Action Garo: Vanishing Line

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Kuze, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

[​IMG]

Lowdown:

Russell City is the centre stage of a conspiracy that is slowly brewing to bring an end to everything. We find our protagonist Sword in the thick of things, fighting his way to exposing this conspiracy. His only clue is the word "El Dorado." He meets Sophie, a woman searching for her missing older brother who has left her with the same words: "El Dorado." Both find themselves working together to unravel the mystery.

If anything, it's evident from the promos that this show will have a kick ass soundtrack. There's a bit of doubt as to how the story will play out plus, given the previous Garo titles, this one's going in a completely different direction in terms of setting (which might be a good thing). So if you're willing to give a random MAPPA studio title a chance (believe me, they rarely disappoint) be sure to mark this one down.

Trailers
    :

Air Date: Oct 6, 2017

Official Site: here

Twitter: here

2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Holy mother of loftiest glories. This show is stunning. Some innovative action sequences and production values are currently off the charts. The perfect action show I've been looking for some time now, or so it seems. If this keeps up, it's gonna be a hell of a ride ;)

Kerberos likes this.
  3. J4sm1n4

J4sm1n4 The Queen of Hell and Heaven
    Contributor

Since @Kuze is praising this will have to check it out. I really loved the first part of Garo but the second sucked imo...

4. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

This deserves the hype.

Kerberos likes this.
  5. DamianWinters

DamianWinters Active Member

So is this a sequel or a spinoff? I think I watched the first episode of Garo with the golden and silver wolf knight stuff and witchs. Didn't click with me and I must of got distracted so I haven't watched anymore.

6. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

@DamianWinters

It's a standalone series in a modern day setting but the concept is the same. You should give the first episode a shot and see if you like it or not.

7. J4sm1n4

J4sm1n4 The Queen of Hell and Heaven
    Contributor

Okey... the soundtrack was awesome! I was half asleep when i watched it so maybe I missed something but it wasnt soo exciting as i thought it would be. I keep comparing it to the original... they are soo diffrent art style wise and story even tho they both are about makai knights and horrors. I wish they mentioned original Garo characters at least once... their story isnt over!!!!

#7 J4sm1n4, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  8. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

That bike fight scene though. Talk about angles.

9. DamianWinters

DamianWinters Active Member

Since its standalone and getting a simuldub ill definitely check it out.

10. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

This show gets top marks for it's execution and its godly soundtrack. The approach the storyboard has taken for the action sequences, I'm really impressed by it. Let's just hope the story develops well from out here. 2 cours should be good enough to build a quality story.

Kerberos likes this.
  11. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

The dub for Garo Vanishing Line will premiere on FunimationNow on Thursday at 4:00 p.m. EDT.

@DamianWinters

12. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Sword floats like a ghost, stings like Superman. I'm guessing the narrative will be moving a bit forward next episode. #ElDorado

Let's just hope they aren't shadowing Edgar Poe's poem for the lelz.

13. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Man wish these guys did the new Berserk series. Grab this in 1080 and watch on biggest screen in house.

Bit shit though for my tastes.

14. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

It's drooling at the coolz for now. Story will prolly hit a high point around episode 10 or so given that this will be a 24 episode series

15. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

A Berserk done by MAPPA (aka the new Madhouse) is everyone's dream but we all know it won't happen...ever.

Well at least it's confirmed MAPPA will be doing Pluto so...that's pretty close in terms of "dream come true" material.

16. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Just watched ep4.

This is easily my favourite episode of the series to date. It wasn't as over the top and dripping with testosteron as the previous threee but it was suprisingly human and was still full of really entertaining action. Sophie is one hell of a heroine and one that I feel can comfortably share the spotlight with Sword. I also feel this episode really brought back the kind of eerie unsettling horror that you saw with a lot of the early and mid 2000s Madhouse shows. The kind of niche shows that weren't massive hits but gained a loyal fanbase. Mappa is the new Madhouse. I've said that for years but Garo - Vanishing Line really feels like an old Madhouse show to me. And that, I can assure you, is about as big a compliment as I can give an anime.

If I ever had any doubt about finishing this show, this episode utterly erased them. I'm already looking forward to the next 21 weeks of watching Sword and Sophie's crazy adventures with absurdist monsters in a neo noir fifties inspired cyberpunk America.

Also can we all just agree that Sword's motorcycle is a work of pure art? Like that's some genuine Giger shit right there:

[​IMG]

Kuze likes this.
  17. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Agreed.

Kerberos likes this.
  18. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Lol, Sword escaped some embarrassing Horror in bed.

Kerberos likes this.
  19. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

So Sword almost got raped while Gina and Sophie got to play the heroes this time round. I have to say for a show that prides itself so much on its manliness, this show is surprsingly feminist. It's like a 90s OVA updated to today's standards. I approve! (y)

Overall though I felt this episode was a slight step down from last week's offering. I still love Sword, Sophie and Gina but I felt there was less of an actual story this time around and what was there felt more like an excuse to get Sword, Sophie and Gina itogether in one episode. It was also far less human than last week's story with the villain simply being an out and out baddie instead of someone who's caught between a rock and a hard place and simply made the wrong decission.

That being said though it was still massively enjoyable, especially the latter half with Sword being the damsel in distress and some coolm Sophie x Gina action. I like those two together, they make a good team.

So yeah this episode couldn't quite live up to the expectations last week's episode set but the show itself is still going very strong. Hopefully next week will be a more human story again and maybe we'll finally learn something about El Dorado. Also I want more of the Judo nun. She's awesome! I really missed her this week.

Also LOL! Sword's chest is so big no shirt can fit around it! :LOL:
    [​IMG]

#19 Kerberos, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  20. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Shirt prolly hand picked by Gina herself.

Kerberos likes this.