Shounen Food Wars

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by yoda313, Jul 4, 2016.

1. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Episode 8 was decent, nothing mind blowing. The whole Soma trying to figure out different strategies and methods was kinda refreshing, cause I liked the approach he took. It was refreshing to see he needed some help, in stead of coming up with some new stuff last minute.

I also like the fact that the two opponents, seem to have more of a personal grudge match between them selfs, and seem to underestimate, and sort of forgot that Soma is also competing. Let's see if he can slip to the cracks and be victorious.

2. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@JoJo - I'm 50-50 on that. Having soma be super confident is actually the appealing part of the show. Too many times the main character is wishy washy or still struggling to find their inner strength. Soma has it pouring out all over the place.

JoJo likes this.
  3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Wow what a tease at the end :D i love the flashbacks in this series. Three more words i didnt think id see in a cooking show:

woof, detanator, bare
    :D

Come on next episode get here already!

4. Shanigami

Shanigami Actually a Ghost
    Gold Founder

Soma: Oh, you don't think my dish is good enough? Here, let me add my special PLOT SEASONING!

Looking forward to seeing the clothes fly off all the judges next week lol.

ScaryHobo and yoda313 like this.
  5. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Allright...season 2 started a Lil bit rushed, but the pacing and entertainment factor are back on point. Nearly every episode was almost spot on, and now I'm sad again, knowing where nearing the end of this season (or even anime for now?)

The ending doooooo!!! The judge wasn't having it, and Soma was like: just let me take this lit of this biatch...*insert aroma orgams*

Applaud that man

6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Another surprise ending in my opinion.

I really like the use of flashbacks in this series. They arent over used. And unlike taboo tatoo they use them quite often. But they aren't over used.

This episode almost felt like an end but there is more to come!

7. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Episode 10 was a nice way to end the tournament. It's been a long and fun ride, but now that it's over with, I feel we have a just winner imo.
    I even place Soma on a third spot

I'm really glad we get to a new arc, so that we can get back into some more in depth stories and/or new characters and places and stuff. Only battles will get rather old I think.

So if I'm right we still have 3 more eps left I take it?

8. J4sm1n4

J4sm1n4 The Queen of Hell and Heaven
    Contributor

yeah nice episode I can't wait for more! I'm still kinda hung up on Takumi losing against that Gorilla, but Soma getting his boyfriends honor back almost makes up for that. I also like how Soma acts after being defeated. He keeps moving forward. Also What! They are going to start new arc with ;ole 3 eps left??!! Why!!?

9. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Maybe its to setup another season?

10. Saturna

Saturna Active Member
    Gold Founder

I knew beforehand from a friend that (SPOILER FOR THE WINNER)
    Hayama would win.
    I kind of thought it was stupid that
    Souma's dish wasn't praised for its creative ingenuity either because I thought his dish represented him quite well. His dish established the fact that he knew how to be innovate, especially in quantifiable amounts of adversity. Oh well though, I like Hayama a lot so I'm still kind of glad he won.

11. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

megumi is too cute when shes flustered :D :D

well the real world training continues. Is there going to be a season 3?

12. ScaryHobo

ScaryHobo Harem Master

I feel like this series is set up to go on and on and on and on...

So I think it would be only fair to assume that a season 3 is coming our way when season 2 is over. Personally, I think this series actually has "some" meaning outside of the traditional shounen mindset. When Soma said
    I want to pursue my own cooking instead of chasing after my dad
    , I was like "Damn son I thought this show was just food and fan service. I would really enjoy seeing a season 3. Season 2 so far honestly just feels like an extension of season 1: it doesn't really stand on its own. But I think that's ok I guess.

13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@scary hobo- yep would be nice. We need to have a college years edition of the show! :D

I could see an ova where spice dude, soma and the other guy that were tied open up their own restaurant together. They could do the same with a few of the girls.

14. J4sm1n4

J4sm1n4 The Queen of Hell and Heaven
    Contributor

yeah we need a collage ova where Takumi wakes up when Soma brings him breakfast to bed wearing only boxers and says "Rise and Shine, babe. We have a restaurant to open."

15. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@jas - why i am not surprised by your suggestion? :D

What we need is the president and her aide to hook up :)

16. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

A friend of mine recommended me to Food Wars last year after we finished watching Kuroko no Baske.
    I ended up finishing Season 1 in a day and caught up on Saturday after they aired the latest episode on Crunchyroll.
    Loving the series thus far.

Prior to this, I used to watch a lot of stuff that Gordon Ramsey would do both in the US and UK shows.. so a bit of context:
    The Don RS episode was a weird lapse in judgement and storytelling IMO: They had this entire conversation about how a Don is supposed to be quick, filling and cheap as one whole package, but when it came to judging... they never even talked about price once. It's obvious Soma would crush Nikumi's A5 Meat because he would make a more cohesive package, I thought that was a weird omission.

In a similar challenge, Gordon Ramsey would challenge chefs to make a dish with pricing in mind.
    Even dumb shows like Guy's Grocery Games does that.

It was a bit weird watching the latest episode and especially the last tournament because the focus was just that: The other stuff besides the cooking.
    I think adding other factors to judging would add an extra dimension to the show. Don't get me wrong, the series is doing really well regardless of this observation, but this is the kind of stuff that makes a great series into an exceptional one.

I mean, they already do kinda make those side judgments already, especially the Megumi+Soma vs Kojiro Shinomiya battle.

Wouldn't it be so much more interesting to see: "Hey, this is your limitation besides this ingredient". Those "other factors" are always the "gotchas" in each fight.

#36 Shi, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  17. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Wow i didnt think you could make it feel completely different. But this session for soma felt like a whole new series. It almost seemed like a whole different concept. I guess it was when
    he said he was having too much fun to feel sorry for himself.

Wow is it really a
    final episode next week? Or do they just mean the end of the season

18. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

I hope to god tbey make a season 3 happen. With all the battles behind us, I'm glad we get to see some character development in the last few eps. I mean with all the kick ass stuff that happened in the tournament I kinda forgot the dude is still just a student...nothing less, nothing more...really refreshing look at the restaurant business also.

I hope season 3 will follow up on this theme a bit more...and still keep a good foodgasm battle from time till time

yoda313 likes this.
  19. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

So another season is over.

It's cool to see soma grow as a cook. What's cooler still is all the call backs that are thrown in here. Now that they've got a history they can call up anybody they want to.

I'm ready for more!

20. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

I can kinda see why they made this season only 13 episodes.
    I took an hour or so to scan the manga up to the last episode and that was like 110 chapters in total.
    There's roughly 180 chapters out in the wild right now.
    If they added the full season order, they'd be brushing up against filler territory.

Although, the Japanese have been doing significantly better at handling seasons so they're not doing like 300 episodes of filler.

or doing some weird Full Moon o Sagashite / Full Metal Alchemist deviation nonsense.