 list:
    https://www.sakugacity.com/ams/kerberos-top-10-anime-of-2018.195/