Action Garo: Vanishing Line

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Kuze, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Lel, Luke flashing his lighter at people. Tempo definitely picked up again this episode. There was decent character fleshing for both Sword and Luke plus Luke went full Vash. Loved the episode all in all.

And who the hell is Abigail White in Sword's darn big wall poster?

Kerberos likes this.
  2. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Damn! This girl is just too precious!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seriously, a few more years and she's prime waifu material! (y)

On the other hand I daresay this show's understanding of English isn't exactly its strong suit
    [​IMG]

Beyond that, not much to say. Another really fun episode of a really fun show. Next week is going to see the return of the Judo nun so that should be fun. Looking forward to it.

3. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

And Sister out. Finally the plot around El Dorado thickens.

4. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

NOOOO!!!!! NOT THE JUDO NUN!!!!!!!!

:cry:

Argh!! Why do shows always have to kill off my favourite characters?! I remember episode 7 of Kabaneri. I was like "omfg I found my waifu!" next episode...dead...

Fuck! Life if so unfair (n)

Ah well at least we still have Sophie. She's awesome and I think she's going to get more and more badass as the show goes on. I'm all but certain she'll become the first ever female Makai Knight and I can't wait to see that happen and her kicking that fucking Sephiroth lookalike asshole's ass in a major way!

5. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

The style of this show reminds me a lot of the American superhero cartoons, especially when they take those long shots of buildings and the city.

6. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Full out fist fight. Just the way I prefer. An episode entirely dedicated to an all out brawl. Loved the Makai armors as well.

7. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Episode 9 had quite the picnic feel to it. Plus why does Sword sleep bare-chested....everywhere?

8. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

So imo episode 9 was the best episode since ep4. I was affraid that after the Judo nun had died my enjoyment of the show would diminish but I'm glad to say that's defini9tely not the case. Sophie's still supremely awesome and, more than ever, I'm now convinced she's gonna become a Makai Knight. I loved the more personal and heartfelt story of this episode. While I started watching this show because of its 90s OVA feel I keep watching it because of the amazing characters and their stories so this episode was all gravy for me.

Now onto some screencaps

So first of all, a little detail I noticed: the strange contraptions that Sword and Sophie pass by look awfully similar to "Strandbeesten" (literally beach-animals) self moving wind driven creations made out of pvc tubes, created by Dutch artist Theo Jansen. If they indeed are I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see them show up in an anime since they'revery popular in Japan. They even have model kits of them.

I could be mistake though so judge for yourself

Here's the things I'm talking about
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a picture I took of a strandbeest when they were displayed on the beach near Schevening. (a small beach resort near The Hague where I live)

[​IMG]
    These are some of the smaller ones though. There are many that are much bigger than this.

Like I said though I'm not sure if they are indeed strandbeesten but they at least seem to clearly inspired by them. Or maybe it's something else entirely. If you know, please let me know, I'm really intrigued by this.

Now as for the rest...I have to wonder...can this be considered manservice?

[​IMG]

And finally...damn...Sophie is just too damn cute! A few more years and she'll be prime waifu material I tells ya!
    [​IMG]

9. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

What's your reasoning behind this assumption? I think I've seen a couple others elsewhere mention this as well, that Sophie will become a Knight. But I don't get the logic.

10. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Well there are several reasons for my thinking so honestly.

The first is a rather banal one: the first Garo was about a father and his son, both Makai Knights and they had a similar dynamic as Sword and Sophie.

The second is just common sense or maybe just the result of having consumed lots of fiction of this kind. Sword and Sophie have this very stereotypical "master and apprentice" relationship that I'm pretty sure is going to result in Sophie eventually being trained as a Makai Knight.

Also, you can see Sword is slowly more and more allowing Sophie to see more of his wolrd of horrors and there was a good deal of talk about training in this episode so, if you put all that together...

That's just my reasoning though.

11. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Fam, they laying out the story pretty smooth. I thought it'd drag a bit, being a 24 episode series and all, but the pacing has been really engaging.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure how, but the show is tingling my Cowboy Bebop feels. It has that vibe about it.

12. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Gina fanboys should be pleased. They saving the good music for the best fights. You know which one I mean.

Interesting fact is, Bishop addressed Sophie as Princess. I wonder if Sophie's dad comes to play somewhere here being the King of El Dorado and all. What do you reckon @Kerberos

13. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

So we aren't getting any closer to El Dorado in the upcoming episodes then. It's all about fleshing out the land in the west.

14. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

2nd cour will commence from January 12. It will premiere Shuhei Kita's new opening theme song "Howling Sword," and Chihiro Yonekura's new ending theme song "Promise."

15. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Garo is back boys!!! Haven't checked out any episodes from the 2nd cour yet but would have been great if they kept the same opening theme T__T

Garo: Vanishing Line OP2

Garo: Vanishing Line ED2

16. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

[​IMG]

Loving the pacing so far. They've delayed the destination and I think it's fine with 10 more episodes to go. Thought they'd turn up the mad angles during Luke's fight just like the very first episode.

17. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Finally, the innards of El Dorado. No sign of King yet though.

18. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

This second cour has been a bit hit or miss for me. They're defintally stalling and I would definitally onsider episodes 13 -16 filler. That being said some of it still quite good like this most recent episode. The previous one was defintally filler though and the only episode (so far) that I'd actually found pretty weak.

Like I said though, even though it didn't propel the main storyline forward in any meaningful way this week's episode was a strong one. We learned more about Sword and his past and we got a pretty good revenge/crime story to boot. It's saying something that even with a filler episode Garo still remains one of the highlights of the week for me.

Next episode they're fianlly picking up the main storyline again though so that's something I'm really looking forward to. Hoping they're gonna reach El Dorado the episode after that and that it's not just gonna be Sword, Sophie and Gina on the Road till the final two episodes. Though given they've also got Luke and his storyline to deal with and some internal strife within the El Dorado faction I doubt that will be the case.

19. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

I think the backstory for Sword was pretty important, kind of hits home on what it takes to be a knight and also reflects on how he treats Sophie. That final fight scene was a hard lesson learned, no happy endings but life must go on.

20. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Episode 17 was the BOMB. They went all out with the music and the fights. Zaruba RIP. Even Luke went full Matrix there. This show has become so much more than what I imagined.

Gonna binge till episode 23 today. Next week will be the finale.