Digital Gaff Still Draws Occasionally.

Discussion in 'Art & Design' started by Gaff, May 28, 2016.

1. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Picking up pretty much where my previous thread left off; I draw and paint, mainly into photoshop, because I hate SAI and don't understand Corel Painter. Will do commissions occasionally if I'm very bored, or more promptly if you're willing to pay for it.

Recent things:

Hilda from Outlaw Star. Watched the show as part of a group viewing thing a few months back; Hilda clearly best girl.

[​IMG]

Photo study for world goth day.

[​IMG]

And a cartoon of Dirty Harry that I drew as a t-shirt design.

[​IMG]

I tend to put art stuff up on social media things more regularly, so follow me for new stuff, rough sketches, etc. or see DA and Pixiv for older work as well, if you want:

Facebook / Twitter / Deviantart / Pixiv / Instagram (will link the last one later, I can never be bothered updating the damn thing)

Ask me stuff about digital art if you want - it makes me feel important. Also first thread in the section - yay!

2. Shanigami

Shanigami Actually a Ghost
    Gold Founder

Yay! I like your drawings Gaff, looking forward to more :)

3. Karnage

Karnage Active Member
    Platinum Founder

How long have you been drawing for now? I used to enjoy looking at your work back on the old site, but never asked.

4. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Thanks guys :) Was intending to do the next thing I'm working on as a traditional watercolour, so it should be interesting to see how that works out.

I used to draw a lot when I was kid, but it's been about 6 years now since I started taking it more seriously. The real turning point was when I bought my graphics tablet - I paid a lot for it, so I was determined to use it as much as I could and get my money's worth out of it.

5. Zoltor

Zoltor Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Those are good(lol with female characters like theat, you should draw a 1950s style mystery comic ora highbred between that, and steampunk).

Why mess with stupid social media sites, you should be submitting such to DA instead.

6. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Hah, sounds like my kind of thing! I'm actually tinkering with a comic of my own at the moment, but it's a sort of cold war-era spy-fi story though. In fact, have a preview of one of the more complete looking pages:

[​IMG]

I do post to DA as well, but mostly just finished work rather than basic sketches or anything. Owing to me having convinced myself (wrongly) that gaining a large following will somehow lead to more paid work, I just spam stuff out over social media to see what happens. It can also be kind of interesting to see what work does better in different places too.

7. Zoltor

Zoltor Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

@Gaff

Cool, Lol ok that works too. I hope you plan on coloring such, apposed to going the black, and white route though, the artstyle used in the first two pictures in your op, would work great for a comic set in such era/with such a theme.

Oh ok

8. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Not too shabby. That Dirty Hairy piece is really nice.

9. Ravok

Ravok ~Hoping he will get a reply soon

@Gaff
    Hey, Gaff I really need your opinion.

Ravok (The Character from my story) Has Red/Blue eyes, right now a blue iris with red eyewhite, but personally i dont know wich one would look better. So i made a quick sketch so i could hear your opinion on this. If he should have a blue iris and red eyewhite or the other way around
    (Sorry for the bad quality pic)
    [​IMG]

10. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I know this question wasn't intended for me but the left one looks better in my opinion. Red is a flashy colour and blue is kind of soft so if you put red on blue the red will stand out more and look better. But if you put blue on red the red will stand out more and the blue will just kind of fade away.

So I vote for red iris and blue eyewhite.

11. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

@Novaire Thanks!

@Ravok Short answer would be that I agree with Matemar - it's easier to make red on blue work and it's easier to look at. I don't think it's impossible to make it work with the blue iris on the red eyeball, but having had a go at it myself, you'd probably need to always use dark blues so as the red doesn't overpower it, maybe with a brighter blue highlight. Even then, I think it looks like the eyeball's been turned outside in, so it would depend on what you want to do with the character - if you reckon that look would suit him, go for it.

[​IMG]

12. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

I went a little daft with the different options for things you can apply your artwork to on society6 the other day, and apparently I now sell Die Hard cushions, because... reasons.

[​IMG]

#12 Gaff, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    Kuze likes this.
  13. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Might try putting another wash over her dress, but otherwise I'm gonna call this done. Watercolour + goauche.

[​IMG]

14. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

Glad to see you migrated over Gaff. Nice watercoloring in the above post.

Gaff likes this.
  15. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

That John McClane is pretty rad. Really captured Bruce well.

Gaff likes this.
  16. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Thanks guys :)

Was intending to have another go with the watercolours soon (I feel like I learned a bit from that one) and also considering maybe doing a Lethal Weapon painting as a kind of companion piece to the Die Hard one. If I was determined enough, I might do a series of '80s action movie themed images, but I dunno. Free time not in abundance and all that.

17. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

"Can't come in to work today - I've got Juri duty!"

I'll get my coat...

[​IMG]

Click for larger or process video here:

Kuze and Shanigami like this.
  18. Shanigami

Shanigami Actually a Ghost
    Gold Founder

Awesome Gaff! I liked the process video you made too. I like to watch those to see all the stuff people do from start to finish, it makes drawing seem easy even though I know it's not lol.

Gaff likes this.
  19. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Thanks :) Was trying a different approach this time, so it actually did take me a bit less work than usual, but I think it was still around four hours or so altogether (including time spent working out the pose beforehand).

20. Pebbles

Pebbles BE YOUR OWN HERO

serious talent wow
    love all of it
    especially the last one​

Gaff likes this.