Recommendations Female cyborgs, androids, robots etc.

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Lucian Hodoboc, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Lucian Hodoboc

Lucian Hodoboc New Member

Could you be so kind as to recommend me some anime series that contain female characters that belong to the science-fiction typology of human merged with machine (cyborgs, androids, robots, AI holograms etc.)? Battle Angel: Alita really got me interested in this type of series. Some time ago, I also watched Plastic Memories and I enjoyed it as well, so I'd like to watch more similar stuff.

Thank you. :unsure:

2. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Ghost in the Shell. Everything good started from here. Well, that's me anyway.

Lucian Hodoboc likes this.
  3. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

GitS was my first thought as well. It seems almost too obvious, but I guess it's not such a given that everyone has seen that in some form anymore.

Other than that, there is an anime version of Battle Angel Alita (assuming the OP is talking about the live action film) and I know some people really rated Key the Metal Idol, although I never cared much for that. Female cyborgs don't seem to be that popular a trope these days, when you stop to think about it.

There is also Chobits, I suppose, I but feel like I'm just recommending trash now.

4. Aeon

Aeon Senior Member

In order of relevance. Somewhat:

1. Ghost in the Shell. Main character is a female android. Watch the SAC series. You can ignore everything else. The new series isn't as good, but it'll give you a GitS fix if you really need it. The first movie is a classic so I'm not allowed to bash on it. The second movie was kinda meh.
    2. Armitage III is also really good. From the same period as Alita. Main character is a female android.
    3. Solty Rei. Also really good and main character is a female android.
    4. Top wo Nerae 2! Diebuster. You probably have to watch Gunbuster first to fully understand this one. Although the two are very different anime. This one has a female android as a main character as well.
    5. Kurau Phantom Memory is also good, not as much with cyborgs, but it has the same feel to it as GitS in some spots.
    6. Ergo Proxy. Has androids in it. Futuristic.
    7. Appleseed. From the same creators as GitS. If you like GitS and robots and stuff this will fit.
    8. Tetsuwan Birdy Decode has androids
    9. Even no Jikan. Romance with androids.
    10. Sidonia no Kishi

There's probably more. I have not seen Chobits, but from the images I've seen it's nothing close to Alita.

#4 Aeon, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Lucian Hodoboc likes this.
  5. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

And if you want something a little out of the ordinary there’s a cute slice of life series called Busou Shinki about miniature robots in female form.

6. Lucian Hodoboc

Lucian Hodoboc New Member

I was referring to the anime. It's on YouTube. I have not watched the movie adaptation yet. The anime is pretty awesome for its time. (y)

7. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Going to recommend one of the lesser knwon female cyborg anime: Mardock Scramble. Less contemplative philsophical musings like Ghost in the Shell and various others suggested here and more gritty 80s style hyper violence though interestingly enough with a tremendous amount of worldbuilding and even some social criticism and introspection. If you're looking for a good action romp with a bit of sophistication and don';t mind extreme graphic violence it's a great pick:

Also: I highly second Ghost in the Shell (all of it but especially the 1995 movie) Ergo Proxy, Key - the Metal Idol (talk about a hidden gem) and Knights of Sidonia