Female gamers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fantasy, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Fantasy

Fantasy The Saint of SC
    Staff Advisory

OK a little bit of boring background story:
    Experience No 1 - Recently I was scrolling among one forum (THE MODERN ONE you know where are no categories) and there people were discussing female gamers and ladies were expressing how they are usually discriminates. I kindo got into the topic because, I usually hide my identity as a gamer IRL.
    Experience No 2 - I have recently joined a new local forum. Which is totally ruled by men.... I have two options there right now: leave it or stand for myself. Female gamers are laughed at or picked on. In my country females playing video game are quite rare example.

So, dear citizens, your thoughts on female gamers, are we really kinda discriminated? or is it just
    our imagination? Every time when I talk about gaming I feel like I have to prove myself. Your positive experience about playing video games IRL. :)
    In my opinion gender doesn't have anything to do with hobbies ofr free time. :) However, sometimes society and rules keeps you suffocating. So let's keep the topic nice and informative.

2. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

people have done studies on this and the conclusions always point to a very vocal group of men being openly hostile to women, particularly in co op games. One really interesting finding showed a direct correlation between a male gamer's skill level and how likely he is to herass someone he perceives as a woman. Basicly the worse a guy is at gaming, the bigger douchebag he will be.

Ive dealt with this but tbh, I mostly play single player games so its not a major issue for me.

3. Fantasy

Fantasy The Saint of SC
    Staff Advisory

OK so you can choose playing single players or multiplayers. I usually choose singleplayer. However, IRL determening yourself as a gamer what does it mean? I mean I have friends gamers and I had to prove myself, I had to passs some kind of knowledge test and their first impression was "is she joking?". What can you say about your status as a gamer IRL, @Pinky The Blue Flamingo ?

4. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

To me I think that female gamers tend to get targeted when playing online games. There are a lot of internet tough "guys" out there who all they do is talk shit. Current state I think it is still the same gaming is a very "MALE" driven hobby. But every day there are more and more females who are breaking out of the societal mold. I have known plenty of females who are gamers growing up, and I know plenty of guys who don't play video games at all. Honestly I think being a gamer is a label that is defined by the person not by society. No matter how much they want to place you in that box of this is what you are so they can have a pre-conceived idea of how to treat you.

Honestly I hope I got my point across. I think there are more females that play games than people realize, but don't talk about it. Just to reduce bringing attention on themselves. Online gaming via multiplayer whether it is chatboxes or voice chat is the black hole of online gaming. It gives shitty people adults/teens/kids the ability to trash talk with no reason really. I don't think you can play a multiplayer game without the first 30 seconds of the game being trolled with profanity/trash talk/someone playing music through their mic.

Just stay true to you. And don't label yourself. Nobody should be made to feel ashamed to enjoy video games. It is a hobby. Like watching anime, purchasing manga/ comic books, running, boxing or anything else you don't get paid to do.

Fantasy likes this.
  5. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

I consider myself a gamer for sure, Ive been playing video games since around 92/93 on an Atari 2600 and got my first personal console when I was 8 in 95, it was either a sega genisis or a gameboy, I cant remember which I got first. Ive had game systems, both portable and home bound ever since. in fact Ive had a portable game console of some kind on me pretty much non stop since I got my fisrt gameboy. I carry a pair of N3DSXL/LL on me currently.

That said I do run into gate keeping and even had people tell me Im not a "real" gamer because I dont play Xbox. Its so stupid.

Fortunately thats not the norm, I find most people I talk to online and IRL arent total dicks and appreciate my input on the subject of gaming =)

Fantasy likes this.
  6. LilithVonBoch

LilithVonBoch Born to struggle, raised to strive.

It's not only you, but there are many reasons why you'd believe you'd receive more harassment than man, which is a pretty big lie/misunderstanding of the online communities, everyone gets it online male or female, white or black. The problem with being a female gamer is that back in the days, the vast MAJORITY of them insulted us men for playing video games, which now most of them play and some used to be able to use their bodies in stream while ''playing'' video games, aka just showing most of their tits, bending over with their perfect round ass pointing at the camera, etc.

It's a hard subject to discuss, video games and anime, yes I am including anime in because they do suffer a lot in that community too. It used to be HATED by almost everyone, especially women. I was hated back in school because all I did was play video games and well, that was the main insult I'd have, ''loser all you do is play video games what a fag., etc'' and so did other gamers, but now these exact same women are playing fortnite and COD, I can somewhat understand the hate that these people have, BUT I can assure you that they are the same to other people as well. You cannot go through a single day of multiplayer gaming without meeting one harasser, then again whether you are woman or man does not change this. I could go 35 kills and 3 deaths in CSGO and still have someone insult me for not clutching that one round, yet I'm a man.

Now we've passed that era of, video games are for losers, the only ones still insulting female gamers because they're females are usually incels and I've never heard a chad insult a girl for playing video games, in fact I'm pretty sure they had the biggest hard on in their lives, incels on the other hand are EXTREMELY hateful towards female gamers just as they are towards non-girl gamers. These forums you go to are probably filled with beta's that can't take women seriously and don't enjoy what used to be their hate-free go to escape zone that women pushed them in so hard which are now trying to get in. Being someone that used to be a very toxic player, I can tell you that they use what you are to insult you and you'll only hear insults like whore, sluts, thot, etc, because it's all their feeble minds can come up with, just like they call other men faggots, loser, etc. You'll rarely find a constructive insult online, so when they hear a female and she isn't top notch player, they'll say the first things that come up in their minds.

So no, it's not only female gamers that get it, we all do and even pro players get it, if you need to ''prove'' yourself, than these people are elitist and you DO want to stay away from them. They probably talk in people's back if they aren't good and intentionally ignore them so they go away and with the stereotypical girl twitch streams, most of them are probably on the defense. Women coming out as, I'm getting super harassed, don't truly understand what online gaming is and how hardcore some people get for no reasons. I'll write it again, we all get that harsh treatment, women just think it's aimed at them because they've entered a very toxic place, but don't realize that we get as much shit as they do.

I hope it gets my point across, I suck at explaining, but they really are just using who and what you are to insult you and that's coming from someone who used to do that. I'd say forget about this forum and online players and move on, they won't bring anything but hate, whether it's directed at you or not and you shouldn't feel like you need to prove yourself, if you do then you aren't in the right place. Multiplayer communities are a very harsh environment and filled with elitist. Find your own click and stick with them, you'll find more gamers along the way with them and have a lot more fun, coop or pvp.

Interest1ng and Fantasy like this.
  7. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

I tend to avoid online gaming for this reason. Though to be fair I play a lot of co op with @StrawHats, @Narilka and @bunnydemon326 and it tends to be us bullying him...

As far as people in real life, they know I game, and i will mention it when that's what i have been doing but there are a large number of people in my life i dont fo into detail about it. Being a 32 year old woman that plays video games is still looked at a bit weirdly lol

Actually, I think worse than aggression is the patronisation. There are a large number of males i cant discuss games with without it becoming a step by step instruction manual of what i have to do -_- THAT i find the most frustrating

8. Fantasy

Fantasy The Saint of SC
    Staff Advisory

Thank you. You have showed another point of view... Actually when you think about ir male gamers, they also have their own fights to fight... But it still alot changes when unfold your gamer identity. For example, I am using a personless speech on forum (Lithuanian language can do that), and I am being taken as a "bro" but I think this will fade away as soon as I reveal my true gender.
    I actually disagree with a fact that the thing was hated by females and here we are, where we are. We could go very far following this path. Maybe raised by gamer parents I have a wider look.
    The topic itself is veryinteresting to me. However, as a person connected to young people, I can say things a re changing.... young girls are talking about gaming in way more free way. The future is ahead.... and I hope brigther one.

9. Fantasy

Fantasy The Saint of SC
    Staff Advisory

The thing is either you feel harasment or becoming a person to laugh at. To find people take you in as you are is a rare thing... Thank you everyone around. Actually I should be thankful to @Koda who actually helped me to become a part here.

10. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

That is very true.

I'm in a high school populated by like 95% guys, but back in middle school a couple of guys (me included) and a couple of girl were playing LoL together. One has a Facebook and is very open about her gaming interests, as in, she shares all kinds of gaming stuff.

Everyone is playing video games now. You can find gamers in all age groups, genders, races and countries.

Fantasy likes this.
  11. Fantasy

Fantasy The Saint of SC
    Staff Advisory

That is good to hear that people becoming more open. All I suffered is being a lauging objected which made me to close up and leave my hobbies for myself.Even now when m co-workers talk about gaming they call it a drug, plague and other unpleasant names. Although I have real people to talk this, that was achieved after some time. :) I am really glad that girls can talk more freely about gaming :)

#11 Fantasy, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  12. Scruffie

Editor

It
    It goes the opposite way sometimes too lol I had a guy from work over for dinner a little while ago and he ended up spending the whole night going through all my games and wanted me to show him detroit become human etc. In my usual circles it's not a popular lifestyle (some of their boyfriends will talk to me about gaming though) but my brother and I have always had it as a common interest

13. Fantasy

Fantasy The Saint of SC
    Staff Advisory

Actually I always stayed silent about my gaming hobbies. Because it is not popular around (at my age group). I am glad I met people I am surrounded. However, Younger generation is more open to this. Which makes me glad... :) I had several female students who openly declared their progress on COD or Fortnite which kinda makes me proud.... I never had the courage :)

14. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

Personally, I haven't had to many problems irl with gatekeeping or people who don't think female gamers are a thing, but I'm also in a major where I interact with a bunch of gamers of different genders. The internet can be hit or miss with reception to the concept of female gamers, where some communities don't care and others are anywhere from just kind of weird about it to openly hostile.

Voice chat is a different story. I tend to avoid it because I tend to get unwanted attention or teasing when I speak.I avoid a lot of hassle by generally by either not revealing much information about myself or by giving them something other than my gender to tease me about, like my taste in cartoons (see my avatar for details) or something.

I imagine that the public reception differs by locale.

15. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

- My sister is better than me in Gang Beasts (I can't climb!), she played enough BF3 to take my 1st place position for most kills with M1911 at some point, and she farmed Warframe way more than I did
    - @Scruffie probably owns more games than I do and has an unhealthy love for Mass Effect
    - @Narilka 's gaming PC is way better than mine
    - My girlfriend's obsession with horror games might be deeper than her admiration for me

See, our gals can just be as bad as us guys when it comes to vidya.

I'd like to point out that @Narilka and @Scruffie bullying me is my way to further enhance my inner manly-macho

16. Scruffie

Editor

Firstly yes I do own more games than you. And secondly, it's not unhealthy. You're unhealthy

I like how we all have our strengths too. And the things that we are just terrible at. I play more cover based shooters so I can forget to run and gun. @StrawHats is a terrible group leader

17. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

Gatekeeping in general is really stupid. It’s usually some arbitrary rules set up by the person gatekeeping to “prove” you’re not “real”. Literally every hobby has them.

Sure some situations can be annoying, like me being a big fan of a band and someone says “omg I’m also a huge fan, I love <insert their biggest hit>“ and it’s literally the only song they know. Though I’m getting too old to care, and I’m never so serious about a hobby that I want to make it exclusive. I always felt hobbies should be inclusive, I want to find more people to fangasm with.

Gatekeepers are funny sometimes because they try to pull the stunt on me and say I’m not a real fan of whatever, and get pissed when they find out I have more street cred than they do without fitting their criteria.

18. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Nobody should openly declare their progress on COD...

Interest1ng likes this.
  19. kura

kura lay back and think of England

My experience with the female-gamer phenomenon would vary on the game. Games with toxic communities like console fps games would always exert a general hostility and macho-mysogyny towards female players.

Other games with more mature audiences like WoW I found would, in contrast, generally treat women fairly even-handedly with the men. For instance, in raid groups etc. Where everyone's sights were on the goal ahead and this required co-operation and patience any sexual politics was typically left out.

The one thing that always seems to be fairly ubiquitous however is the predation of women by male gamers. You always always find obsequieous male creepers preying on women in online games.

20. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

[​IMG]